Elizabethan Spitfire: the vengeance of ysi_maniac

Started by ysi_maniac, September 04, 2008, 09:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ysi_maniac

Quote from: Weaver on September 26, 2008, 05:36:25 AM
You mentioned the engine cowling being bare aluminium: since aluminium wasn't used in those days, perhaps Brass or Steel would be more appropriate?
:lol: You are right. The same for the spats: there were not retractable undercarriages in 17th century. ;D
Humbrol do a Metalcoat Steel that I'll be trying in the next few days - check the Migina 1 thread for results.
I have used it in the past. The result is outstanding, as you can see in this pic
Will die without understanding this world.

sequoiaranger

>You mentioned the engine cowling being bare aluminium: since aluminium wasn't used in those days, perhaps Brass or Steel would be more appropriate?<

I think you have to suspend disbelief for so MUCH of this "Elizabethan Spitfire" that "minor" things like whether aluminum existed really don't matter. I mean, after all, this has a COMBUSTION engine of supremely high power and compactness that could not even be fathomed in the early 20th century, much less the 17th. There is antenna wire for RADIO, there is CLEAR PERSPEX, and aerodynamism everywhere. There are repeating firearms. There is RUBBER for tyres, etc.  So the "Elizabethan Spitfire" has to have been the product of considerable metallurgical progress. Brass or steel would have been WAAAY to heavy to have been practical.

So I think "we" have to consider the DECORATION aspect only, and leave the metallurgy out of it for the time being!

It's a fun concept, fer shure!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Sauragnmon

Sequoia is right, we should avoid too much argument over the details, for starters.

Engine cowling - would look interesting in NMF, could also be done in black.

Spats - I'd suggest black instead of the red at the join, so they blend nicely with the wings.

St George Crosses - beautifully done, though part of me mourns that they overlap the yellow/red banding, but it would interrupt the flow on those.

Green-white banding - The green should likely be left to a less present colour, and notably on the wings they don't seem to add very much in my opinion.  With the crosses in WW1 style wrapped bands around the wing surface, the stripes should be deleted to keep it to such a clean banded look.

Besides, there are only two obvious means we could have an Elizabethan Spitfire - either a private owner from a Rennaisance Fair decides he wants to produce one, or some form of temporal anomaly pulls a plane and pilot, perhaps more than one, back through time and deposits them in Elizabethan England.  Most fortunate indeed that spitfires don't require extremely prepared, paved, ever so meticulously handled airfields, I say.  And to that, there is only one other word.... Zipang!
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Logan Hartke

Quote from: Sauragnmon on September 26, 2008, 12:59:14 PM
St George Crosses - beautifully done, though part of me mourns that they overlap the yellow/red banding, but it would interrupt the flow on those.

Yeah, a piece of me died when I lost the full-length bands.  If they made my rose decals and I could pick the configuration I liked best (but still working with ysi's engine modification), aesthetically, I think that mine would look like this:

Logan Hartke

Weaver

Whoa there chaps! I had no intention of getting all JMN about metallurgy: I was simply suggesting alternative engine cowling colours together with a thin veneer of a rationale for them! This Spitfire does, after all, have a WOODEN coloured fuselage....... :rolleyes:

Steel engine cowling: similar look to aluminium, but darker, and maybe a bit more variable, since it would be VERY thin for weight reasons. It might well discolour in blue and/or straw shades around hotspots too.

Polished brass or copper: need I say more?  :wub: :wub: :wub:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

BlackOps

Logan, nice work on the profiles.

Carlos, great idea for your spitfire! I'm really looking forward to seeing it completed.  :thumbsup:

Now I'm thinking I'd like to get back to work on my Crusader Spit that I never finished.

This is where I left it hanging  :blink: 

I'm such a slacker!  :banghead:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

GTX

Looking good.  When I first saw this thread topic though, I thought someone was going to Steampunk a Spitfire.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

sequoiaranger

Does someone make the appropriate markings that could be applied to a model, or are we talking two-dimensional whif only (pretty picture)?

The "Crusader Spitfire" looks do-able. Even I have some heraldry decals I picked up somewhere with lions like that (if I recall correctly---been a long time).

The intricate designs of the "Elizabethan Spitfire" look magnificent and colorful in the profile, but, other than meticulous painting by hand, how would such designs actually get put onto a model??

Kudos to the modeler that does it!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Weaver

Just remembered: you can get heraldic clip-art here:

http://www.heraldicclipart.com/catalog/index6.html

So if you fancy producing your own decals............. :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Sauragnmon

In all truth, I'd go for black from the vertical diamond band, Merlin engine, Ventral radiator, pure stock design, as if she was Zipanged out of '42 right into the Elizabethan era, and bedecked in Elizabethan colours.  Perhaps the wood could be explained as being field repairs, who knows, with a finely hammered cowling over the engine... oo I do like that...
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Logan Hartke

Quote from: Sauragnmon on September 28, 2008, 02:50:14 PM
...Merlin engine, Ventral radiator, pure stock design, as if she was Zipanged out of '42 right into the Elizabethan era, and bedecked in Elizabethan colours.

Same, for pure aesthetics.  But kitbanging is rightfully encouraged for GBs and I'm glad to see Ysi doing something unique.

Logan Hartke

Ti Raven

Unique is a good term. Wonderful design, btw, Logan and Ysi. :thumbsup:

So much visual goodness going on here.  :wub:  Nicely hammered copper foil...?  :wub:
I get my adhesive backed copper foil in different widths at Hobby Lobby, in the stained glass section.
If you don't put a clear cote on it it patinas very realistically, cause it really is copper.

Ti Raven
Collecting Greeblies is.... addictive.

ysi_maniac

BlackOps

lookin' good Carlos!  :thumbsup: That new front end really changes the looks quite a bit. I swear that intake is smiling at me  ;D
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

ysi_maniac

Quote from: BlackOps on October 03, 2008, 08:34:08 AM
lookin' good Carlos!  :thumbsup: That new front end really changes the looks quite a bit. I swear that intake is smiling at me  ;D
It does!  ;D