Saur's big bunch o' Stuff - now featuring more than ships! Black Eagle/Harrier!

Started by Sauragnmon, September 19, 2008, 04:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Quotegot a profile from GTX, of a P-38 with Benzes on the booms.

Oh great - I get blamed again :lol:.

Re scheme, I would do her as realistic as possible (i.e. US markings with German ones over the top or even in a "Zirkus Rosarius" type scheme) and try to pass it off as a real world version - i.e. that the germans re-engined one. :wacko:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Sauragnmon

Oh yeah, it's ALL your fault, Greg. One hundred percent.

As to scheme, I'm actually gonna make off as a German Built machine actually - Arado or Dornier steal the Zerstorer business off Willy and his Gang.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Sauragnmon

Alright, here's the new blood on the table, my F-18GLH - I settled on the designation after talking with Evan, who got me started on the build with our discussion the other night.  I'd like to take this chance to thank Eddie for the engine as well, a 1/48 scale Long-petal J-79, which has been surgically installed into a Hasegawa 1/72 F-18E that I bought off Gary a while back.  It started with the thought of a single engine 18, and then got really pushed when I ran into the problem Draken wings in same scale don't fit too well, and then snitched an engine off this for my Japagripen.  Long story short, I was down an engine and scratching my head.  Eddie sent me the engine, and here we stand today.  The designation name I would take this moment to thank Carroll Shelby for, borrowed from his Dodge days - F-18 Goes Like Hell!  Pictures!

As always, ladies and gentlemen - questions, comments, queries and rude remarks are welcome.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

ChernayaAkula

Okay, I'll try a rude remark:

:o HOLY CRAP!  :o

This is gonna be one Hornet that severely kicks posterior!  :bow:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Sauragnmon

Thanks, Moritz - I've been working on smoothing and filling the engine area out a little more, the styrene was a good starter, but really it's all coming down to one of those things I've come to do well - Putty Fu!

BlackOps

NASA sponsored F-18? What are you going to call this? Apollo 20?   ;D   Gonna be a screamer!
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Sauragnmon

Nah, I'm not sure who sponsored it, but I'm going to do it in Vandy 1, just because the whole layout screams that it'll be perfect on this beast to put it in the sleek black colours.  Could have been a different upgrade proposal, or maybe what wound up being the land based proposal, I'm not sure, it just struck me as an awesome piece to do.

Sauragnmon

Alright, the putty's done, the main coat and the paint is laid on the engine, overall so far so good, just a few touchups inside the engine to clean it up, and a few around the engine join with the paint.  She's coming along decently so far.  Pics!

As always, gentlemen - questions, comments, queries and rude remarks are welcome and invited.

Sauragnmon

No comments? no Problem!

Well, an update of sorts on my Luft P-38 - got a chunk of painting done, including three of four sides of the twin rudders - I kept the third unpainted to landmark for the banding on the rudder flashes.  I went with something close to a day-fighter scheme, as I figure the '38 would have enough teeth and fight to hack it as a daytime Zerstorer.  Pics!

As always, questions, comments, queries and rude remarks are welcome if not outright invited.

Eddie M.

That P-38 sure looks good ,but that Hornet is just WOW! It reminds me I need to finish a single engine jet I've got going myself.
Look behind you!

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Sauragnmon

Eddie M.

Yes it does and it absolutely fits the use you've found for it. If I ever finish my F-15SE, I'll be doing a Hornet like yours as well. I REALLY like the looks of it. ;D
Look behind you!

Sauragnmon

Well, I'm always happy to receive compliments from Der Meister.  I'm humbled you take such appreciation and notice of my work, Big E, and it's much appreciated.

Sauragnmon

Alright, I did a little bit of a test today with a few prospective camo colour schemes.  I'm working out the plan before I start the project for the camo paint, so I tested it on a dead A-10 wing today.  I'm looking for opinions on which one works better, so here it is:

I had three shades of a lighter green that I wanted to test on the brown, and two darker greens to test for the shadowing effect - turns out in the context, the two darker shades are moot, so let's focus on the lighter greens.  Thoughts?