Elizabethan Spitfire: the vengeance of ysi_maniac

Started by ysi_maniac, September 04, 2008, 09:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ysi_maniac

Quote from: Logan Hartke on September 24, 2008, 06:16:29 PM
Thanks for all of the kind words, guys.  I'll try to give you a more polished example tomorrow if I have the time.  We still have yet to see if ysi cares for it, however.

Quote from: Brian da Basher on September 24, 2008, 05:12:18 PM
The rose markings on the wings and fuse are perfect!

Did you notice the other rose, too?  If you look at the spinner and the cowling, the rotating spinner and five stationary green leaves should form another rose as well, when viewed from the front.  Sort of my English 16th century take on the German WWII spinners.

By the way, you can't really tell it in the low-quality jpg that I was restricted to use due to size restrictions, but that tan color on the fuselage is actually a texture.  It is intended to look similar to this, almost like a wood grain.

Logan Hartke

Hi Logan,
Thank you very much for your wonderful profile. :bow: :bow:
Of course you can create any wonder designs and post them here or where ever. But my skills are limited and I probably will not be able to make justice to your work. Anyway, from your work I can take some good ideas that I think I can do in 3D styrene:

Victory markings over spanish planes (cool).
Red/yellow frieze (beautiful).
Wood texture (pure genius): it can be done with a first layer of light brown and a second with teinted varnish (It is difficult but I will try).
The rose in the spinner. The other roses are more difficult and I will paint only St George crosses, I think.
Can you add some gold details: antenae, scoops, canopy framing, leading edges, or so?
Can you try some other base colors? For instance, dark bright green (the color of the old locomotives) is known as "english green", here in Spain. Also dark bright blue.

Thanks,
Carlos.
Will die without understanding this world.

Logan Hartke

Ysi,

I'm glad you liked it.  I can make whatever changes you'd like to represent the look of your model.  I'll change some of the things (Cannons, scoops, antennae, and such) to gold on the profile.  Would you rather the canopy framing be red or gold?  I got the red inspiration from the crow's nest on the Golden Hind.  I will change the markings to St George crosses.  How do you want those?  In a square?  In a flag-proportioned rectangle?  In a white roundel?  Other?

As for the other colors, is this what you mean by the green?

Also, where do you want the blue and green, respectively?

Logan Hartke

Weaver

For that "dark bright English Green" (love that description BTW  ;D :thumbsup:), you might also look at British Racing Green: the colour of old British sports cars. It's maybe a little darker than that loco, but not by much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_racing_green
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

ysi_maniac

ysi_maniac

Logan Hartke

Got it, ysi.  Here's the aircraft with your recommendations.  The flag design is historical, too.

Logan Hartke

sequoiaranger

Nothing short of just plain OUTSTANDING!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

ysi_maniac

:o Ooooh this is looking brilliant! And I am enjoing this team design very much! :thumbsup:
Thanks a lot Logan. I hope you enjoy this too.

Some comments:

St George crosses are just perfect.
I see your historical point but I am not sure from an aesthetical point of view. Lets people give us their opinion, before deciding :cheers:
IMO, engine cover should be metalic, what about bare aluminium colour, like a shield?
Red/yellow frieze only in all control surfaces?

Some points not seen in my pic:

I think that using P-40 nose, ventral radiator is not needed anymore. But some experts here can correct me.
;D And last, the  :blink: BOMB :blink:

-- noise of drums --

This Spitfire will have SPATS (please, take them from an Stuka profile. Hub-caps gold or brass)

Logan Hartke

Quote from: ysi_maniac on September 25, 2008, 10:31:15 AM
:o Ooooh this is looking brilliant! And I am enjoing this team design very much! :thumbsup:
Thanks a lot Logan. I hope you enjoy this too.
Thanks, yeah I am enjoying it.

Red/yellow frieze only in all control surfaces?
Can you be more specific?  Do you want the diagonal red/yellow stripes?  If so, where?  The yellow swirly pattern on red?  If so, where?

This Spitfire will have SPATS (please, take them from an Stuka profile)
Ju 87A, B or D?

Logan Hartke

ysi_maniac

Hi,

Stuka B, I think.

Leave yellow/red stripes in ailerons, flaps, tail plane, rudder (swirly is too difficult for me to paint).

BTW, this night I will look in my spare decals and if I find some suitable heraldry I will post to add it in tail fin perhaps.

Thanks a lot for your patience :thumbsup: :cheers:

Logan Hartke

ysi_maniac

Looks great, really
:wub: :wub: :wub:
WWWOOOWWW :bow: :bow: :bow:
The bad side is: Will I make justice to your design? :banghead: :blink:

I will try :thumbsup:

ysi_maniac

Hi Gang:

I want your comments about the different bits that Logan had brilliantly gathered here. I am partucularly interested in your opinion about green strips (please read above posts). And whatever you want to say.

Thanks to all of you. :thumbsup:

Brian da Basher

Oh yes!!! That last profile of Logan's looks like a killer concept! Especially the spats!
:wub: :wub: :wub:
Go with it Carlos!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Weaver

Quote from: ysi_maniac on September 25, 2008, 12:18:04 PM
Hi Gang:

I want your comments about the different bits that Logan had brilliantly gathered here. I am partucularly interested in your opinion about green strips (please read above posts). And whatever you want to say.

Thanks to all of you. :thumbsup:

I understand that the green stripes are historical, but from an aesthetic point of view, the many different sections of different colours could make it look a bit "bitty", particularly on the fuselage.

ALSO

You mentioned the engine cowling being bare aluminium: since aluminium wasn't used in those days, perhaps Brass or Steel would be more appropriate? Humbrol do a Metalcoat Steel that I'll be trying in the next few days - check the Migina 1 thread for results.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones