Whiffing Cliches

Started by Mossie, September 19, 2008, 09:29:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sauragnmon

If it's replicated, it's obviously a cool idea.

Spats would be on the top of my whif cliche list... seems to be a common thing... They're cool, but still... common.  And yeah, the turbojet-ification and float-ification of most anything with wings.  Haven't seen a lot of Zwilling mods posted... but they might have flown past me, pardon the pun.

Copying something over from modelwarships, though, since Zwilling came up...

http://blog.roodo.com/gf13_001nhii/archives/6497483.html

This is your Battleship, Zwilling-ified.  It's inspired by the Warship Gunner series of games, thus some of the more obscure things, but yeah... still looks wickedly cool... and he did a good job on the detailing too.  I only wonder what somebody like Peter Van Buran would have done with that.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

The Rat

People here demanding that I put a hull on everything I build. Do they think balsa grows on trees?!

Oh, hang on a tick...
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

cthulhu77

Oh, just wait until you see my aircraft carrier with spats...no, I am not kidding.

Sauragnmon

LOL Spats on a Carrier...

Wait... isn't that what a SWATH hull is?  Spats on a boat?  oh great, I have a feeling I just gave somebody an idea...
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Taiidantomcat

This thread is funny, great minds think alike which is why so many ideas seem to converge at the same conclusions. I must say thought that about 90 percent of the stuff i see here are things i have never thought of, and its really cool to see all the imaginations at work. Also Israeli Camo rocks, its like a cheat- it looks great on everything.
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

puddingwrestler

Are beer and twigglets cliches? :rolleyes:

I think the biggest cliche we see here is aircraft. Seriously, why are there so many ;D
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Jetfixer

OK, so far we have this, lets take an aircraft, lets say a spitfire. give it either a dirty great turboprop or turbojet (or both). make it a zwilling, has spatted undercariage and also retractable floats and a 'T' tail, paint it in Isreali Ripple Splinter cammo. For a role this aircraft plays we'd better make it a gunship too.

Anyone had enough meds to do a profile?. I know I am not that gifted (or insane  :party: )

Bestest

G
i'm not here, i'm a figment of someones imagination

Weaver

Quote from: Jetfixer on September 20, 2008, 06:25:03 AM
OK, so far we have this, lets take an aircraft, lets say a spitfire. give it either a dirty great turboprop or turbojet (or both). make it a zwilling,

You missed a trick: give it a jet one side and a turboprop the other, and you can tick the "asymetric" box for the benefit of the Dick Vogt Fan Club.....  :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Daryl J.

QuoteI think the biggest cliche we see here is aircraft. Seriously, why are there so many?

Because most of us in the beginning were aircraft guys.   :wub:   

And nothing was done against the little Steambouy nor will there likely be any resistance to the steam powered, computer controlled Portland Whiskey Distillery (1/32-35 scale) that's out in the E. Oregon Desert   so little by little there is non-aircraft stuff.   Granted the  back country still will be guarded by either a Sopwith Scooter or a powered balloon of sorts of course.    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  (Hint---> the still itself will likely be about the size and shape of the one pound Hershey's Kiss that is available around Valentine's day.)

Daryl J., with a ton of .005 or thinner weathered birch bark for this project. 

Sauragnmon

Yeah, he's right... Most of you guys started with birds.  My mad science, on the other hands, was fuelled by Ships.  Well, not Quite true, I started with Warhammer 40K.  I've got a Necron Warrior I did, with a gauss cannon hanging from one arm, supported by a fused mount on the other.  But then I found ships... mostly in line drawings, created by none other than SequoiaRanger over there.  Yes, Admiral, YOU are the cause of my Whiffing! I remember looking at his "Chichibu" and going "you know... At the very core, I think I know what that ship is!"  and then tearing it apart, mentally, by component ships, cackling like a madman.  Koya was inspired by his Chichibu.

Weaver

I like aircraft, armour AND ships, but probably aircraft first. I used to build 1/76th armour for wargaming, and I have a couple of JB Saladins and a Airfix Landrover on stock with an "unusual" diorama in mind. Also , if the Gerry Anderson GB ever gets going, I'll have a combined aircraft AND vehicle concept to offer.........
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

sequoiaranger

>LOL Spats on a Carrier...

Oh, just wait until you see my aircraft carrier with spats...no, I am not kidding.<

Sorry, boys. The "spats on a Carrier" has already been done, both in "real life" and as a model. I am referring to the PADDLEWHEEL aircraft carriers USS Sable and USS Wolverine that plied the Great Lakes training US Naval aviators during WW II.

So....this carrier had WHEELS (known as a "sidewheeler" in riverboat parlance), and they were COVERED, so I suppose you could call them "spatted" (??)

First--a pic of the real carrier (can't really see the paddlewheels)

Then, a pic of the model--the paddlewheels are near the brown hanging thingys.

Then, a pic of the "spats" from the model (decking not shown, just the hull)

SO THERE!!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Brian da Basher

Oooh "retro-spats"! Very hot!!!
:wub: :wub: :wub:
Brian da Basher

Sauragnmon

True enough, Admiral, those would count.  Though a Swath carrier would look a little more Spat-ish.

Though for Brian, one might consider doing USS Wolverine, with early carrier planes from the USN with their Spats on them.  Spatalicious, he might say.

puddingwrestler

What's more, if it was the 1930s and the pilots were dashing and fashionable, they too could be wearing spats!

And why is ev eryone taking my throw away line about planes so seriously? :rolleyes:
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.