Glenn's Current Modeling Projects

Started by Glenn, September 02, 2008, 12:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn

McColm

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Glenn

Seen over 'The Big Apple' back in 1972, the last Grumman Jay-Bird in flying condition. This airplane is now in the 'Planes of Fame' museum in LA awaiting restoration back to flying condition.

Airfix 1/72 Grumman Gosling....tweaked a bit.

Glenn

Tophe

Isn't that a flying boat anymore?
Nice!
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Glenn

Glenn

Now, you know I love making armour from movies....well, there's this 1951 movie called "ATTACK" where this US squad attack this French village. In the village are a lot of Jerry and at least one tank.
When I first looked at the movie, took a photo of said vehicle, and worked it out as an M3. Well, as I watched it again I realized this M3 had solid wheels and the body looked different than the M3!
It wasn't an M3, I now saw it as a modified M8. The Academy M3 comes with both open and solid wheels, and added to the chassis and body of the M8, I was on the way................................well, almost!
Glenn

NARSES2

See that film Glen, but never taken that much notice of the kit
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Glenn

As you can see, it wasn't an M3 or M8....it was an M5 with solid wheels!

Glenn

Father Ennis

I haven't gotten out my copy of that movie but I can tell that isn't the chassis you think it is. I believe it to be an M3A3. I base this on the angled side visible in your photo. M3s and M8's have vertical sides not angular. Also, I recognize the turret as being of a later typical found on the M3A3 and M5. Hope this doesn't cause you too much trouble. I also noticed the grouser racks on the front plate,a hallmark of the design. Didn't notice it at first.

Glenn

I'll muddle through it, as it is 'a long time project'. What are 'grouser racks'?
Glenn

Father Ennis

The racks are the long structures on the front plate. They are somewhat angled and are mostly between the driver and mg/radio operator's positions. Grousers are cleats that are put on the tracks for better traction. Storing them on the front plate had the added bonus of being spaced armor,too !!! 

Logan Hartke

Quote from: Father Ennis on May 24, 2013, 06:24:52 PM
I haven't gotten out my copy of that movie but I can tell that isn't the chassis you think it is. I believe it to be an M3A3. I base this on the angled side visible in your photo. M3s and M8's have vertical sides not angular. Also, I recognize the turret as being of a later typical found on the M3A3 and M5. Hope this doesn't cause you too much trouble. I also noticed the grouser racks on the front plate,a hallmark of the design. Didn't notice it at first.

I concur.  M3A3, absolutely.

Cheers,

Logan

Glenn

Is there a page here for 'real' armour......for if there is, I've a beaut for you!
Glenn

NARSES2

Quote from: Glenn on May 27, 2013, 01:06:54 AM
Is there a page here for 'real' armour......for if there is, I've a beaut for you!
Glenn

Not really Glen. Just put whatever the beaut is here

Chris