Glenn's Current Modeling Projects

Started by Glenn, September 02, 2008, 12:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn

Tophe, 'A Long Time Ago, In A Galaxy Far, Far Away'...kits were made to 'fit box', so companies like Revell/Monogram built their models to fit the boxes. Like their Martin Mariner scaled at 1/115, and their Douglas A-1 at 1/40. You couldn't have a collection of models at the same scale, unless it was the one model painted in different colours. So, delve into the mind of Revell....look into their past, and find the treasure......a clue, X-3.
Bugger, I've given it away!!
Glenn

Glenn

Final shot of the Lippisch....and yes, it started off as a Revell 1/69 Douglas X-3. I mean, what else would you do with one of those old Revell models.....yeah, put your foot through it is one option, but we are 'wiffers' and we don't do that, do we?
Glenn

Tophe

Incredible!
Yes you mentionned this X-3 above but I thought: impossible, he said that only as example of "scale to fit" by Revell. Now that you force me to a second look...

[picture from http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/DOUGLAS%20X-3%20STILETTO%20PAGE.htm saying there Scale 1/65]
(a kit that I built actually in the 1970s - ignoring the scale of it)
I recognize the "cockpit" curve, the air intakes, the jet exhausts, while ALL the rest is brand new, in a completely different silhouette! What-ifism at its very best! :thumbsup: :bow:
Was I blind or are you coming from another planet, Glenn? almost impossible for us to guess the answers to your puzzles ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Glenn

Back with the US bombers, this is 3 of 4 finished, (gear up) the B-56. Built as a B-47 with more powerful engines but wasn't built.....pity, they could have flogged it off to us, but we had the Canberra at the time.
Glenn

Glenn

'Flying high' over the world, this B-56 on a S.A.C. mission.......if only? Anyhow, this is the last shot of this 'till I add the undercart, but best news today, the XB-53 is finished. You'll see her in the naxt batch, (now I know how to add the photos to the computer)
Model :hobbycraft 1/144 B-47 and a fret saw.
Glenn

Glenn

OK, back with the 'Essex'. At this stage, construction is near an end, with its new R.R. Avon engines mounted in between the main undercarriage. The tailwheel will be given an extra length, so takeoff and landing will be flat, and the jet thrust won't be aimed at the tarmac. Built to replace the Lincoln, before the arrival of the 'Shack'.
Glenn

PS A mate looked at the kit box and I said, "It doesn't look like that now!"...and he answered, "It doesn't have bloody jets does it?"
PPS : The jet engine started off as the modified fuselage of a Gladiator.

Glenn

Back with the Thomas Morse...and starting to rig the tail/tailplane. The fuselage is finished the 'wasp' is hand painted, as seen in the movie 'Dawn Patrol'. The wing roundals will be more of a problem, as the Camels' decals are too large.....long way off. At present, the starboard tail has been rigged, now to the port.
Glenn

Glenn

A couple of years ago, I bought a P-36 and turned it into a P-42. (not shot yet) Well, at the PX in May, I picked up a second one...this time I'm doing a P-37. Originally I thought this would be a nightmare, but once you cut down the fuselage to canopy height and remove the forward section....make the fuselage wider forward of the tail, assemble the cockpit, and then cut the floor and bulkhead back to fit, that's the hard bits done. At present, I'm working on the engine.....actually, to look at the profile...it looks like an inline Gee Bee!
Glenn

Tophe

I thought this was the first P-37 model ever and I was very pleased, but - to confirm - I asked Internet and... why are you scratchbuilding this one Glenn? Cheaper? Disliking resin? Improving the P-37 in an even more what-if way?

Glenn

Tophe, how well do you know me? I don't think you know me at all! I don't find pleasure in building a kit, (out of the box) when I can butcher/scratch a model......not because I 'have to', but because I 'want to!' Think of how many models I've put on this page that have been 'out of the box'?
Sorry, its not me.
Glenn

Tophe

Sorry Glenn, I did not pretend to know you... Just: it is rather difficult for me to understand, but each one is different, with a personal richness I agree completely.
I think you are close to genius when you invent and build so well a Lippisch X-3 twin-jet delta (or the coming 4-engined P-38), but if you ever try to build a classical Spitfire V from a classical P-38 box, this will require accute skills I agree, but I will not understand well this use of them, sorry. This is not spoilage at all, do your own way, no problem, I am just surprised, sorry. I am crazy, we are all differently crazy here, understanding each others is a miracle, not always, for sure.
Mainly, if you have pleasure modelling/transforming, making us appreciate your scratchbuilding skills, Photoshop skills, every one is happy. -_-

Glenn

This will be a change.....a Prototype! Actually the Draken prototype....found it in an American mag on prototypes...a few years ago. At this stage it half finished.
Kit used : Airfix 1/72 Saab Draken
Scale of model : 1/48
Glenn

Tophe

a wonderful picture of the Lildraken is there:
http://media.photobucket.com/image/lildraken/austrianwings/drakenartikel/lildraken.jpg
having it as scale model would be wonderful, thanks!
:thumbsup:

Glenn

Tophe, a while ago, you converted a P-38 to a glider...right, well seeing I had bits left over from three 1/48 Lightnings......I thought I might have a go at something unique.
This is the box top....the start of the model will be next time.
Glenn

Tophe

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: do it, please do it :thumbsup: (someday, no hurry, you have so many already started...) -_-