Glenn's Current Modeling Projects

Started by Glenn, September 02, 2008, 12:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RussC

It is an unwritten law of scratchbuilding that your project runs a risk of becoming either a diecast, kit or worse.... a pull-toy.

For a while I used to think Anigrand was watching us on KG144 and would resin-ate anything that at least two of us built.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

Glenn

Now, this is really different...this is the USS Tilefish, (SS-307) a Balao class sub that ended up as the U-boat from 'Murphy's War' It was the Revell Tigerfish and its scale is T.F.B. so I won't find a Grumman Duck to go with it. Bit to go yet.

Glenn

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Cobra

Tophe, i think T.F.B. means To Fit Box! many models were Built to fit the Size of the Box! This Project is Looking Good :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Dan

Glenn

Yes, lots of early kit companies made the kit boxes a set size, so every model was a different scale. The sub is 1/246sc, (or something like that) I have a Martin flyingboat that is 1/115sc, a Skyraider at 1/40....I mean, you can't make a diorama using any 'old' kit company. Revell weren't the only ones, Aurora, Monogram, Frog....
TFB is, as Cobra stated, 'To Fit Box'.
Glenn

Tophe

Thanks for the explanation!
While... we are what-ifers... I used a Ohka 1/48 canopy on a 1/72 airplane and I like that. You may have a 1/72 seaplane with your 1/246 submarine, turned micro-sub, no? ;D

Glenn

Back with the 1/18 Fokker DVII. The wings on the real one are lozenge, but I didn't want to spend years painting these so, decided on the same camo as the fuselage.

Glenn

Tophe, changing scales is a good thing, like turning a 1/53 Grumman F11F into a 1/72 heavy fighter/bomber....all you need to do is to take out the larger aircrew, and replace them with 1/72 scale....

Glenn

Typical day at one of the staff car parks, Paramount Studios around 1964.

Glenn

Cobra

Great Work Glenn :thumbsup: :thumbsup: did you Build those Building from Scratch or get them @ a Local Hobby Shop? Dan

Glenn

The shuttle is 1/81sc, the cars are 1/87sc as are the figures and the buildings are around 1/100sc. I had the building on the right for years, built it originally as a hanger but had to build the side and half roof to look finished. The building on the left is also scratch built.
Glenn

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

Glenn

It's funny how you buy something (at the time) and later on think as to why you bought it in the first place!
Well, this was one of those 'wild' choises! It seemed like a 'good idea' at the time until I worked out how BIG it would end up.......but then again, I just love aircraft with either an 'X' or 'Y' before them.

Don't know what yet, it could even turn into a modified 1/24sc wing............!
Glenn

RussC

Quote from: Glenn on December 11, 2011, 12:34:41 AM
It's funny how you buy something (at the time) and later on think as to why you bought it in the first place!
Well, this was one of those 'wild' choices! It seemed like a 'good idea' at the time until I worked out how BIG it would end up.......but then again, I just love aircraft with either an 'X' or 'Y' before them.

Don't know what yet, it could even turn into a modified 1/24sc wing............!
Glenn

As a fanatic for all things flying wing and tail-less, I built both that 72nd scale 35 and their kit of the YB-49 too. Those two kill an entire shelf or half a display case and to be honest, there are large parts of the thing that have little in the way of detail, you can build a 144th kit (unfortunately only bad fitting resins from Anigrand, their earlier efforts) that conveys the same amount of details. Still, back then, I probably would have bought them in 1/48th and 1/32nd too if molded, and I could get the Mortgage to buy them....
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

Tophe

Quote from: Glenn on December 11, 2011, 12:34:41 AM
Glenn
This could be very wonderful, Glenn. I have tried to see what it could be with a 300% canopy (72/24=300/100), with the help of http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/korean/us/kolb35.htm :