Glenn's Current Modeling Projects

Started by Glenn, September 02, 2008, 12:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn

Tophe

Lovely, like a MiG-3 cousin, with a similar beauty. Thanks for this aesthetic emotion.
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Glenn

Hey mate, what can I say......it's wonderful to have you back!
Glenn

NARSES2

Always liked those types with the really long noses. Must have been hell to land
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

Glenn, I have not seen what came from your Olympus1 started model (presented last April :unsure:), so promising :thumbsup:... I even cannot imagine what the final aspect could be – you said "not twin-boom" if I remember well, so a pusher how? Pod-and-single-boom? Low? Or channel wing with asymmetric port-only boom? I would love it. Google does not find except yours, and it seems the late Michael Jackson is closer to the Olympus 1 than any aircraft... Where to search? I have checked the "index of last 10 years" in Jane's all the World aircraft 1992-93, 1982-83, 1973-74, and found no Olympus airplane at all. And if it comes from your own mind (welcome!) why would you say it is German while you're in Australia on the other side of Earth? Please solve this puzzle whose solution is only in your mind/knowledge it seems. ;)

Glenn

Tophe, sorry to confuse you but the 'Olympus' is the type of camera I use, and the erra of the aircraft is late 1950's to early 1960's. As far as I know, only a prototype was built.
Clue, it had twin engines and a ducted fan.
Glenn

Tophe

Well, the Fantrainer had a ducted fan but only one engine and was dated 1970's.
So... I have checked Jane's All the World's Aircraft 1964-65, 61-62, 59-60, 57-58 and did not find. In 1954-55, 52-53, there is no Germany chapter, maybe because German aircraft was forbidden after WW2.
So the puzzle remains, teasing...

Glenn

Tophe, first you'll need a copy of "The Observers Book Of Aircraft", 1961 edition and then turn to pages 220~221.
If there is anyone on this page who can help Tophe out, please do so!
Glenn

Tophe

Glenn, your words seem to mean "OK, Google does not find it, but this plane did exist, see the only book I know that presented it"... Anyway, this demand of mine was not coming from a prosecutor wanting to condemn dreamers (on the opposite, what-ifers are welcome here!), I was just being teased by this very strange shape, and description. This is not a command "(please) build it, NOW!", no, I just wanted to tell you/confirm we are interested by many started works of yours, waiting their turn in the pile, could we expect more views in 2011? or a completion in 2012? Thanks again, to build not only Spitfires and Hornets but Harlow and such unknown ones... This is special, this is fun.

martinbayer

Tophe,

I found Glenn's German mystery aircraft (don't know why he's so coy about it) in Jane's All the World's Aircraft 1963-1964 under the Rhein-Flugzeugbau GmbH (who also built the Fantrainer) entry on page 71 - it's the RFB RF 1 six seat channel-wing STOL monoplane:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFB_RF-1_V1

http://www.transportphotos.com/air/photo/WB00031-27

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

Tophe

Wow! How weird, how beautiful! I don't regret to have remembered Glenn's first steps in building it.
In JAWA 1964-65, there is only (without picture): "Development of the RFB RF 1 STOL touring aircraft, described in previous editions of Jane's, has been discontinued. RFB is now concentrating its efforts on the servicing and overhaul of military and civil aircraft".

Glenn

Tophe, working something out, is more interesting than finding it on a page. What would you rather play, 'pin the tail on the donkey' or chess?
Glenn

Tophe

Sorry Glenn, it seems this is either Australian slang or colloquial English we don't learn at school, what is the meaning of "pin the tail of the donkey"? (I just understand the words one by one but such game playing does not exist in France...).

About Martinbaker's pages discovery, I thank him again, from the bottom of my heart... ;)
This is so pleasant I created a topic in Secret Projects, where it is more easy to post photos with links, not taking for oneself the picture forbidden to put on one's Photobucket: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,13894.0.html

Tophe

Ups, Martin, it seems we helped the transportphotos site to sell its picture! Now your link answers:
Item not found
Sorry, no item with that number exists in the Air catalogue.

I am glad I saved the picture while it was still on the Web, and my link to Secret Projects will keep it forever: the seller is happy, we are happy, all is wonderful! ;D
No, no :-\ : we are modellers and the full hapiness will be when Glenn (our Chess master?) will present the scaled down beauty. Go Glenn go... (someday, no hurry, keep your own priority order, but know that your project interest us VERY much) ;D

martinbayer

Tophe,

I'm truly flattered by the moniker Martinbaker, but it's really Martinbayer (as in Martin Bayer, like the Aspirin - no relation however, though it could have saved me a lot of headaches... as they say around here, coat, hat, gone...). And since Glenn's mum, this is what "pin the tail on the donkey" is all about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pin_the_Tail_on_the_Donkey. Like Glenn, I vastly prefer playing chess though, because I like to be able to see what I'm actually doing in a game and believe it notably increases the odds of winning ;). With respect to the RFB RF-1 references, I just tried again, and both links including the picture still work for me, but who can fathom the inscrutable workings of the internet...

Best wishes,

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.