Rehashing old concepts with new technology

Started by Thorvic, August 28, 2008, 04:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archibald

Yes, HOTOL rocks! Bring back Hermes. And DynaSoar. And MAKS.
Bring the Boeing 2707 back, in the -300 variant with delta wing  :wub:

Bring the Black Colt rocketplane back.

What's the Black Colt ?
Take off with turbofans, take oxidizer (oxygen for example) for your rocket engine from a modified KC-135, shut the turbofans, light the rocket engine and climb to 300 000ft and mach 12. Release an upper stage to boost the payload in orbit, decelerate, light the turbofans and land.

Build the thing using Black Arrow rocket engine plus Concorde's Olympus, the tanker being a modified Airbus MRTT.

Bring the Guppy concept back (A380 Guppy  :blink:)

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

jcf

Quote from: Archibald on September 09, 2008, 04:32:27 AM

Ya, mean like the 747 LCF?

Years ago when working at Boeing, while searching for something else, I came across a general arrangement drawing from the late 70s-early 80s of a 747 based Super-Freighter design that made the LCF look svelte. Unfortunately it was among the drawings lost to a drive problem.

Jon

jcf

Siege engines using modern engineering, manufacturing and materials technologies.
How lightweight, efficient and powerful could a mechanical projectile thrower be?

Jon

dy031101

Merchant aircraft carrier- bulk grain carrier and oilers modified to carry a small contingent of F-35s and/or ASW tilt-rotors in addition to their normal cargoes.  ;D
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

The Rat

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 09, 2008, 02:19:46 PM
Siege engines using modern engineering, manufacturing and materials technologies.
How lightweight, efficient and powerful could a mechanical projectile thrower be?

Jon

Aah yes, a trebuchet with computer guidance. Each shot is read and corrections calculated.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

deathjester

War elephants carrying tank turrets on their backs!
Armoured chariots pulled by robotic horses equipped with flamethrowers,     
The Heliosphere,a solar energised,nuclear powered mobile energy reflector,used,for instance, to set an enemy invasion fleet alight...
....ohhhh,head rush!  Too many sleepless nights....!

elmayerle

Quote from: Archibald on September 09, 2008, 04:32:27 AM
Yes, HOTOL rocks! Bring back Hermes. And DynaSoar. And MAKS.
Bring the Boeing 2707 back, in the -300 variant with delta wing  :wub:

Bring the Black Colt rocketplane back.

What's the Black Colt ?
Take off with turbofans, take oxidizer (oxygen for example) for your rocket engine from a modified KC-135, shut the turbofans, light the rocket engine and climb to 300 000ft and mach 12. Release an upper stage to boost the payload in orbit, decelerate, light the turbofans and land.

Build the thing using Black Arrow rocket engine plus Concorde's Olympus, the tanker being a modified Airbus MRTT.

Black Colt is the small version of the Black Horse concept; I'm doodling with the idea of taking it one step farther to a larger vehicle capable of achieving LEO with a useful payload; *Grin* I call it "Black Stallion".
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

elmayerle

Speaking of rehashing old concepts with new technology, how about biplanes with cantilever wings and interwing 'struts" integrated with wingtip devices to use tip vortices?  No rigging wires required!  Too, add a modern engine and you'd likely have a quite nimble little aircraft.

Mossie

I guess the various box-wing proposals are somewhere the lines your thinking Evan?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

elmayerle

More or less; I'm open to other possibilities, also, but part of my concept is to get some of the benefits of teh biplane configuration without the maintenance headaches of all that rigging.

The Rat

Quote from: elmayerle on September 10, 2008, 05:40:02 PM...the benefits of teh biplane configuration without the maintenance headaches of all that rigging.

You mean like the Christmas Bullet?

Oops, both of them fatally crashed. Wiki entry
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

elmayerle

Ah, no, I still want struts, just sufficeintly reugged structure that rigging wires aren't needed.

The Rat

Quote from: elmayerle on September 10, 2008, 05:50:11 PMAh, no, I still want struts, just sufficeintly reugged structure that rigging wires aren't needed.

Smart man, you ought to be an engineer.

Oh, hang on...

jcf

Quote from: elmayerle on September 10, 2008, 05:50:11 PM
Ah, no, I still want struts, just sufficeintly reugged structure that rigging wires aren't needed.
Ya mean like a Fokker D.VII or the Junkers J.4 (or J.1 as designated by the Idflieg).

With modern thin airfoils of course, the original cantilevered wings were rather thick.  ;D

Jon

deathjester

[/quote]
Quote from: elmayerle on September 10, 2008, 05:50:11 PM
that's easy, just make the wings from composite materials,then they'll never bend.  While you're at it,why not give it blown flaps and a turbofan engine, that way it will practically have VTOL capability!