Started by sotoolslinger, September 18, 2008, 12:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sotoolslinger

Thanks  ;D all ya'll :wub:
becoming one with the putty

Zen is difficult after 12+ hour days :banghead:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Sauragnmon

Ouch, that's going to need some sanding to smooth out the gouges you made... could have just puttied a smooth transition rounding over the cannon ports and drilled them in at the join.  Still going to need some work at that little ridge at the top of the nose join though.

Looking good so far though!
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

sotoolslinger

Actually those gouges will be covered in putty . I had to cut the excess material away to transition from the oval shape of the MiG to the  8 shape of the Gina. For the cockpit I will fill it with clay after installing the fairing from the Gina fuselage and then press it into a layer of epoxy putty on the MiG. That will give me a platform on the fuselage that will match the contours of the Gina canopy.
I amuse me.

Brian da Basher

You're on a roll, Toolslinger! Looks like you got the putty work just right!

I think our old friend Mr Putty-Sand-Repeat will be dropping in soon.

"Like a good neighbor, PSR is there..."
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Sauragnmon

I'm skeptical that you did enough removal then to transition it smoothly, but then I'm looking at a relatively flat image, and I'm not in your shoes, sotool.. though you could have used the rounded shape and the slight protrusion over the Gina nose to cover the gun ports a little more, allowing a narrower field of fire in perspective.  I don't know, I'm probably rambling.  I don't have the kits, and I haven't worked with either, so I can't really say anything definitive, but you're doing a bash-up job so far!  Keep working that sledgehammer, man!
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Ed S

Looks like it's coming along nicely.  This is one of those modification jobs that a belt sander would be the best tool to start with.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

sotoolslinger

You may not believe this but I have used a full size belt sander on a model before ;D
I amuse me.

Sauragnmon

Tempted for the use of a belt sander against the bottom of some ship hulls... it's a problem I'm having...

sotoolslinger

Belt sanders..... you know how they run down when you release the trigger :thumbsup: That's how you use them . on a long flat , or just slightly curved  surface....run it up to speed , place the surface in close proximity, align, release the trigger , touch the surface you want sanded to the belt as it slows to a stop ;D
If you sand the bottom off your boat  I will swear I never said any of that ;D :lol: :blink:
Carefully hand sanding  :rolleyes: the MiGina

I tried to give as many different angles so ya'll could see how she is blending
Here is what we are going for with the canopy

I amuse me.

Sauragnmon

Looking good so far, tool.  The setup's different, and it looks a whole lot different after having seen the different perspectives.

Weaver

Wow - I wouldn't have believed that those two pieces could come together as effectively as that - well done!

Question - how did you fill the sawn-off chunk of MiG? Did you put a piece of plastic card behind it before cutting and then fill in the resulting trough, or what?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

sotoolslinger

My good friend epoxy putty. Specifically the kind made for fiberglass boats. It sticks to styrene very well.  I made the cuts to blend the Mig to the Gina nose with the dreaded Dremel tool with a drum sander bit and then just went in through the Gina intake with a probe.
I amuse me.

sotoolslinger

The horror ,I mean Zen of PSR :blink:

Gotta go back to work :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I amuse me.

ysi_maniac

Hey, here is the King of PSR :thumbsup:
:bow: :bow: :bow:
Will die without understanding this world.

sotoolslinger

I thought Rafa was King of PSR.  ;D I am only crown prince :rolleyes: Bow down before me :lol:
Mo PSR

I amuse me.