Saur's big bunch o' Stuff - now featuring more than ships! Black Eagle/Harrier!

Started by Sauragnmon, September 19, 2008, 04:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logan Hartke

Thanks for the props, Saur.  You did a fine job pulling off that paint scheme; not easy.

Cheers,

Logan

Weaver

Quote from: Sauragnmon on June 15, 2009, 11:32:32 AM
The USN as well kept 21" tubes for ASW torpedoes, the catch being, that my Republic of Japan ships keep the 24" tubes for better range and warhead, as they can carry heavier torpedoes.  Let us not forget, that even in the missile age, the torpedo's destructive power has not been seen ineffective, and even now, most ASW missiles use a torpedo for the warhead.

Plus the Russians actually fire big ASW missiles, originally intended for submarine use, from their ship torpedo tubes.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Sauragnmon

Thanks guys, the comments really help with keeping me going.  You think it's hard, try this - I did it freehand, not a single bit of masking.  I started with the light green, as you can see, as the basecoat.  I went from there, did a rough ammount of the gray, but I left the outline untouched.  I did the dark green then, with a fine tip brush, but only just before the markings, which I did by hand, then edged in to sharpen up the lines, continued the camo, then cleaned up the underbody colour with that same fine brush.  What you can't see in the pictures is the piece of the MLG that I actually had to replace with 20ga wire because it snapped off while still on the sprue.

Chris, I agree, she looks just mad wicked in this scheme.

Weaver, an often unknown proviso to the Russians firing ASW missiles from their tubes - only the Fixed tubes, not the trainable mounts, can fire the ASW missiles - Sovremenny class, for example, can't fire them, nor can the Udaloy I's, but the Udaloy II, and Neustrashimmy, can because of their fixed tubes.  My guess would be that the tubes are longer in the fixed layout, so they can accommodate the missile.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

ChernayaAkula

Scaly Hind is the bomb!

Jolly well done!

EDIT: With this paint job the Hind-A looks even more like frog from head-on than it usually does. :lol:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Sauragnmon

Thanks, Moritz, I have to agree, she just looks so natural in the scaly lizard scheme... certainly lives up to her other nickname - Crocodile.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Sauragnmon

Thankyou, Ron, she's coming along nicely - just got a few of the finishing parts and then she's all detail bits, all those sticky-outy parts that add the extra details.  Gotta admit, I love the camo myself.  I gotta think of good camo schemes for the Other Three that'll compare up with this.  I Think the VM's gonna get a Russian Splinter job on it, the V I'll likely do in Canadian colours maybe, and I dunno with the P.

Mossie

Great work on the camo, must have sent you nearly blind! :blink:  I'm quite a fan of the Hind A, a whirlybird you don't see enough of.

:wub: :wub: :wub:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Sauragnmon

Don't see enough of, compounded more so by the fact Both producers stopped making it - curse the lot of them.

I'm used to working in fine levels, really, but the biggest problem was the slow pace of covering the whole airframe.  Time intensive more than difficult per se, but I find Freehand Camo works the best overall with me.

Brian da Basher

That's one show-stopping paintjob! A real testament to your talent and skill!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Mossie

Quote from: Sauragnmon on June 23, 2009, 09:09:42 AM
Don't see enough of, compounded more so by the fact Both producers stopped making it - curse the lot of them.

I'm used to working in fine levels, really, but the biggest problem was the slow pace of covering the whole airframe.  Time intensive more than difficult per se, but I find Freehand Camo works the best overall with me.

I've tried it before with passable results camo patterns, but for the straight demarcation I'm just too clumsy & it'd have to be masked.  I found that when I outlined the camouflage, I'd end up with the edges being noticeably different to the centres, mostly because of the different direction of the brush strokes.  How did you avoid this?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Sauragnmon

Thanks, BdB, I'm glad it's a well appreciated piece of work.

Mossie, I avoided any problems in difference on the paint because each spot is literally one maybe two brushstrokes.  I use my 5/0 brush for them, and this is 1/72 scale, so I can get away with a clean, even stroke when applying the camo.  I just take to it without a problem, and it's probably one benefit of working in such small spots, is that I don't have to pick up more paint, I get an even application with the single spot.  I don't even mask the canopies, I just work the fine brush over the lines, and take the blunt edge of an exacto to remove the overbrushed paint, cleaning up the line as I do.  It's almost like calligraphy in a way, I don't work with the brush straight on, but instead with a slightly oblique angle.

Weaver

Quote from: Sauragnmon on June 22, 2009, 09:05:38 AM
Weaver, an often unknown proviso to the Russians firing ASW missiles from their tubes - only the Fixed tubes, not the trainable mounts, can fire the ASW missiles - Sovremenny class, for example, can't fire them, nor can the Udaloy I's, but the Udaloy II, and Neustrashimmy, can because of their fixed tubes.  My guess would be that the tubes are longer in the fixed layout, so they can accommodate the missile.

Didn't know that - cheers!  :thumbsup:

The Hind-A looks excellent - top paint job!  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: Sauragnmon on June 23, 2009, 07:16:23 AM
<...>  I dunno with the P.

I know! Since you did a fantastic job adapting Logan's Frogfoot scheme to the Hind, how about ANOTHER GO? :bow: That scheme would look fantastic on a Hind. And a Hind would be the natural link between the ZBD-2000 amphibious fighting vehicle and the Frogfoot.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Sauragnmon

Tempting, Moritz, though That concept just begs to have it applied to 1/700 Hinds on some kind of LHD/LHA deal...