Glenn's Current Modeling Projects

Started by Glenn, September 02, 2008, 12:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

I understand the kid you were, Glenn: the most beautiful part of aircraft love is the rescuers and fire extinguisher heroes, so much more pleasant than killing machines or moneymaking ones. We were innocent maybe, but it is pleasant to have this feeling revival, I understand.
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Stargazer

Quote from: Glenn on March 05, 2012, 06:43:44 PM
When I was a kid, I saw this model in the local toy shop and wanted it.....but at 17/6d, was far out of my price range. Anyhow, now Monogram have re-released it, (still expensive but then....) it's mine!
They put the scale at 1/72, but it's not....it's 1/67.93. (to be exact!

Those Brits... LOL

Glenn

Back with the tail-dragger with the plan shape cut out.

"T
Glenn

Glenn

This is the ship from Flash Gordon, 1939 made from the 1/32 X-1, now with it's wings on.

Glenn

PS It's now finished.

McColm

Tophe

Quote from: Glenn on March 14, 2012, 01:32:42 AM
This is the ship from Flash Gordon, 1939
Ship? Do you mean boat? or spacecraft or else?

Glenn

Tophe, Flash Gordon went to the planet 'Mongo' to fight MING, I don't think he went in a boat!
Glenn

Tophe

OK, thanks for the explanation, but why having (little) wings in outer space?

Cobra

Tophe,Flash Gordon was done in the 1930's,that was How they Saw Spaceships,more often Called Rocketships back then. Hope this Helps.Dan

Tophe

Thanks. I understand. Some scientists probably said "outer space is almost full vacuum" but dreamers did not hear them, or did not care, or what-ifed anyway - I will not say they were wrong ;)

Glenn

Also I think, the public would see them as more real, with wings (like real aircraft) a bit like cars. In the mid 1930's the Cord motor company built the Cord 812 Roadster......what a beautiful beast! It was built with a Lycoming air cooled engine, but when the car went on sale, they had to add a false radiator grill as it had to look like a 'normal' automobile....even though it sold for $35k back then!
Glenn

Stargazer

Very true. The public is conservative when it comes to spending big bucks and/or entrusting their lives into the hands of a moving machine.

That's partly why Boeing's Dreamliner got built and not the Sonic Shuttle!

I guess if they could make an asymmetric airliner to fly better than a regular one, they'd have to add fake symmetric elements to reassure the passengers! And if a flying wing airliner ever flies, they'll add a fake tail fin on it!!!

NARSES2

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on March 16, 2012, 06:45:12 AM
Very true. The public is conservative when it comes to spending big bucks and/or entrusting their lives into the hands of a moving machine.

Yup which is why airline seats face forwards rather then backwards which would be far safer in a crash - if you can be safer in an airline crash ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

RussC

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on March 16, 2012, 06:45:12 AM

That's partly why Boeing's Dreamliner got built and not the Sonic Shuttle!

I guess if they could make an asymmetric airliner to fly better than a regular one, they'd have to add fake symmetric elements to reassure the passengers! And if a flying wing airliner ever flies, they'll add a fake tail fin on it!!!

And you're probably right.........Also the big kicker about flying wings is that unless someone invents Star Trek Genre transparent aluminium, only the seats at the leading edge can have a window and that would also grate on ticket buyers.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

Glenn

Another high wing tail dragger, but this time....a little bigger.

Glenn