Started by david sMiGielski, September 06, 2008, 08:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shasper

Swiss still have a bunch of F-5s. . .

Shas b)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Taiidantomcat

The Fins use F-18s, Swiss too. I honestly think that the F-16 is one of the best fighters on the planet in terms of cost to performance, and i think now that the Gripen is even better in terms of cost and maintainability. plus they look cool :thumbsup: but like some folks have said i think they would have to get them "new" rather than used. Hungary got their Mig-29s from Germany for one Euro.
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

GTX

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on September 07, 2008, 11:31:24 PM
The Fins use F-18s, Swiss too. I honestly think that the F-16 is one of the best fighters on the planet in terms of cost to performance, and i think now that the Gripen is even better in terms of cost and maintainability. plus they look cool :thumbsup: but like some folks have said i think they would have to get them "new" rather than used. Hungary got their Mig-29s from Germany for one Euro.

They could always lease their Gripens like Hungary has.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Shasper

Last I heard the Swedes are cutting back on their Gripen fleet so its possible to get a few 2nd hand.

Shas b)
- Bud S.

Taiidantomcat

They are making that newer version with the AESA radar and a bunch of other goodies, a lot of folks think it is going to take away sales from the F-35 which may be true...speaking of which how about Baltic F-35s? :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

TsrJoe

Lithuanian Air Force Alenia C.27J Spartan
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Ian the Kiwi Herder

My two-pennarth/cents

You can NEVER go wrong with an F-20 ! - especially a Baltic F-20 !  Same can be said of the Viggen, and with a wee bit of filler and some patience the Heller kit builds quite nicely, and if you have a couple, there's nothing to stop you doing a two-seat Recce version ! - Double the Whiffing kudos !!

OK, back to the (nearly) real world - First generation F-16's/18's/M2000's would not be out of reach - and there's loads of kits, although I take your point, David, they are mostly as boring as h*ll in terms of colour schemes - I KNOW there are exceptions.

Nev is quite correct Hawk 100's & AMX's would be perfect, but there ain't no IM kit of the AMX, still - ITALERI ARE YOU READING THIS ?. Not sure about Tonkas' unless they came with a seriously comprehensive maintenance package, lots of kits around so no problem there. Radar nose AV-8's possibly - nice Hasegawa kit.

MiG 29's would be right too, but they suffer from the same 'plumage issues' as the F-16/18/M2000.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

B777LR

I could see L-159s in the Baltic AFs, but they arent really real fighters.

Perhaps some Kfir? Gripen looks very possible, since Sweden is retiring some of theirs.

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on September 07, 2008, 11:31:24 PMI honestly think that the F-16 is one of the best fighters on the planet in terms of cost to performance, and i think now that the Gripen is even better in terms of cost and maintainability.

It was, but hardly by modern standards. The Gripen on the otherhand will be able to outperform just about any new manned fighter that comes out, in terms of operating costs.

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on September 07, 2008, 11:31:24 PMHungary got their Mig-29s from Germany for one Euro.

I beleive that was Poland (who is also interested in purchasing the Hungarian Fulcrums)

Just about the only thing Germany (and soon Hungary) can do with these MiG-29s. They are horribly expensive to operate in small numbers (less than 25), and really arent good fighters for a small Air Force. Taking politics into the picture, Russian aircraft in a baltic AF is a big no-no...

gunfighter

I wonder why we don´t see more second hand F18C/Ds when there are plenty of them stored, and it´s as good plane as the F16. Furthermore,the hornet is best suited for these countries which have long coasts and where pilots hace to fly over the sea most of the time.

Shasper

As of rightnow the USN is cycling thru their F-18s like hotcakes, not sure about what's out in the Boneyard but quite a few reserve sqns have had to give up their planes for the Fleet. So I wouldnt bet too much on seeing any Legacy Bugs making it as a 2nd hand sale. Plus LM seems to have all the pull these days in FMS.

Shas b)
- Bud S.

elmayerle

Hmm, a mixed fleet of Hawk 100s and 200s backed up by a joint force of Gripens (as I can't see any one of those countries being able to afford the necessary number of Gripens, but the three of them together could)?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

sotoolslinger

Whiff the country in question  develops its own engine and avionics/weapons systems upgrades industries for upgrading existing aircraft( that's the way I cheat my builds ;D) you can pretty much go from there. :rolleyes:  :tornado:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

GTX

How about some ex-RNZAF Skyhawks?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

elmayerle

Quote from: GTX on October 03, 2008, 12:32:15 PM
How about some ex-RNZAF Skyhawks?

Perhaps supplemented with some low-time A-4Ms brought up to equivalent standard?  I understand the A-4AR is quite similar to the Kahu-modified RNZAF Skyhawks.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin