Saur's big bunch o' Stuff - now featuring more than ships! Black Eagle/Harrier!

Started by Sauragnmon, September 19, 2008, 04:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sauragnmon

Alright, I had to feed my inner geek back in January, and I bought myself the beautiful Fine Molds TIE Interceptor.  It arrived earlier this week, and needless to say, I was on it like white on rice.  I didn't really start the kit until I had the colour scheme sketched out - a buddy of mine showed me the 181st Squadron's TIE Interceptor markings, with the red bands on the wings, and I thought I'd do something to some of the details to give it more colour - I had plans for the solar panels, and didn't want to cover over the paint plan, so I did the outer wing frames, and the front framing.  I started with the dark blue, and that looked a little flat to me, so I did the inner framing in light blue and drybrushed it over the outer frames before I set the panels in, to give it a more multidimensional and irregular look.  Then I added some metal to spark it up a little bit more.  The stand isn't a clear metal, as I basecoated it with a Dark Bluegrey, and only one coat of Gunmetal, so the bluegrey shows through in a sort of algae-metal colouring, which looks cool to me.  The weapons config is my personal favourite, the multirole desigh with four Lasers and two Ions in the eyeball mounts.  Enough talking - Pics!

As always - questions, comments, queries and rude remarks are not only welcome, but invited.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Cobra

Great Job :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: i have 2 Nephews that would Go Nuts seeing that Ship!!!!!!!Got any more Great Stuff you plan to Post???????? Keep up the Great Work :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cheers: Dan

lancer

Nice looking 'squint' Simon. I built this kit a while back and put the 181st red stripes on the wings. The Rogue squadron graphic novels are a good source of reference for them.
They also look pretty striking as well
Squint is the alliance/New Republic's fighter corps nickname for the TiE Interceptor BTW. Why yes, I am a Rogue Squadron geek!!
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

chrisonord

Very nice piece of work there Simon, she is certainly the looker :thumbsup:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Sauragnmon

Thankyou, gentlemen, for the kind comments.

Dan - the kit's not that expensive from a supplier like luckymodel, you might consider it for a birthday present for those nephews.  Fine Molds also does a couple of "rebel scum" craft as well.

Lancer - I was inspired by the 181st bands, but wanted to keep the panels clean, so I went for a little difference in style.  I had an AMT Interceptor as a kid, I've always loved the sharp wings of the design, and seeing the Fine Molds kit I knew I had to get one, and give it the kind of love I could apply with the years under my belt.

Chris - that she is, and like I said, the kit lends itself well to the detailing.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

lancer

I've still got the original TiE fighter as well as one of those 'Rebel Scum' X-Wing jobbies in the stash. I just need to track down the Y-wing for the set.
Did Fine Molds ever do the B-Wing at all?
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Sauragnmon

I'd be tempted to get one of the TIE Fighters, just for the sake of it, eventually.  I had the thought of doing an X-Ceptor with an X-Wing model if I got my hands on one.  Fine Molds hasn't done a B-Wing, but that doesn't mean they might not add it to the roster eventually.  I'm hoping they add more Imperial stuff though.

tc2324

74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

Mossie

Very nice, subtly different!  I've somehow avoided the Fine Molds Star Wars kits, not sure why.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Just found this on the Wookiepedia entry for the TIE Fighter:

QuoteOriginally meant to have a blue color on the hull, this was abandoned when blue-screen filming made the fighters transparent.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE/ln_starfighter

So I guess you've done it how it was always meant to be! :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Sauragnmon

Alright... it's been a little quiet project of mine for a bit, concept known as Black Eagle - a F-15E I got from Chris, that I had plans to fit Russian engines and Flanker wings onto, and give it a bit more of a Soviet look and some Improved appearances in a few places.  I got upset with the kit pit, and so I bought the Aires set - well, it wasn't sized to fit, so it took a little finesse, some PSR, some knifeplay, but last night the fuselage got buttoned up... ish.  Then I dug into the box and found... I'd lost the nosecone somehow.  Desperate to help hold the nose together (it wanted to seperate) I had to find SOMETHING that had a diameter that would fit the nosecone join on this monster.  Dig and dig I did, searching around, until I found a seperated Fishbed nose.  Great, now I just needed something to cap it.  A little more digging, I pulled the end cap from a Strike Flanker stinger, and fitted it over the shock cone nose space.  Add some PSR, and here we are - the current progress.  The cockpit required me to rip out the nose gear bay to get the space for it, so it's gears up - no nose gear hatches, so I had to get creative and putty that spot.  How am I getting it to stay up? Three Citadel Flying stands, the nose one longer in the base so it has a nose-up angle on it.  Enough talk, now for pictures!

Had to take a picture to show off some of the Impressive detail of the Aires pit - the fit notwithstanding (not the right kit, so not their fault), it's a beautiful little piece of work.

As always, Ladies and Gents, questions, comments, queries and rude remarks are welcome, invited, and appreciated.

chrisonord

The eagle is certainly going to look plenty different Simon thats for sure.
I will be watching how this beasty comes out.
Cheers,
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Sauragnmon

Well, I've been a busy boy since the last updates - the nose got smoothed, the wings and H-Tails are on, and there's been more paint slapped on.  I decided to take a break after finishing this, because my eyes were losing the ability to focus properly.  You'll understand in a moment - Pics!

And I'm not even done yet - more splinters in another colour, highlighted like this, and possibly some little tints on the grey coat as well to shadow it further and add more depth.

As always, gentlemen - questions, comments, queries and rude remarks are welcome, invited and appreciated.

pyro-manic

Wow, that's a nifty looking beast, Saur! The dazzle camo is great, and I'm interested to see what you do with the intakes etc.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<