Taking a 'WHIF BREAK'

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, September 09, 2008, 01:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Done a lot of 'What If' builds this year and it's only September ! - Guess it has to do with the Telford theme for this year, which has been VERY inspirational, AND the JSDF GB, AND the PROFILES GB, both of which I've thoroughly enjoyed.

Because of the Marder that I recently finished for the PROFILES GB, I became quite enthused about armour modelling again and hads a dig through my 1:35 stash. Came-up with a few half completed or just started projects; some stand-alones, some vignettes, some dioramas. By way of a break and to re-charge my Whiffing batteries I'm going to dive into these and get a few finished 'targets' under-my-belt. Never beent too interested in 'tanks' as such, really enjoy building half-tracks, soft skins, towed artillery, APC's etc.

Now I'm not looking for sympathy or support - I'm not suffering 'modellers block' or 'AMS' - I'm just trying to explain in advance why there'll not be any 'outpourings' from me in the next few months. Will still be around the site as often as possible, still going to try to finish a 'Grey' for the GREY PRIDE GB, and a Spit of course for the SPITFIRE GB.

Ian

:tank:

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

sotoolslinger

Make sure you post all this future nifty armor so our computers won't be too deprived of drool ;D
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Brian da Basher

I wish you well in your "real-world" modelling endeavors, Mr Hunter-Gatherer. I also give you a lot of credit as I've been unable to build anything that resembles the picture on the box for over four years now.
:banghead:
Brian da Basher

lancer

Quote from: Brian da Basher on September 09, 2008, 01:55:34 PM
I wish you well in your "real-world" modelling endeavors, Mr Hunter-Gatherer. I also give you a lot of credit as I've been unable to build anything that resembles the picture on the box for over four years now.
:banghead:
Brian da Basher

But your builds are so amazing anyway Brian, and besides I've yet to see a breadclip on a boxtop
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Radish

I must admit to enjoying a delve into tracky things too, and I like sporucing them up a bit with baggage of all sorts.
Good luck with the armour stuff.
I've always found them very theraputic....often a tank is quicker to build than aircraft, and the colour schemes can be amazing. :tank:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Sisko

Seems you have the opposite problem to me.

I am building a non whif subject and are hoping to come back to whif to recharge my batteries.

All the best with the armour kits. You should post the pics here as a few of us wouldn't mind seeing something a bit different.

I'm sure they will be to your high standards!
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

cthulhu77

Well, if you look at it realistically, every model is really a whatiff...unless you build a working model in 1/1 scale.

Leigh

Welcome to my world,  :cheers: trouble is it becomes an addiction within an addiction in the realm of the general obsession fueled by the overall compulsion and next thing you know yer up to yer neck in individual track links!

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

Daryl J.

Awright!   Havin' a break is good for the enthusiasm!!!    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Daryl J.

noxioux

Man cannot live by whiff alone.  I haven't built a decent one in months, anyway.  Armor is therapeutic, probably  because it's so forgiving, even when super-detailing.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: Leigh on September 10, 2008, 05:47:30 PM
Welcome to my world,  next thing you know yer up to yer neck in individual track links!

Have you any idea how many individual links there are on a Tiger 1 - 99 one side, 100 t'other - I'm fighting the urge to do things with trax, as to be taken seriously these days, it seems one has to go to this extreme..... I have a Tamiya (late) Tiger 1 and it has individual tracklinks in the box (I didn't know that when I bought it) ..... VERY scarey !. If anybody wants to see my efforts - though I've no idea why you would - I'm posting progress shots here:-

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20124

and/or here:-

http://swannysmodels.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1221052716

Off to the Profile page now, looking for more inspiration.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Radish

Individual track links are really bad news!!
Unless you're a pervert of course.
But a handy tip is snap them together then brush liquid cement BUT DO THIS WITH A LAYER OF GREASEPROOF PAPER BENEATH...the glue doesn't stick to the paper which means you can build lengths of track more easily.

A much better option for individual links is to advertise on a website or at a club which is full of trackies for a set of "rubber band" type tracks....I bought an Academy Panzer IV which had individual "aaaarrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!" links, but was given a set of flexible tracks by a mate. :tank:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

cthulhu77

I actually like individual track links.  Yikes, where are my percocets?

Howard of Effingham

hmm, if i was a treadhead-JMZ i'd be afraid to learn this news!  ;D  ;D

as i have whatever I-H-G builds never seen a duff model of his.  :thumbsup:

trevor

[who is himself branching out in armour and ship models in various scales of late....  :wacko: ]
Keeper of George the Cat.

philp

Ian,
You can always post them during "Unsilly Week".
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies