Saur's big bunch o' Stuff - now featuring more than ships! Black Eagle/Harrier!

Started by Sauragnmon, September 19, 2008, 04:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sequoiaranger

Nice Work!

One of these days I will be making a "Bon Homme Richard" (Furashita's Fleet -- http://www.combinedfleet.com/furashita/bonhom_f.htm  ) angled-deck, stretched "Yorktown"-type aircraft carrier. I now have the parts, and am trying to obtain 1/700 Skyraiders for it, but have had no end of trouble with conflicting order numbers and "out of stock" messages at various model-sellers websites. One of these days....
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Sauragnmon

Thanks, guys.  It's always nice to hear the good reviews and feedback.  The "Rude Remarks" part stems from an old SWO I had in the Cadets, tag end of a lecture she'd pipe up with "Questions? Comments? Queries? Rude Remarks?" fishing for that hiding response in there.

SR, if you look over at Freetime Hobbies, and give them a call, you can get an answer whether you'll be able to get them.  The Lowe boys are good at getting stuff, and I've ordered stuff that wasn't currently in stock and gotten it relatively quickly.  Just because it isn't in stock, doesn't mean it can't be ordered.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

anthonyp

I just ordered from Freetime for the first time last week and got the shipment today.  They're good in my book!   :thumbsup:

Speaking of that order, it contained my Des Moines and Long Beach models.  They're longer than my strike cruiser, which sorta surprised me.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Sauragnmon

I'll admit, they've been my main source for ship models - especially when the CAN-US exchange was running beautifully.  I've had nothing but good service through them, and they reply in a timely fashion when I've emailed them with questions.

Looking forward to seeing your work on the Strike Cruiser, Anthony.  Even if I think Tico structures are ugly, they're still a step up from the Long Beach tower.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Sauragnmon

The HIJMS Owari, an IJN Fast Battleship, possibly a testament to the continuation of the 8-8 Plan, the Owari may not pack the 18" of some designs, but her speed and 16"/50 battery would have been something.  In light of aircraft becoming prominent, the Owari carries no dedicated surface secondary battery, opting for heavy ammounts of AA all over the place.  Yes, that's right, she used to be an Iowa.  Inspired by a build over at What If, I figured I'd take his concept and detail it a little further to the Japanese side.  Custom-machined brass 16/50's, IJN 5/50 shielded turrets, and I'll be fitting as much Japanese equipment in place as I can get to bring it up to full layout.  Pics!

Questions, Comments, Queries, Rude Remarks are welcome, just no lynch mobs please.

sequoiaranger

>SR, if you look over at Freetime Hobbies, and give them a call, you can get an answer whether you'll be able to get them. <

Thanks for the tip. I ordered the 1965 aircraft set (that includes Skyraiders) from them. Somewhat unfortunately, I had also ordered two sets from "Playmoya", so I will be AWASH in Skyraiders (or should I say, "Douglas Decimators"---from another thread on Skyraider whifs)!!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Sauragnmon

Taiidantomcat

You should be assaulted for such an ingenious idea  :wacko: LOL Love the Chris...Khris...Chryse...The imperial emblem on front. and the shielded turrets make a great difference...like it more already! those small details really set it off!  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Sauragnmon

yeah they do, TT - you know I got it from you to start with, so it's you that started this monster.  She'll come out quite interestingly.  The small details are really doing the extra bit on this to be sure.

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: Sauragnmon on August 07, 2009, 10:48:23 PM
  She'll come out quite interestingly.  The small details are really doing the extra bit on this to be sure.

I think it will look better than mine though truth be told.   :cheers:

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Sauragnmon

It's just the depth of the conversion, more than anything, TT.  You started the concept in my head, and I'm just taking it a little further is all.

Sauragnmon

Alright, a while back on the P-38 thread I suggested, and got a profile from GTX, of a P-38 with Benzes on the booms.  I got a P-38 from Chrisonord, and in the bulk buy from Gary I got a BF-110 - there'll be more on that 110 eventually, she's not a graveyard dog.  The P-38 got DB-605's from a 110G, add putty and knife, I've smoothed the exhausts which are trunked back for the turbochargers - yes, she's still going to be turbocharged, boys.  More Power!!  Pics:

As always, Questions, Comments, Queries and Rude Remarks are welcome.

Taiidantomcat

Great start! Keep us posted on progress, have you thought of a scheme yet?

ChernayaAkula

Cool!   :wacko:

Regarding markings, the choices are obvious. You can choose between a night fighter with Schräge Musik behind the pilot and some 20mm cannons in the nose or a bomber destroyer with the BK-5 50mm cannon in the nose.

The wasp of ZG 1 could look cool on a Lightning's nose....
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Sauragnmon

Not entirely sure on markings, but I'm actually thinking Day Fighter with this monster - she's got the speed and performance to be a daytime defense fighter - a Nachtjager would need a radar, thus a second man to make it an effective fighter.  BK-5 might be interesting in the lower mount, matched up with a pair of MG-131's now that you think about it... I'm not too much of a fan of the Schrage Musik though, so I'll skip that one - 20's in the nose is something I've thought over, with the 151/20 having a nice size to it.

Squadron, I'm not sure - I might avoid some detailed markings though, as I do paint most of them.  If I'm gonna do the Wasp, I might have to wait until I've got a new yellow (I'm about to execute my existing, as it's far too damn watery to get any even application.