YF-107X Air superiority variant

Started by noxioux, August 29, 2008, 08:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noxioux

Okay, finally another whiff!

This is going to be a different sort of treatment of the YF-107, I hope.  I'm doing it up as an air superiority testbed.  It's going to just have the 4 20mm cannon, and two forward fuselage hardpoints with Sidewinders.  It's also going to have 3 thrust-vectoring vanes on the rear, and maybe one or two other surprises.

The speckling on the closer pics is just dust.  The pics were taken just after the first coat of alclad.  It's going to get a rubdown and another coat here shortly.

The obvious 3 cornered rear end is what gave me the idea for the thrust-vectoring.  Sure, maybe the avionics of the time couldn't handle it, but maybe they got more out of that crashed UFO at Roswell than anyone wants to really say. . .

More pics to come.  The scheme may be a funny sort of BMF camo job, but I'm not 100% on that yet.  One thing for sure, it should be fairly off the beaten path.

cthulhu77

:wub:   Oh man, that is totally going to be a speedy b*tch !    :cheers:

noxioux

I'm reviving this one after some time on the shelf.  Gone is the bare metal, in favor of a plainer scheme.  This one isn't speaking to me, which is a shame.  I had a lot of enthusiasm for the kit originally.  But it sure could be worse, I guess. . .

Still to do:  Add the weapons, landing gear, and some serious weathering, to hide my crass mistakes! :cheers:

Brian da Basher

The BMF you were going for was looking good, noxioux, but I think you've managed to replace it with an equally impressive color scheme! Totally looks the part! I can't wait to see it with a load-out!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

BlackOps

While I too am sorry to see the metal finish go, I have to agree with Brian about the new finish looking good. I'm looking forward to seeing this one finshed up so don't let yourself park it in the hanger again!
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

nev

Really like the new look - in fact I would go for all over gloss white.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Ed S

Looking good.  I like the thrust vectoring idea.  It looks as if the aft fuselage was designed for such a system.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Rafael

Man, that is seriously a bada$$ fighter!!! :wub: :wub: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bow: :bow: :bow:

The scheme is great for that model, and the TV paddles are just awesome!! I bet she can turn on a dime!!!

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

The Rat

She looks every bit the champion, stay at that bench and do us proud!

Quote from: noxioux on August 29, 2008, 08:40:03 PM... but maybe they got more out of that crashed UFO at Roswell than anyone wants to really say. . .

Like my ex-wife.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

ysi_maniac

Looking BRILLIANT ;D so far ! Seriously  :thumbsup:
Will die without understanding this world.

Mossie

Yeah, looks good!  Might be worth entering this one into the Grey Pride GB?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

noxioux

Hmmmmm. . . good idea mossie.  I don't think it holds a candle to the F-107 already there, but it could be a worthy backup in case my Bombcorde doesn't work out. . . :thumbsup:

noxioux

Here's the finished product.  Not one of my best, but not one of my worst, either. . .

sotoolslinger

I think that is cool as the other side of the pillow :wub:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

chrisonord

mmmm, me like!!! It could be a trans-atmospheric interceptor maybe, with a hybrid rocket/scram jet engine and some of those cannon replaced with a particle laser weapon for taking out satelites.
I think I have been awake too long lol.
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!