Glenn's Current Modeling Projects

Started by Glenn, September 02, 2008, 12:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Go4fun

About the Rolla Glenn. In a John D. MacDonald series the hero named Travis McGee drove a Rolls Royce Pickup conversion with a big Chevy engine in it. He called it 'Miss Agnus'.
"Just which planet are you from again"?

Glenn

Hi! Here is Brisbane, there was this ute, (pick up truck) with the body of a Rolla, 4x4 chassis and open back with PVC pipes all over it.......that's where I got the idea!
Glenn

I'd love to see someone do a BMW or Merc as a 'dirt basher' with spotlights and 303's mounted on the back? Roo shooters!

Glenn

I'll give you a clue here, this will be a 1/48 Bellanca.
I found this wonderful page on R/C and free flight aircraft plans. Most are 'scale' plans although some are semi-scale. I down loaded a few I'll end up making, but the collection is endless.

Glenn

PS Here in Brisbane, back in the 1970's I would venture out to 'The 'Gabba' to a model shop owned by an Arthur Gorrey. He was an R/C modeller, and hanging from the shop ceiling was this FW 'Stosser' (about 3' wing span).....well, those plans were there also!

NARSES2

Quote from: Glenn on May 08, 2012, 07:31:27 PM
PS Here in Brisbane, back in the 1970's I would venture out to 'The 'Gabba' to a model shop owned by an Arthur Gorrey. He was an R/C modeller, and hanging from the shop ceiling was this FW 'Stosser' (about 3' wing span).....well, those plans were there also!

Now I always thought the "Gabba" was just the name of the cricket ground although thinking about it the "Oval" is a ground (holy one at that  ;D) and an area, although I assume the area was named after the ground.

What type of wood do you use Glenn ? The pic dosn't look like balsa to me, probably wrong but just interested
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Glenn

'The Gabba' is short for Woolloongabba, an aboriginal name and is on the south side of the river. It's about 3km from the GPO and does have a famous cricket pitch. (which I have been to back in the 1970's)
The wood is balsa, but once it is cut and shapped, will be covered in auto bog , sanded and shapped and varnished. At one stage, I would varnish it with resin....only that was a mistake, the paint wouldn't dry on it!
Hope this helps,
Glenn

NARSES2

Cheers Glen, it didn't "quite" look like balsa in the pics.

I used the old dope and talc method for sealing the balsa. Not even sure you can get that sort of "dope" anymore ? That and banana oil for sealing plastecine in the days before we had modellers putty - modelling nostalgia, just a bunch of smells that gave you a high  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Glenn

When the movie "Lost on Space" came out, I was expecting something like the TV series...and what I got was 'YUK!' But, there was one feature of the movie that I thought deserved a mention, The Bubble Ship that defended Earth in the opening segment. If I'd have known how BAD the movie was going to be, I'd have left after seeing the Bubble Ship and spent the rest of the movie in the candy shop.
Anyhow, this is The Bubble Ship from the movie. When at Mr Toys, I found a flashing light toy where the light was inside this sphere of clear plastic, but was done in a jaggered cut, so when the light was on, it looked like a ball at a disco. The scale of the model is about 1/72, (luck) and construction is now finished....now painting!

Glenn

height : 9"
overall length : 7.5"

NARSES2

Nice one Glen - have to agree with you re the film as well

Glenn

This is the BAC/Avro Canada 'Bolt'. Designed and built from two cancelled projects and finally bought by the RAAF.
Seen here over Sydney heading to the Avalon Air Display in Melbourne.

Glenn

One 'butchered' Airfix BAC TSR2

NARSES2

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Glenn

Back with the Hall Patrol boat, now she has a tail and rudder.

Glenn

NARSES2

Now thats a rather large rear end  ;D

Glenn

Hey...some guys like a 'lady' with a large rear end!
Anyhow, today I'm building 'a boat'. This belongs to a series of models based on the same theme...it's a four engine boat in 1/72sc, designed on the late 1920's
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff166/strathojet/not%20finished%20yet/olympus1BROKENEAR1.jpg

Glenn

"The

Glenn