R

Supermarine Swift Jet Trainer

Started by red arrow jag, September 01, 2008, 11:17:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red arrow jag

In aid to make use of the 1:72 Hawk Supermaine Swift I have sitting on my shelf gathering dust, I am toying with the idea of creating a 2-seat jet trainer (RAF or Indian Air Force?) as competition/ replacement for the Folland Gnat T.1 / HAL Ajeet Trainer.  Reading through history of the Hunter, it was used as a trainer for the Royal Navy...another possible whiff for this project.

For those in the know... (not me I'm afraid) would this idea have been fruitful? I have looked at a few dates on the Swift, Hunter and Gnat and in the world of Whiff they seem to tie in with each other well.

Thinking of how to rework the cockpit and canopy before I start cutting up the fuselage parts. The Hunter had Side-by-Side configuration for it training version, the Gnat had fore and aft seating.

jcf

From 'Supermarine Aircraft since 1914', Appendix 1: Supermarine Type List.

547a   Swift two-seat (F.1)   Avon RA.7   With nose extended for radar and two or four 30mm Aden guns as trainer
547b   Swift two-seat (F.4)   Avon RA.7   Night Fighter project as above

Jon

red arrow jag

oh! they sound interesting... Any photos? pics?

TsrJoe

... i cant recall seeing any 2 seat Swift drawings in the refs iv got to hand, just the mentions prev noted, altho the recent Air Britain volume may contain something? does have anyone out there have it to hand?

found a couple of images of the Attacker 2 seater tho which might have a 'family resemblance' to a proposed Swift development?

cheers, joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Nick

I've got this view of that 2-seat Attacker! Think it is a V-tail but a normal tail might work.

Mine comes from Flight magazine, 22nd June 1950, a report about the 1950 International Aeronautical Exhibition held in Brussels.

Weaver

Looks like you could do that with a Magister canopy, or if you wanted something a bit later-looking, an Mb.326.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

red arrow jag

:o Those Attackers look ugly!

Still looking for 2 seat Swift Photos, no luck so far...   I have had a look at the sprues of the Hawk Kit and have noticed the wings are moulded in one solid piece of plastics, no Undercarriage bay is present so I will have to create one by either drilling and carving into the entire wing  :banghead: and filling the top of the wing smooth again or buy some replacements? pref an Swift F7 type wing?

If anyone reading this has some spare Swift wings? even another pair of Hawk/ Testors 1:72 Supermarine Swift wings, give me a shout!! Thankyou (thats enough pleading, on with the build!)

Weaver

Quote from: red arrow jag on September 03, 2008, 01:08:59 AM
:o Those Attackers look ugly!

Still looking for 2 seat Swift Photos, no luck so far...   I have had a look at the sprues of the Hawk Kit and have noticed the wings are moulded in one solid piece of plastics, no Undercarriage bay is present so I will have to create one by either drilling and carving into the entire wing  :banghead: and filling the top of the wing smooth again or buy some replacements? pref an Swift F7 type wing?

If anyone reading this has some spare Swift wings? even another pair of Hawk/ Testors 1:72 Supermarine Swift wings, give me a shout!! Thankyou (thats enough pleading, on with the build!)

Or build it gear-up and try not to blush too much when complimented on how well you got the gear doors to fit...... :wacko: ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Mossie

We're getting a little later & bigger, but there were also two seat versions of the Scimitar planned.  First was an interceptor for the RN, but the Sea Vixen knocked that one on the head.  Second was a fighter bomber for the RAF.  Both had a side by side seating arrangement, similar to the Hunter trainers.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Quote from: red arrow jag on September 03, 2008, 01:08:59 AM

As it happens, I do, 1/72 Hawk ones.  Are you in a rush to get them ? and where're you located ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Jetfixer

That " seater Attacker has me drooling, I have had this on my to do list for some time now. any ideas of the colour of the model in the piccies please guys?.

All the best.

Greg
i'm not here, i'm a figment of someones imagination

TsrJoe

hiyas Greg, the original model was overall 'trainer' yellow in colour with a black 'Class B' registration G15 - Supermarine, the earlier Spitfire VIII trainer prototype was finished in a similar overall scheme with the earlier 'Class B' N - Supermarine code also in black

cheers, Joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

red arrow jag

Quote from: Jetfixer on September 03, 2008, 04:33:18 PM
That 2 seater Attacker has me drooling, I have had this on my to do list for some time now. any ideas of the colour of the model in the piccies please guys?.

All the best.

Greg

Someone has to like ugly aircraft designs I suppose!  ;D
Yes I to believe the 2-seat Attacker design was painted yellow (I think it could have been a primer, but only guessing)

Is anyone here able give me an approximate measurement of the width of a 1:72 Strikemaster/ Jet Provost- just behind the cockpit? I am looking to maybe use the airfix Strikemaster/ Jet Provost twin seat cockpit and canopy as a graft?

Archibald

I like it, too. To me it looks better than the basic Attacker (well, not a good start maybe ?)

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

red arrow jag

Ok, first job is to have a search though my spares box for anything that could be used in this Whif...

My search was quite impressive (well I was impressed) finding many pieces I had forgotten I had collected over the years!
A few old Hawker Hunter parts which will certainly end up being used, A pair of Firestreak missiles which I could alter to form Fireflash'
Deep in the box I dug up the front cockpit glass from the old Airfix Canberra -R-57 or whatever it was- with nice looking windscreen wipers!
A few alternative jet pipes were found, by the looks of it from a Super Sabre? A BAe Hawk and a EE Lightning? But may well settle for the exsisting eye pipe as it looks cool and very 1950's.

I may well have to use the twin wheel nose gear also? and the access ladder! A selection of old drop tanks from various aircraft will be used to replicate the slipper tank used on the Jet (Sorry I said you must like UGLY aircraft jetfixer...I eat my hat!)

Now then That fin! way to small, and the wings are certainly incorrect (I am not building an early Swift) Leading edge slats would look good also.
Thanks for the extra wing set kitnut617 I will wait by the mail box with great expectation.
I am already planning to thin each down and glue the new wings on top to create space shape some detail in the the wheel wells department.  All detail will have to be scribed as per plans I have found in SAMI magazine.