Whiffing Cliches

Started by Mossie, September 19, 2008, 09:29:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

Most of the 'cliches' listed so far aren't really that, they're the preference (dare I say obsession?) of one member of this forum who's been vocal enough about it that it's turned into an inside joke.

dragon

Honestly, I don't think the items described are cliches. In our universe I think the word "fetish" is more accurate and descriptive.
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

philp

Umm... boots.
er, I mean, spats, yeah, yeah, spats.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

lancer

Quote from: dragon on September 20, 2008, 11:19:04 PM
Honestly, I don't think the items described are cliches. In our universe I think the word "fetish" is more accurate and descriptive.

So does that meanwe're really all members of a fetish ckub then?? :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :thumbsup:
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

dragon

Quote from: lancer on September 21, 2008, 12:23:36 PM
Quote from: dragon on September 20, 2008, 11:19:04 PM

So does that meanwe're really all members of a fetish ckub then?? :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :thumbsup:
Well, yes....Some more so than others....However I do realize that others will not consider "putty, sand, and repeat" the equivalent of "Bondage and domination". :lol:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Sauragnmon

I do, sometimes, but not so much "why did that happen" as "What the hell were they smoking!?!?!?" normally with regards to some things, like the Arrow.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

dragon

Quote from: Sauragnmon on September 21, 2008, 03:01:36 PM
I do, sometimes, but not so much "why did that happen" as "What the hell were they smoking!?!?!?" normally with regards to some things, like the Arrow.

I have asked myself that in real life.  However at that moment I was trying to make my way to Newark NJ International Airport at that time (after my Garmin GPS and my coworker's TomTom failed in that state).   :cheers:

Sauragnmon

Ah, I don't have the benefit of GPS - good old maps do it for me.  Especially when I've managed to get my direction sense set up.  My mother used to joke, in my home town, she could drop me anywhere in the city and I'd find my way home without worry.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

nev

QuoteSomeone once said "The tightest conformists are the non-conformists.  They are bound absolutely to avoid the styles and standards of conformists lest they be accused of being the same." 

Or as Lisa Simpson said

"Oooh, an ear-ring!  How rebellious!!!

In a conformist kind of way."
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Weaver

Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 21, 2008, 01:52:03 PM
Don't knock it till you've tried it!  :lol:

The only thing that really bugs me about whiffing is that people never think things through or why certain things were done in the first place.  They shouldn't be thinking "what if?" but rather "why did that happen?"

I suppose there are (at least) two grades of What if?

1. Slightly Modified Real Life. An example might be: "What If they hadn't cancelled TSR.2?" For things like this to be credible, the person proposing them really needs to do as you suggest, and think through the consequences and decisions, in engineering, operational and political terms.

2. Total Fantasy. An example might be: "What if Venezuela operated 3-engined TSR.2s with lazers?" For things like this, a completely different parallel world is really needed, or if that's too much trouble, then a frank admission that "this just looks cool but I can't justify it".

You could probably hair-split these into a dozen sub-categories, but they are, at least, two important points on the Whiff Scale.

I have both. One is an unnamed Real-Life-With-Different-Decisions background into which things like the Northrop FA-5K fit, and the the other is Patchwork World, for cool-looking little delta that just coincidentally happen to resemble a Gnat with MiG-21 wings...... ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

braincells37

Quote from: B777LR on September 19, 2008, 10:27:37 AM
You all forget the 2 most important ones. Spats and Zwillings! :thumbsup:

Spats can be a good thing!

My GeeBeeski racer

Terry
IPMS Seattle 'President For Life'

B777LR

I think we forgot the mapleleaf cliche... :huh:

Radish

Fetish? FETISH?????

My oh my.

I once identified various stages of "Whatiffery", now almost certainly obsolete...Nev has "the file" at the moment though so I can't confirm

At the moment, the current "cliche"...over here in the UK anyway, is dumping RAF decals/markings on anything with wings.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Radish

Surely the TSR2 in RAF markings just HAS to be the ultimate cliche?
I mean, that's what people build.
I must find it also a bit "lazy" that modellers stick RAF markings on aircraft without any thought of positioning, size of unit markings, etc..
Or am I too picky?
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

puddingwrestler

Must agree with you Radish, the TSR.2 is a whiffing cliche - it's the only plane with it's own forum section after all!
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.