Glenn's Current Modeling Projects

Started by Glenn, September 02, 2008, 12:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn

This is the SUPERQUICK rural school, but the more I look at it, the more I look for Doc Martin, or...are all English rural schools the same?
Glenn

NARSES2

Schools built in that time frame - anywhere from late Victorian through to the 30's would probably look very similar. In the same way during the early 50's a lot of secondary schools (Secondary moderns in particular) were all laid out in the same way and to the same design. the one I went to in the 60's looked exactly like a dozen others of the same period I've seen throughout the country. I assume even the internal layout - gym, labs, wood/metal working rooms - was the same ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

It looks remarkably similar to one primary school I went to in Carlton Minniot in Yorkshire!

I can almost hear the head, Mr Coleman, yelling 'We wornt stand for any more of this continual mooking abart!'  ;D

[Yorkshire accent off]
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: Glenn on March 28, 2017, 06:52:27 PM

This is the SUPERQUICK rural school, but the more I look at it, the more I look for Doc Martin, or...are all English rural schools the same?
Glenn

A huge number of English rural schools ARE the same.  After  compulsory primary education was introduced in the 1870's, there was a rush of school building.  I think it was the  " Local Government Board"  offered three or four standard designs that just about every local school board used.          I've taught in a couple of schools built to these designs, and they are pretty good ......well lit, heated and ventilated.....and VERY robust.  An artic ran into one and wrote off  the truck, the school building had a few chips in the wall.   
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

A Horsa glider undershot the runway at Upper Heyford when I lived there and hit the village school (which was carefully located right on the end of the runway!) and killed everyone aboard. None of us pupils even noticed, apart from hearing the bang, and were all ushered out by a different route. The school's still standing I believe.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Glenn

The back bit....and you're right about the schools....I can name at least 3 schools here in Brisbane that came from the same mold, Stafford, Oakleigh, Milton.
Glenn

TheChronicOne

Too cool, man.  I love it... 

The gable there could use a bit of fastening but I'm sure you're well aware. 

These illicit imagination! I want to stroll up and peer through the windows... and try the door!  :wub:
-Sprues McDuck-

Glenn

As you can see, this is the AD4W, but while looking at it...painting the yellow Suez stripes I realised the fuselage was too short. Checking the fuselage, between extended cockpit bump and tail faring, there wasn't enough room for the yellow-black-yellow-black-yellow stripes. So, now it's grounded with the tail cut off .....the things I do for Douglas!
Glenn

Tophe

Quote from: Glenn on April 03, 2017, 06:58:23 PM
I realised the fuselage was too short.
This is whif invention, this is good, this is the best! ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Glenn

No Tophe..the AD4W were used by the Royal Navy, the French Navy and, of course...the U.S.Navy.
Glenn

Tophe

I was meaning: with a shorter fuselage than Real World, this is invention actually, creation... ;)

Glenn

Maybe Tophe, but it was looking like a 'sailplane'.....just wouldn't do!
Anyhow, from this view...you can't see how short it really is.
Glenn

Tophe

Glenn

If you don't know it's shape....this is a Mixmaster, or...a Douglas XB-42. (or, it will be when it's finished!)
Scale: 1/48
Construction :balsa.
Glenn

Tophe

Great!
Congratulations to our scratchbuild Master! :thumbsup: