Saur's big bunch o' Stuff - now featuring more than ships! Black Eagle/Harrier!

Started by Sauragnmon, September 19, 2008, 04:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthulhu77

Can you say "wonderful"?  Can ya'?   Awesome stuff, love ship whatiffs.

Sauragnmon

Well, Cthulhu, you might want to keep your eyes here, there's more to come yet!  I've got a big stockpile of ship models, and not many are going to be non-whifs!

Stay tuned, ladies and gents, coming soon™, on Saur's Big Bunch of Stuff:

The USS Missouri 2004, "The Mightier Mo" featuring 5" 54cal single mounts, Mk 41 VLS, Nuclear Reactors, RAM and AEGIS Radar!

The KMS Freiderich Der Grosse, H-39 class Battleship!

The KMS Bismarck, under Soviet capture, refitted in 1984, featuring Helicopters, modern weapon systems, modern electronics, and surface to surface guided missiles!

The IJN Shinano, as planned, featuring the 10cm mountings in place of 12.7cm positions!

The IJN Dewa, Super Yamato with 20" main battery!

And More!  (That's just one that's due soon, and others in stash)
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Sauragnmon

And you people thought I was sane?

I checked around the house this morning and behold, a package hath arrived with my name on it... and needless to say, I couldn't wait to get it upstairs and do a little bit of dry-fit mock-up proof-of-concept work.  Now, behold, the Mightier Mo, in Mock-up!

Well, I can see there's going to have to be a little (read, Lot) of putty work in some places, like the aft structure, so I can fit the three VLS in and make them believable.  The Broadside VLS seem to be fine for location, a little putty to flush the side up, though using the angled plates would help with that.  The 5" turrets appear to have little size gap with the twins, lengthwise, as they still run to the back of the forward mount almost.  Interesting to note that the ABLs can actually be modeled with the launchers open, I've never seen somebody have them popped open before, might consider those on my Sprucan.

As usual - questions, comments, queries, rude remarks always welcome.

Also in the shipment was the M60 portion of my project - I abandoned hope with my LHS and had my favourite online dealer send me these two kits, plus some 1/700 RAM launchers.

Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

sequoiaranger

>And you people thought I was sane?<

Not me. I know better!

If you have a Dremel rotary razor-saw you might be able to sacrifice a row or two of the missiles, and create some "open" launchers by carefully cutting the tops off.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Sauragnmon

True enough, SR, True Enough.  You knew I wasn't sane BEFORE I even started kit building!

I don't have a dremel actually, so I don't have that luxury in truth.  I'm going to have plenty of launch tubes on the ship when I'm done though, it'd make the Arsenal Ship look pathetic.  There's the two you see there, plus copies on the opposite side, plus another on the raise where the aft stack should be.  If I can figure out how to swing it, I'll have another one in place of the forward stack, probably involving copious practice of Putty-Fu.  The 5" mounts are all going to be single 54cal guns, plus the 16" 55cal guns which are yet to be shown here, courtesy of one of the boys over at Modelwarships.  Aegis mountings will likely be on the superstructure, low to the build.  RAM Launchers, I'm planning at least two, maybe four, with two on the centerline, maybe on the turret tops, and the other two potentially set up on the fantail in the old Bofors mounts.

sequoiaranger

>I don't have a dremel actually, so I don't have that luxury in truth. <

Power tools just makes things easier (and makes screw-ups more destructive!). If you have a "razor saw" of any sort (and if you don't---get one) I can see where you can carefully cut off the tops of a corner strip of five, cant up the tops, and make a set of open launching tubes. You might be able to do that progressively, then cut out a section of "open" launchers and substitute the "open" launcher section in another cluster.

Or, if you can stand to sacrifice a cluster, send one to me and I'll make you a series of "open" launchers.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Sauragnmon

I'll consider it, SR, but as of right now, I'm content to leave it as is.  I might have one launcher set to spare, I'm not sure how much I want to work on the forward stack, but I'll consider your option.  As it stands, Mightier Mo is on hold so I can prioritize my Grey Pride F-20 build.  It's the second group build I've gotten in on between two boards, damnit I want to actually finish a project on time!

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Sauragnmon

ah, Chernaya, that's not Mighty Mo... Mighty Mo is the nickname for Missouri as it stands - this is Mighty-ER Mo.

Sauragnmon

Alright - you people want Putty-Fu, you got Putty-Fu.  I showed some of it with my F-20 in the Grey Pride build, but this, This is Putty Fu.  Mightier Mo, progress update - I work between the F-20 and the Mo.

There's the simple stuff - the forward Aegis plates.

Here's the bulk of the work - the Aft Superstructure.  This is where the most of my build-up is.  It's all centered around smoothing it out, I'll be adding two more AEGIS plates on the new aft structure, and I'll be adding the side plates from Trumpy as well, for detail effect.

Brian da Basher

That's an awesome display of Putty-Fu, Saur! I really enjoy your ship models.

Looking forward to seeing this beauty launched!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Sauragnmon

Did a little more revision on the aft structure, mounted the other VLS on that deck, puttied those corners.

I had to also cut out eight tubes on the aft stack VLS - the two Phalanx mounts made it too narrow for me to align it on the centerline, so I put it beamwise, and had to cut out the corners.  Of course, they also now overlap the Harpoon positions a little, so I'll have to fill the mount drops and make a revision - I might just position them further outboard, or use the corners for some.

I also have more putty-fu coming up when I start revising the two angled VLS positions so they smooth up nicely that are forward of the aft Phalanx.  Not to mention what I'll do if/when I get around to mounting the VLS over the forward stack position too.

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Sauragnmon

That you, of all people, say that, STS, I am humbled.  I've seen your Putty-Fu, and it is strong indeed.

pyro-manic

Looking good, Saur! Mo will turn out to be quite a beast, I'm sure!

My one gripe is that the blast overpressure from the main battery would trash the SPY-1 radar. IIRC adding Aegis to the Iowas was actually looked at in the early 80s, but they couldn't be mounted without being damaged by the blast. Perhaps some groovy armoured screens that fold over to protect the emitters when the 16" rifles are used?

Is she going to get any aircraft? A couple of Seahawks or an Osprey would look good parked on the stern. :)
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<