1/72 Boeing YP-15 Peregrine from the Matchbox P-12

Started by Brian da Basher, August 30, 2008, 09:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

Even though budgets were tightened during the Great Depression, the U.S. Army Air Corps was still able to somehow find the funds to continue developing new aircraft in partnership with the major manufacturers.

In 1931, Boeing was working on a new parasol-wing pursuit based on their famous P-12. The U.S.A.A.C. was interested and managed to procure funding outside of the fiscal year 1931 budget for continued development. When Boeing re-engined their XP-15 with a powerful new Terraplane inline V10, the YP-15 was born. The new pursuit could top 205 m.p.h. and was capable of amazing aerobatics. It was armed with two .50 machine guns. The YP-15 also featured an enclosed canopy and very streamlined, spatted split-axle landing gear.

The U.S.A.A.C. ordered 17 YP-15s to form a service test squadron. These were delivered to the recently re-activated 103rd Pursuit Squadron, based at Kenly Field near Medina, Ohio. Kenly Field was one of the primary bases for U.S.A.A.C. service-test squadrons due to its proximity to Wright Field in Dayton. Upon delivery of the YP-15s to the 103rd at Kenly Field in March, 1932, a migrating flock of falcons relieved themselves upon the base from mid-air and a crewman assigned to clean up the mess was heard to curse, "Those frickin' poopin' Peregrines!!!" and the YP-15 was from then on known as the Peregrine.

While never ordered into mass production, the YP-15 Peregrine was offered for export. China ordered 15 in 1934 and Guatemala ordered 10 that were used in the  three-day "Bocci War" with Mexico in 1935. The Peregrine was a small but vital link in U.S. aircraft development even though it was soon forgotten. One example exists today and is on outdoor display at the Ohio Museum of Flight's park in Mount Vernon, just a few yards from the birdbath.

Brian da Basher

Ed S

nicely done, BdB.  Another fine example of those largely unknown a/c of the between-the-wars period. 

Ed :thumbsup:
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

John Howling Mouse

Love the look of that (reversed?) canopy bubble---a nice touch.  The SPATS! are, as usual, perfect for the aircraft.  Nice job on the paint and decals, too.

Bet she turns on a dime in the living room, eh?

:wub: :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Daryl J.

Parasols look great, especially when they have on their pants!    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Daryl J.

Brian da Basher

The basis for this project is the venerable 1/72 Matchbox Boeing P-12E that I got for $5 a while back. While looking it over, I noticed that if the kit engine was omitted, a prop with a large spinner could be fitted to make it an inline. That was as far as I got until I saw a picture of a Boeing XP-15. That re-ignited my enthusiasm and I went back to work. I found a 1/144 scale canopy in the spares box that was a perfect fit once I covered over the side cut-outs in the 'pit. I also found some Bristol exhausts which really added to the hot-rod look I was after. I scratched some spats from thin sheet plastic using my patented "half-wheel" method. The first pic is of a Boeing XP-15.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

The enitre model was brush-painted by hand with acrylics. Since the shape of the fuselage was pretty eye-catching, I decided to keep the paint scheme simple. I used Testor's Olive Drab on the fuselage, struts and spats and Model Masters Insignia Yellow on the wings and tail feathers. I used Liquitex Napthol Crimson on the nose and front of the spats. The prop was painted with Model Masters Steel and the tires were done with Liquitex Mars Black. The exhausts were painted in a custom mix of Blue Steel. The original kit decals were used except for the numbers and squadron insignia which were from my decal stash.

I had a blast with this project and I think it's yet more proof that you don't have to spend a ton of money on the latest Über-Kit to have a lot of fun modelling.

Brian da Basher

Maverick

Gorgeous as always Brian.

The Match P-12 is a super little kit & you've accessorised it beautifully.

Regards,

Mav

kitnut617

Another cracker Brian, right up there with all the others  :thumbsup: :bow:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

sequoiaranger

I like the "hot-rod" exhausts, but be sure to let all those supercharged gasses OUT--maybe paint the outlets and make it look somewhat like this:

My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

McGreig

Quote from: Maverick on August 30, 2008, 04:22:46 PM
The Match P-12 is a super little kit & you've accessorised it beautifully.
Couldn't put it better. Another should-have-been  :cheers:

cthulhu77

Another wonderful addition the house of spats !  Neat, and yeah, that little sucker would have spun around like a skinny girl on a pole !

Brian da Basher

Thanks for the tip, Sequoiaranger! All along I thought those were cooling fins. I learn something new everyday!

If you liked this one, I think you'll get a kick out of the Caudron 714 I'm in the midst of mangling. Hope to have something to show in a day or so.
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

sequoiaranger

These specialized exhaust manifolds were used on night-flying aircraft to help disguise and diffuse the bright flames from the exhaust that might give them away to night-fighters. Also, the bright flames would destroy the night-vision of the pilots if not dampened. Several countries used these, but Britain predominately.

EDIT: These dampeners extracted a slight penalty in speed due to air resistance, but at night, and especially for bombers, it was a useful trade-off for reduced detection.

If you'll notice on some Hawker Hurricanes, there is a horizontal plate over the exhaust outlets. This did nothing to keep others from seeing the flames, but it did obscure the flames from the pilot.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

jcf

Looks like the offspring of a 3-way between the Model 96(XP-9), Model 202/205(XP-15/XF5B-1) and the Model 254/255(P-12E/F4B-3). 
Definitely all in the family. ;D

XP-9

XP-15

P-12E

A little historical note for those interested, the metal monocoque fuselage designs experimented with on the XP-9 and the XP-15/XF5B-1 led to the fuselages used on the P-12E/F4B-3 series, the earlier members of the P-12/F4B family used steel-tube construction.

Jon

NARSES2

All it needs is a big smiley face painted on the cowl/radiator - terrific stuff  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.