Glenn's Current Modeling Projects

Started by Glenn, September 02, 2008, 12:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

I've always had a sweet spot for the Westland Wellesley and I can't wait to see your take on it, Glenn! It'll look especially fast with an inline Merlin engine!
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

Glenn

Now, when I bought this model, I don't know what came over me? First, it was a one off and two, the only other thing I could do with it was turn it into an X-1A. But, buy it I did and it sat in a box of 'unmade models' for years until I was going through an old video tape.....and suddenly a light bulb appeared over my head and I thought..."Why Not!"
Model : 1/32 Revell Bell X-1
Model to be : ??????

So, there was a reason, after all!
Glenn

Glenn

With the X-1, I cut off the nose, 30mm back from the cockpit and then cut off the pointed nose, 10mm forward of the cockpit and used balsa and rounded the nose off. Next filled in the nose section in between the upper and lower faring so you have a smooth shape all around. I know, you don't know what it is yet...........good!

Glenn

Stargazer

So far you're doing with it exactly what I thought you would...  ;D

Are you going to turn it into a small transport?  :rolleyes:

Brian da Basher

Quote from: Glenn on July 01, 2011, 07:34:56 PM
With the X-1, I cut off the nose, 30mm back from the cockpit and then cut off the pointed nose, 10mm forward of the cockpit and used balsa and rounded the nose off. Next filled in the nose section in between the upper and lower faring so you have a smooth shape all around. I know, you don't know what it is yet...........good!

Glenn

Sounds like a killer idea, Glenn! I've got one of these almost finsihed that came in a Big Box O' Parts from a friend and I've got plans for it, although a bit different than yours...

Now enough teasing us and let's see some pics!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Glenn

Stargazer, yes it will be a medium transport....and Brian, sorry...no photos yet, as the only thing I've done is to cut down the rear fuselage and re-glue it together. It should start to come to shape by the next photo.

Today, an Aurora 1/48 Nieuport 11 that I'll have a little fun, weilding a modelers knife. As the Travel Air 2000 'mystery ship' is finished....this is my next WW1 aircraft.

Glenn

PS....Brian, with the X-1 I'll give you a clue, it 'will' have spats!

Glenn

This vacform Seahawk has only 17 parts but will need a full cockpit and prop housing. I will build her as a Seahawk, but which navy will fly her is anyone's guess.

Glenn

Glenn

Sorry, the last photo didn't seem to come out....lets try again!
Glenn

Stargazer

Quote from: Glenn on July 04, 2011, 07:22:43 PM
This vacform Seahawk has only 17 parts but will need a full cockpit and prop housing. I will build her as a Seahawk, but which navy will fly her is anyone's guess.

Glenn

Japanese would be an obvious one. Too obvious, maybe?
Italian? (some Seahawks were in Italy circa 1948-1949 but for what reason, I don't know).
Brazilian?
Free China?

Mossie

Japanese is the obvious option, but how about a slight twist, a movie Rufe (or even a Zeke) maybe?

Look forward to the Seahawk, it's an aircraft I like & very whiffable, I've got the SMER kit that lent it's floats to another project.  I've been planning to convert it to retractable undercarriage but I've never got around to it, it'd probably end up looking like a single engine T-28.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Glenn

Hey Mossie, yeah...retractable undercart and hook, Pacific theatre would be nice......but, the movie idea has merit!
Anyhow, today I'm back with the Sea Otter and have attached the tail.

Glenn

NARSES2

I like the idea of an Italian Seahawk (my SMER one will be BPF), perhaps Italian Police who I think have or did have an air contingent, based in Venice ?

Sea Otters coming on nicely Glen  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Glenn

With the German 'New Order', the Japanese Navy put in an order for a new Seaplane Fighter. Against the A6M-9 and the new Bf-109K/W16.....there was no choise.
Seen here, the new Ki-1109W over an un-named Pacific island, recently retaken. (Sept 1946)

Glenn

Oh yeah: 1/48 Fujimi Bf-109G/K and vacform floats.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!