Glenn's Current Modeling Projects

Started by Glenn, September 02, 2008, 12:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Now I know what to do with my spare C-135 wings and P-38.

RussC

Quote from: Tophe on December 11, 2011, 01:22:25 AM
Quote from: Glenn on December 11, 2011, 12:34:41 AM
Don't know what yet, it could even turn into a modified 1/24sc wing............!
Glenn
This could be very wonderful, Glenn. I have tried to see what it could be with a 300% canopy (72/24=300/100), with the help of http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/korean/us/kolb35.htm :

Might be better if scale-crashing a 72' to a 24th size to think about prone pilot. Maybe just a bubble to allow a rear view or mirror for it.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

Glenn

I have started 'the wing' but I won't go into that now, no today I'm back with the 'Skimmer'!
Everything is now added less the canopy and painting, although I'd like to add a ventral fuel tank and Radar.

Glenn

Stargazer

What project is this now? I must admit I forgot. To me it looks pretty much like a standard Gloster Meteor in this pic...  :-\

Glenn

RN / FAA 1946 To fit into a Luft '46 situation.
Glenn

Glenn

Sorry about the delay.....but it is Christmas, after all......! Anyhow, today I'm back with the 1/32 balsa model if the AW4 Skyraider from an A1 kit. She will be finished as R.N./FAA Suez 1956. Wings are next.....finished sometime late next year.

Glenn

Tophe

1/32 balsa? This is not courage, this is heroism... (I feel ashamed to buy 1/144 plastic models "ready to build"...)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Glenn

Tophe, balsa is so much easier to work with, than plastic.
Glenn

RussC

Quote from: Glenn on December 21, 2011, 11:24:22 PM
Tophe, balsa is so much easier to work with, than plastic.
Glenn

Absolutely, in fact sandpaper can be used in place of carving at some scales. Yields models that are nice and light, seals up the same as any other wood. It is a bit more expensive than basswood or pine.
  I overcoat with 3 coats of polycrylic and then go over with Mr. Surfacer.

Glenn

Balsa is God as far as scratchbuilding goes...anyhow.....about 30 years ago I bought this VEB Yak-24P helicopter model for some reason, (probably felt sorry for the East German Government) and it sat in a box until early this year. Since then I have worked out what to do with it, (besides putting my foot through it) and have since got the project on the go.
What 'urks' me is having these models with a full viewing interior, clear windows and not one bloody thing inside....was the inside of this chopper a secret?

Glenn

McColm

You could always put some seats inside, it you wanted to. :bow:

Tophe

Even without seats for meticulous inspection, this helicopter is so unusual that it would be welcome, finished. It is already a pleasant and surprising thing at it is now.
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

RussC

I had a Plastikart VEB kit of that one but it wasn't a civil version, but a mil transport! The art on the greeting card stock thickness box had a watercolor of one landing and- I'm not kidding you... Horseback commando's streaming out the rear ramp, complete with pointed Uschanka hats and sabres and Kalashnikovs, a bunch of Spetznaz Cossack cowboys!
  The Mil version had none of those city bus windows, and had those tubes of both glue and paint that VEB packed with their models, plus the rotors molded in black and even a metal landing gear. I built it with the ramp shut because I was too impatient to craft an insides.

Looking forward to what you can do with this ancient beast.

Glenn

Your's had metal u/c legs? Wow, this one has plastic...and I'm wondering how it is going to support the fuselage.......crash!
Glenn

Glenn

As you can see, I'm back with the two acrylic flutes. At the left end, this is the tail and tailpipe of the model and the pointy end has been cut off as it wasn't the right shape. The 'bits' in the centre are to aline the fuselage halves and also to strengthen the join.

I'm not saying what it is as yet, but at this point it's about 1/3 finished.
Glenn