Elizabethan Spitfire: the vengeance of ysi_maniac

Started by ysi_maniac, September 04, 2008, 09:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

puddingwrestler

I think it needs heraldry. Never mind roundals on the wings, give it a coat of arms! Then match the colours to the coat of arms. Oh - and for real elizabethan visuals - diamond pane glass work.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Sauragnmon

Hell yeah, stained glass on the rear cockpit glass!  Black basecoat, plus the decorative markings on the leading edges of the wings.  You could also trail them down from the antiglare patch on the nose, leading edges of the empennage, and other such.  But definately, a stained glass pattern on the rear cockpit glass would look so definately cool.  Give it a metal framing on the remainder of the glass as well.

As to the heraldry thought, that's not a bad idea, though perhaps some sign of alleigance to the Crown as well.  After all, it just wouldn't do to have a man fighting the Spanish on his own name, it just wouldn't be "For Queen and Country" after all.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Taiidantomcat

Like the above ideas a lot! Maybe an overall "British Crimson"  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

puddingwrestler

I didn't mean it to have individual heraldry, I was meaning it should bear the King's coat of arms on it instead of conventional national insignia.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Sauragnmon

The Queen's coat instead of roundels, and the Cross of St George on the tail fin!
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Howard of Effingham

ok, ysi! me likey!  :cheers:

just one thing, here's an important image to remember when talking about elizabethan spitfires.....

http://www.ahoy.tk-jk.net/MoreImages2/LordHowardOfEffinghamEarlOfNottingham.jpg

and if the link works, its not me just my hero!  :thumbsup:
Keeper of George the Cat.

Weaver

On the subject of stained glass, perhaps a completely different, "many-flat-panels" canopy would be more appropriate than the Spit's blown bubble. Something like a Hurricane, perhaps? If you're having the blown bubble, how about having it made of actual blown glass, i.e. putting a big circular mark on it, like a glass fishing float?  ;D

On colours, I can only concur with the others. One suggestion: how about a slogan, something like "For God and Queen Bess!" You could paint a brass panel on the side and them do a decal in an "engraved" style font.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Logan Hartke

Ysi, I'd pick the Golden Hind scheme with the red and the yellow.  That swirly pattern along the top of the poop deck is just screaming to work its way onto the rudder or along the length of the fuselage.  The pattern over the windows would be great around a nice red spinner.  The diagonal stripes would be fitting along the backside of the wing, on the ailerons and such.  I wouldn't make the whole aircraft black, maybe just the tail or the rear half of the aircraft, like many WWI schemes.  Consider a pattern from the period for the rest of the aircraft (like the vest in this one, although it's technically Tudor), or maybe just that maple color on the masts.

Take a look at these modern aircraft to see those sorts of outlandish patterns done well.

http://www.myaviation.net/search/photo_search.php?id=01425821

http://www.myaviation.net/search/photo_search.php?id=01425816

I'll see if I can't mock up a scheme along those lines sometime over the next few days.

Logan Hartke

Logan Hartke

Here's a very rough example of what I'm talking about.

Logan Hartke

Sauragnmon

Very Fracking cool.  That is fracking awesome, man.  There aren't enough expletives to define just how cool that looks.  Damn cool job Logan.  The next step would be figuring out a means to create the raised framing on the window.  Possibly 28ga wire might be a good applicable choice.  From there, you could go with some Vallejo Acrylic transparent colours (they work real nice, I'll have to snap a photo of something else I'm working on that I used them with for a cool effect)  to create your stained glass effect.

Brian da Basher

That may be "just a rough profile" Logan, but it's my favorite of all I've seen you do yet! The rose markings on the wings and fuse are perfect!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Ed S

Very creative and unique.  You've got a real winner here.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Sauragnmon

Man, that looks so good I want to build a spit in those colours.  That just looks too damn cool for school.

Logan Hartke

Thanks for all of the kind words, guys.  I'll try to give you a more polished example tomorrow if I have the time.  We still have yet to see if ysi cares for it, however.

Quote from: Brian da Basher on September 24, 2008, 05:12:18 PM
The rose markings on the wings and fuse are perfect!

Did you notice the other rose, too?  If you look at the spinner and the cowling, the rotating spinner and five stationary green leaves should form another rose as well, when viewed from the front.  Sort of my English 16th century take on the German WWII spinners.

By the way, you can't really tell it in the low-quality jpg that I was restricted to use due to size restrictions, but that tan color on the fuselage is actually a texture.  It is intended to look similar to this, almost like a wood grain.

Logan Hartke

Taiidantomcat

Nice Profile logan! those are some cool russian jets too. Can't wait to see how this turns out :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.