R

Supermarine Swift Jet Trainer

Started by red arrow jag, September 01, 2008, 11:17:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetfixer

I freely admit I likes ugly aeroplanes. someone's got to.  ;D I'd personally go for the tandem seat arangment for this one because that will fit in with the Attacker and Scimitar and thus follow the thinking of the designers at Supermarine.

All the best,

Greg
i'm not here, i'm a figment of someones imagination

red arrow jag

Quote from: Jetfixer on September 04, 2008, 08:26:26 AM
I freely admit I likes ugly aeroplanes. someone's got to.  ;D I'd personally go for the tandem seat arrangment for this one because that will fit in with the Attacker and Scimitar and thus follow the thinking of the designers at Supermarine.

All the best,

Greg

I will look into a balsa version of the slipper tank, cheers!

Having a read of this Hawker Hunter web link: http://www.faqs.org/docs/air/avhunt1.html#m4  It looks like the Tandem seat arrangement would suite the role of a 2seat Swift, as well as your suggestion of keeping with Supermarine designs.

"The company developed concepts for tandem-seat and side-by-side-seating Hunter trainers. The RAF settled on side-by-side seating as it gave the instructor a view comparable to the student's and closer supervision of the student, if at the expense of a cockpit environment very different from that which the student would encounter once going on to an operational fighter. The selection was something of a matter of fashion. In the modern day, side-by-side seating is generally regarded as appropriate for basic flight instruction, while tandem seating is seen as more realistic for more advanced training roles. "

Following this info: My Swift will be an advanced trainer for the RAF, serving as a replacement for the Folland Gnat

GTX

Quote from: Weaver on September 02, 2008, 06:25:14 AM
Looks like you could do that with a Magister canopy, or if you wanted something a bit later-looking, an Mb.326.

My thoughts exactly.  For a later, updated look maybe something like that from a Hawk or similar.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

kitnut617

Quote from: red arrow jag on September 04, 2008, 07:46:07 AM
Thanks for the extra wing set kitnut617 I will wait by the mail box with great expectation.

Mailed Thursday  :thumbsup:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

The Rat

Quote from: red arrow jag on September 03, 2008, 01:08:59 AM...I will have to create one by either drilling and carving into the entire wing  :banghead: and filling the top of the wing smooth again...
That's how I'm doing my naval one, as per Lee's suggestion. It's a pain, and takes time as that plastic is thick and hard, but it's probably the easiest way. I'll just reskin the top with plastic sheet, probably bread bag clips, and might add some detail to them. One thing I've been thinking of to save some work is to leave the inner doors in place as if they're up, most aircraft open them to let the wheels clear the bay and then tuck them back up to keep the plane a bit cleaner. Don't know if that's the way the Swift was configured (looking at museum photos indicates not), but hey, we're whiffing here, write into the back story as to how some ground crew came up with the idea after gashing their heads one too many times!  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

red arrow jag

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 06, 2008, 01:35:08 PM
Mailed Thursday  :thumbsup:

:cheers:

Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 07, 2008, 07:55:41 AM
I've been given a mould for an Attacker slipper tank and cast one up yesterday, to test and clean the mould. Drop me a PM with your address and I'll bung it in the post.

I have other ideas for a slipper tank now, but most appreciative of your post. thanks!

Quote from: The Rat on September 07, 2008, 12:18:27 PM
That's how I'm doing my naval one

oh that sounds great! any build photos? A Royal Navy version is a good whiff, I guess a 'Seaswift' may have been a replacement for the Sea Venom? I have just purchased the 1:72 Frog Sea Venom as I was thinking of using the side by side canopy but my ideas have changed since... Now wondering what to tandem canopy to use... another root through the spares box.

SORRY FOR THE LACK OF BUILD PHOTOS, THEY WILL BE ON HERE SOON SWIFTLY  :wacko:

The Rat

Quote from: red arrow jag on September 08, 2008, 10:57:04 AM
Quote from: The Rat on September 07, 2008, 12:18:27 PM
That's how I'm doing my naval one
any build photos?

Here's the thread, I haven't got much done since then. But I was fondling it yesterday.  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

red arrow jag

Quote from: The Rat on September 08, 2008, 08:48:51 PM
Here's the thread, I haven't got much done since then. But I was fondling it yesterday.  ;D

Nice! love the flaps and wing fold ! is it a single or twin seater? perhaps a second seat could be recessed like the Sea Vixen? how have you filled the 'Orrible markings...

The Rat

Quote from: red arrow jag on September 09, 2008, 02:51:44 AMNice! love the flaps and wing fold ! is it a single or twin seater? perhaps a second seat could be recessed like the Sea Vixen? how have you filled the 'Orrible markings...

The flaps will be modified into fowlers, and I'm keeping it a single seater. The engraved marking were filled with Testors shaping putty. I've got one wheel well carved through and left the inner door area in place, not sure if I'll open it or not. I'll probably modify the nose gear into a two wheel one that folds back instead of forward, easier to get around the stowage space issues that way. And the nose gear will have two doors instead of one, on the real thing there were aerodynamic problems with the single door in that it tended to act like a keel and affected the yaw axis. Might also go withy the arrangemant a lot of aircraft have, wherein there are actually three doors - a small one at the front just large enough to allow the leg to hang through, with the two larger ones retracting after the leg has extended.

red arrow jag

An artists impression of the final outcome... well a digital picture anyway!
As I like the look of the modern day Eurofighter Typhoon T1, I am including a high back spine to the jet, following the curve from the windscreen back towards the fin.  :wub:
The colour scheme and markings are not yet finalised (indeed I have not started the major part of the build yet, one thing at a time...)

The Rat

That's gorgeous Raj, better looking than the one-holer! That larger canopy looks less of a pimple than the original, smooths out the lines nicely. I'm jealous, that should have been an obvious idea when I was thinking of what to do. I'm wondering if a Phantom canopy might fit well?

red arrow jag

Time has come to cut a hole in it!!!!  :o No craft saw available so I used a few different stanley blades (my finger shows the scars! very thick plastic!)
The canopy is from an alphajet as it looks very similar to the one on the twin seat attacker...yes the one I said looked ugly!
Still lots of sculpting to do around the base of the transparency, also the canopy is old and has accumulated a small crack at the top, it is also quite dirty.

The Rat

Looking good. Don't forget to thin down those intake lips. And a bit of scraping can also deepen the boundary layer intake to a more realistic look.  :thumbsup:

elmayerle

Quote from: The Rat on September 09, 2008, 05:05:48 AM
And the nose gear will have two doors instead of one, on the real thing there were aerodynamic problems with the single door in that it tended to act like a keel and affected the yaw axis.

Same reason that only F-35A c/n 2AA-0001 has a single nose gear door instead of two; they found this effect very early in the flight test program and immediately redesigned the other SDD aircraft with all the concommitant headaches that engendered.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

The Rat

Quote from: elmayerle on September 09, 2008, 10:26:30 PMSame reason that only F-35A c/n 2AA-0001 has a single nose gear door instead of two; they found this effect very early in the flight test program and immediately redesigned the other SDD aircraft with all the concommitant headaches that engendered.

Good on 'em. I don't wish ill on you Evan, but better that engineers get the headaches than the poor guy with his fanny strapped into the seat.