Glenn's Current Modeling Projects

Started by Glenn, September 02, 2008, 12:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn

What if I'm lucky in getting this note on the page as it will be the 5th time I've tried since 12 o'clock.
Glenn

McColm

That gives me an idea to use turbo-props on my Lancaster. :thumbsup:

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Glenn

This is the Veb 1/100 Yak 24P helicopter model....although using the word 'model' is going a bit far...lump of plastic would be better!
When finished, it will no longer be a helicopter....
Glenn

Glenn

Back with the 1/18 balsa model of the Fokker D. VII and the assembly of the lower wing. At present, the lower wing has been shapped and covered and awaiting rib detail and gluing. Don't worry, haven't forgotten the windscreen!
Glenn

Tophe

1/18? :blink: Lord... I thought 1/24 was the maximum authorised scale... Well, you are right: what-if... ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Glenn

Tophe, don't forget that this is a rubber band flying model. These are usually built to a set wingspan! The biggest scale 'flying model' I have, (unbuilt) is a 1/12 Thomas Morse Scout by Gullow but, 1/24 does seem to be the largest scale in plastic. Then again, made-up plastic models go down to 1/18....and then again, where would you put them?
This is a 1/24 Veron balsa R/B model of a Hurricane Mk 1. At present, am detailing the cockpit and looking for a said pilot, then the assembly of the starboard side.
Glenn

Tophe

Thanks for those details. My modelling culture is growing with such explanations. :thumbsup:

Stargazer

Quote from: Glenn on March 23, 2011, 07:24:34 PM
1/24 does seem to be the largest scale in plastic. Then again, made-up plastic models go down to 1/18....

Well, yeah... if you don't count James May's 1:1 scale Airfix Spitfire Mk.I...  :rolleyes:

Glenn

Yeah, I forgot about that Spit......that was a great series, no?
Anyhow, today I'm back with the XFJ-1 which now has a finished top wing and a pilot. I've worked out that the hardest part of this model is going to be the engine....thank God it will be the last thing I have to attach to the model.
Glenn

Glenn

Today, the Piaggio P.166 and it's inner wing. Someone asked me, a couple of pages back, how I was going to attach the wings....well this should show you how?
Made up the inner from root to engines and sanded and bogged and sanded to the right angles to butt to the fuselage then added the piano wire into the wing/fuselage. I use two pieces, one forward and one aft of the wing c/g and at the correct angle. Push them into the wing and fuselage and then superglue in place. Bog, sand and panel.
Next, the pusher engines and then the outer wings and fuel tanks.
With balsa, there are no stress problems, being so light.
Glenn

Tophe

It seems simple how you explain it, but please, let me clap my hands anyway... :bow:

Glenn

Another view of Scorpion...this time with one of the rotor rings. Unlike the Samson, the Scorpions' rotor will be fixed, as it is more complicated.
Glenn

McColm

Glenn

And now for something completely different! This is the first shot of the USS San Pablo, from the movie "Sand Pebbles". Knowing the length was 150 feet, I estimated that the beam would be about a quarter of it's length...so that's what I did. Having the programme from the movie, and the said movie on DVD will help alot, but still a lot of work. At present I'm working on it being a 'waterline' model, as I don't know if the ship was built with one screw or two? The scale is 1/72. Wish me luck....I'm going to need it!
Glenn