Started by Glenn, September 02, 2008, 12:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

incredible camo, opposite to low-viz... and a good target for the enemy ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Tophe on May 01, 2016, 08:24:20 PM
incredible camo, opposite to low-viz... and a good target for the enemy ;D

The formation aircraft never went over the enemy coast, they just circled above the bases and returned when their bomb groups had formatted correctly. There were some AMAZING colour schemes on those aircraft, mostly B-24s for some reason. I did a B-24D in one of them many years ago.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

B-24's: A much under-rated aircraft. IIRC, more built than B-17's, more flown in combat, each averaging more missions, tough & reliable.

Formation aircraft are wildly colourful but, then, they were meant to be, as each had to have a unique, distinct colour scheme (a bit like clowns, really) so pilots only needed to be shown a photo/picture of the aircraft & know which to follow.

Not my cuppa for modelling but I like the look of them. ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 03, 2016, 03:53:42 AM
B-24's: A much under-rated aircraft. IIRC, more built than B-17's, more flown in combat, each averaging more missions, tough & reliable.

Yup, it's just that the 17 seemed to get the publicity both during and after the War for some reason. Maybe the name struck a chord with the public ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 03, 2016, 07:32:43 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on May 03, 2016, 03:53:42 AM

Yup, it's just that the 17 seemed to get the publicity both during and after the War for some reason. Maybe the name struck a chord with the public ?

Flying Fortress looked a bit sexier than the Liberator, too.

(Actually, I like the Liberator name more. :blink: )

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 03, 2016, 09:04:52 AM
[

Flying Fortress looked a bit sexier than the Liberator, too.

More streamlined for sure. I've never ever thought of it as sexy, indeed I don't think I've applied that term to any aircraft ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Nor do I ... well, not really ... not often, anyway ... but others do & I've noticed that "sexy" often refers to streamlined phallic shapes ... bit of a worry, to be honest. :blink:

NARSES2

PR19_Kit

I MUCH prefer the B-24 to the B-17, it's got longer wings for a start,  ;) but the nosewheel gear is so 'modern' for the period.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Glenn

For those of you who know what this is....good, for those who don't, buy the book, The Last Hero and flick through the pages. My mum asked me how BIG it was going to be, and I told her not to worry, as the wings fold up for speed and won't take up much space! (that's if it is built properly)

I've scaled it at around 1/72 going by the size of the cockpit and is completely made from ply and balsa.

Glenn

Tophe

I don't know the book while I think this is not fantasy only. Almost the same shape was featured on the US fighter project Davies Manta, if I remember well. This model of yours will be interesting :thumbsup:

Glenn

This photo was taken about 3 months ago and is the first time I saw the P 166 in it's colours. At present, have added the Ansett markings as Airlines of  N.S.W. Should be finished around August.

Glenn

McColm

Tophe

God bless Glenn, our king of scratchbuilding... :bow:

Glenn

As the Pzkw 171 finished off with the G model, I decided to introduce a K model. Using Evergreen looked for ways to improve the defensive character of the vehicle. I think, as it is now.....a lot heavier than the original Panther, but more protected.
There will be side skirting, but that will be after the undercart is painted and tracks added. With the extension of the turret, I thought extra storage, but also a mounting for a 20mm weapon hidden in the rear. Only an idea?

Scale 1/35
Model Tamiya model A

Glenn