Twin Fuselage P-40

Started by McGreig, August 29, 2008, 01:38:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGreig

This is based on two Academy P-40s and was originally started about a year and half ago for the P-40 Group Build. However, after building the new wing, it got put to one side. So it has spent the last eighteen months languishing in the half-built project stash and looking like this.

McGreig

However, as part of the cure for a recent modelling slump, I was looking for models that I could make fairly quick progress on and decided to resurrect this, as most of the difficult work had already been done (I thought!) in converting the wing. So I built the cockpit interiors, stuck the fuselages together and then - Aaaarrrrggghhh!!!!  >:(

Despite the fact that the new centre section is based on the kit wing parts and that I'd used this method without any problems on my P-39-based Twin Kobra, the fuselages refused to fit into the spaces on the wing. Somehow or other I must have misaligned things when building the wing  :banghead: and the gaps for the fuselages were too narrow and not straight. After a lot of trimming (well, hacking actually) of the wing roots and much PSR, the Twin P-40 now looks like this.

dy031101

To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Chap

Wonderful! What do you have in mind for the paint scheme?

~Steve

B777LR

Oh, Tophe will fall in love when he sees this! :wub:  :thumbsup:

Eddie M.

I enjoy your craftsmanship very much. :mellow:
Look behind you!

sequoiaranger

Looks like the two inner oleos may have to be shortened (due to the lack of dihedral in the connector wing), or were you planning to have just the outer pair operational?

It looks a lot like the Bf-109Z. Maybe you could model one of those, too,  and show them dogfighting!

Somewhere near the bottom of my "to-do" list is the twin-engined P-40 that was mocked-up but never flown.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

cthulhu77

Very interesting !  Ooohhhh...a torpedo bomber !!!

noxioux

mmmmmmm. . . Siamese Tiger??? :thumbsup:

K5054NZ

OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*faints*

SPINNERS

I'm staying tuned into this one - great work so far!

John Howling Mouse

Fine job on the blending.  This is quite believable.  Would be interesting to pose this beside a model of the F/P-82.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

sotoolslinger

OMG :o :blink: How beautiful :wub: :wub: :wub: Excellent Plastic Hacking :thumbsup: :bow: :tornado:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Sisko

Wow that is very nice!!!!!

Can't wait to see this baby all painted up!
Get this Cheese to sick bay!