Saur's big bunch o' Stuff - now featuring more than ships! Black Eagle/Harrier!

Started by Sauragnmon, September 19, 2008, 04:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Sauragnmon

Yes it is, Pyro, and I already got some of the camo worked on as well.  I'm using three of my gray shades I have - Pale Bluegrey, Dark Bluegray, Neutral Gray.  Doing a British Navy Swirl/Dazzle pattern.  The base gray you see in the first pics, that's the Pale Bluegray.  Dark Bluegray can be seen on the Yak-141's on Vladivostok.  Neutral is on the turrets of my Russian boats.  All my camo is freehand, and Lancer can vouch - Masks are not needed in my case.  The Gneiseau that I did, is all freehand.  I've got a camo pattern I showed him I'll have to put up here, but I basically put a 40K Imperial Guardsman, in Swiss Alpenflage.  That was a fun piece of work.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

sequoiaranger

Looks nice so far, Saur. Is it "standard" 1/700, or something smaller?

http://www.combinedfleet.com/furashita/sainta_f.htm

(remember, virtually all of this is fiction)
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Sauragnmon

It's standard 1/700 scale, cast resin.  This beauty is born in the Divine Scale only.  And while your works are fictitious in expansion, the N3 is a true design, pre-washington treaty, though you DID alter it with the second stack, and ramp the speed up a lot higher.  The original N3 was 23.5kts total speed plan, delivering 9x18" guns, 16x6" guns, plus AA.  I'm going to do the St George up in about '43 fitout, with Pom-Poms and Bofors, maybe some Oerlikons.    Camo pattern is going to be the ripple dazzle used on most of the ships of the line, including the Prince of Wales.  Soon as I'm done the Dark Bluegray layer I'll snap a couple more pics and set them up here.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Sauragnmon

Alright - I got the second layer done a few days back, finally got off my arse to post the pictures now.  Here we go, the St George, Stage 2, Hull Paint.

So there's the latest updates.  I've been short on inspiration for a little bit, so I'm feet up for a little while.  That and my jaw's bugging me too.

pyro-manic

Looking good! What era are you going to model her in? Are you going for 1920s/30s, or are you going to do a wartime fit, with heaps of extra AAA?

Brian da Basher

Your paintwork on those ships of the line is absolutely top-notch, Saur!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Sauragnmon

I'm planning 40's fit, with the pom poms and the bofors and some oerlikons.  I'm also considering a slight adjustment to the second turret mounts so they sit over the front ones.  If I do that, I'm going to scuplt in a raised section under the bridge so it levels off with the turret instead of having this free floating tower.

Thanks for the paintwork comment, Brian.  If I could figure out how, I'd do a warship with spats Just for you.

Sauragnmon

For those of you who doubted my sanity (As If) I thought I'd present More material of my madness.

First up, the new project - IJN Shinano - What if she'd gone into service, late war, as a heavy carrier, using the Shinden on the flight deck.  First, a note of scale for the IJN Shinano - she's damn big.  I mean Damn Big.  For those who doubt a Shinden could likely operate off that monster of a deck, for size comparison, the Shinden does not need folding to fit on the smaller AFT Elevator, It's a tiny little bird sitting on that monster of a carrier.  Ok, now, on with the pictures!

This, by comparison, is the B7A2 Grace, the largest carrier aircraft the IJN operated, in the aft elevator.  I did look up the wing fold positions before cutting the wings, though it would appear that my knife differentiated a little, and the wings turned out somewhat Asymmetrical.  Still, with the proper wing fold locations, there would still be a clearance of feet between the wings and the walls, which is always good.  I plan to have the Shinano's compliment featuring the J7W1, the B7A2, the D4Y2 and the C6N1.  Tamiya was gracious enough to give me two late-war aircraft sprues, which provide me a total of 2 B7A2, 2 C6N1, 8 D4Y2.  It also comes with a dozen A6M (go figure) and eight B6N's, which I plan to use on a light carrier project, since if I recall the B7A might not have been able to fit on them, and the B6N was the absolute edge of what would fit at the elevator walls.  The Light Carrier will also operate the Reppu, which would have been more apt for operating off a carrier like Kaiyo.  Thankyou Pit-Road for making a set of aircraft that includes more of the B7A2 and the J7W1 aircraft, in quite nice detail as well, pictured here:

As you can see, the sprue includes two Shinden, two B7A2 Ryusei, but it also includes two G8N's, two A7M's and two A5M's.  I thought of another Shinano set up for a humourously named "Do Lottle" raid, a payback hit on the States with G8N's on the deck, but I found myself seriously doubting those four engined monsters could make it off the deck.  Maybe with assist rockets, but who knows.

Next up on the list, an update to the St George - I got the gun barrels, though Great Models, through a lacking-in-brightness Customer Service Rep, has delayed shipping of my Nelson because of her incompetence.  Ah well, such is life, I still have a Rodney to sacrifice the secondary battery turrets and some of the other bits, so I am not horribly screwed for core parts.  The barrels presented are the Aber Yamato barrels, very nice gun barrels, well detailed, and they fit decently into the sockets, albeit with some wiggle.  I also did part of the third camoflage layer, having a surplus of the shade of grey I was using for the radomes on Udaloy 1.5, so I applied it for the third layer as planned.  Comments/rude remarks welcome.

And last, the Udaloy 1.5, 99.99 percent completed, just a little final touching up and she's ready to be called finished.  Namely this is some detail, the boat davits, touching up the helicopter.  The mast radar was a bit of a pain, namely the Top Steer pair.  Everything else went relatively well.

So there we go, there's the latest expansion to my insanity done and displayed.  Comments, thoughts, suggestions are welcome, solicited.

sotoolslinger

That level of artistry is truely inspiring Saur :wub:
Beautiful work :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Sauragnmon

BlackOps

Wow! you have been quite busy. A lot of really cool stuff here, plenty to look at and try to absorb  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

pyro-manic

St. George is looking great, and Shinano will be a monster. Great stuff as always! :)

Brian da Basher

That's truly impressive, Saur! I really like the different colors on the carrier which will be offset nicely by your airwing's hinomorus. As I've got an aircraft carrying airship project in the "on deck circle", I'll be watching with great interest!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Sauragnmon

Thanks guys, always love hearing good commentary.

BlackOps - this work's been over a year in process, and I've got attention deficit disorder, so needless to say I have about twelve projects in the build right now in various stages.

Pyro - St George is coming along well, even if I'm cursing the bastards who were supposed to ship me the Nelson I need for the pom poms and stuff.

Brian - Thanks, it's going with the late-war Japanese carrier idea of "let's give it a false silhouette of a cargo ship" double-green pattern.  The Hinomarus will definately make things stand out.  The airwing will look very nice, and certainly unique, with the Shinden on the flight deck, not to mention the B7A2's.  Those beauties are massive, the B7's, makes me want to get my hands on the 1/72 model of it, they're just beautiful.