Glenn's Current Modeling Projects

Started by Glenn, September 02, 2008, 12:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn

Ok, I know, it looks nothing like a Lightning, right! The only bits I used were the upper and lower wing/fuselage unit. Once glued together, cut off the engine pods and re-shaped the leading edge of the wing, at the cut-off point, and then added the outer wings, cutting off the trailing edge so I'd have a sharp swept wing. The scale is now 1/35, and the pilot, (enclosed) lays in the prone position. Haven't worked out what the canopy will look like yet, thats the least of my worries.
Glenn

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Glenn

Now this isn't really a 'what if', but it would be, if you were trying to buy one! This is the 1956 Merit 1/24sc model of Donald Campbells' Bluebird. The figure is a F1 manager made by Fujimi, and the teddy bear is made from sculpy.
And you want to know the remarkable thing.................I still have the box!
Glenn

Mossie

Heck, a collector would pay you a small fortune for that, Donald Campbell stuff goes for silly prices.  Although it was before my time, I still get the chills when I watch the footage of Bluebird getting airborne on Coniston Water.

Lovely model Glenn, the figure really sets it off.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Glenn

Second shot of Bluebird....yeah, a mate told me I could probably sell the box for 'an arm and a leg', maybe....!
Glenn

Glenn

I added this shot to the 'real aircraft' today, to see how long it would take to work out it was a fake. (less than half an hour) This is what I did to a Tomcat, converting it to 'SwitchBlade'.
Glenn

D-Angle

Have you thought of sending some pictures of the Bluebird to the Bluebird Restoration Project? I have been following the rebuild for some time and they love to hear about this sort of thing.

http://www.bluebirdproject.com/Bluebirdproject/

Glenn

Another shot of SwitchBlade, this time with wings fully extended.
Glenn

Glenn

Ok, back with the Bolingbroke, flying along in her Swedish markings but, I don't think the Swedes would have kept the name. So, think of a swedish sea bird and please re-name it.
Glenn

Glenn

Back when I first got on the web, I downloaded lots of Luft'46 stuff, including this little beauty.

Glenn

Sorry, I hit the wrong button....anyhow, this will be the Heinkel 'Wespe', VTOL turboprop design to protect factories. I've scaled the model at 1/35 and the two halves are made from fibreglass. So far, the intake and tailpipe have been added and the cockpit floor. In the info on the aircraft, it says that the pilot sat above the intake....but while attempting to mount a 1/35 figure into the cockpit, it won't fit.....so, the only way for a pilot to fit into the cockpit will be prone. So, thats how I'm doing it. It looks like a bullet with an open cylinder mounted central and short stubby wings and three tail units.
I'm glad I wasn't the pilot.
Glenn

Tophe

Your mentionning 1/35:
Quote from: Glenn on August 09, 2009, 08:38:31 PM
this will be the Heinkel 'Wespe',
....but while attempting to mount a 1/35 figure into the cockpit, it won't fit.....so, the only way for a pilot to fit into the cockpit will be prone. So, thats how I'm doing it. It looks like a bullet with an open cylinder mounted central and short stubby wings and three tail units.
I'm glad I wasn't the pilot.
reminded me your saying previously the same 1/35 prone for your P-38:
Quote from: Glenn on August 03, 2009, 07:17:38 PM
Ok, I know, it looks nothing like a Lightning, right!
The scale is now 1/35, and the pilot, (enclosed) lays in the prone position.
Do you mean a 1/72 kit with a 1/35 pilot, meaning a tiny airplane? yes? Even from 1/48 this would be greatly interesting... Please tell us more. I had not understood at first how unusual   :blink: :wub: this was.

Glenn

Tophe, I made the model 1/35 sc so I 'could' add a pilot. The aircraft was small, with a (proposed) length of 6.2m
(20' 4") and a span of 5m. (16' 5") The two glass halves are 5.5" long (17') and with the tails added, will bring up the 20'.
With the P-38 glider, I thought 1/35 sc would make it big enough to be a fast flyer.
Glenn

Glenn

This is a 'Travel Air Mystery Ship' as it looked in the 1930's movies as a Fokker DVII. (or will be when finished)
The plans show the aircraft with it's H.S. engine, but with it's false radiator, looks the WW1 part. It's real radiator is below, in front of the undercart. (not added yet!) I have to find the video of the movie 'Dawn Patrol', to work out a colour scheme, so, at present it's shelved.
Glenn

Tophe

Quote from: Glenn on August 10, 2009, 08:32:46 PM
With the P-38 glider, I thought 1/35 sc would make it big enough to be a fast flyer.
Sorry to ask question again... but is it "1/35 from 1/48" (pilot 37% bigger) or "1/35 from 1/72" (pilot 106% bigger)? Both would be nice while I need a scale basis to try a drawing, for my fantasy Lightning site.