Main Menu

Avro Atom

Started by Weaver, September 20, 2008, 02:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lancer

Quote from: Weaver on October 11, 2008, 08:36:11 PM
The Spineless MiG-21 is thought-provoking, isn't it?

I know, who would ever thing that MiG21's could be cowards??? It's shocking!!!! :banghead: :banghead:
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

BlackOps

Quote from: lancer on October 12, 2008, 03:27:22 PM

I know, who would ever thing that MiG21's could be cowards??? It's shocking!!!! :banghead: :banghead:

Lancer, ya got me laughin' with that one ;D 

Weaver, looking forward to watching this one progress, I think removing the spine was a stroke of genius.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Weaver

Quote from: lancer on October 12, 2008, 03:27:22 PM

Uh huh - I'm still trying to come up with some tortuous logic whereby I can make "Spineless" the NATO ASCC reporting name...... ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

I decided to go with the "black hole" cockpit principle, since it worked so well on the Migina and I'm paying my cockpit dues with the Flitzer. I've cut the back end of the fuselage off at an angle, thinned it down hugely with the dremel, and it will now take a separate jetpipe made from alloy tube. This is another "authentic" 727ish feature. I've cut new wing lowers for the MiG wings, so that I can cut new u/c bays into them. Helpfully, the cutouts in the left and right upper wings are different depths  :banghead:, so one new lower has had to be sanded down, while the other has had a thin shim panel added to it.

Since I'll be producing home made decals for this, it occurs to me to do black-on-clear detail ones for the u/c bays, and then stick them on over a coat of aluminium. Good idea/bad idea?

The Airfix Gnat is a real piece of work, isn't it?  (And I do NOT mean that as a complement...... :rolleyes:)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

sotoolslinger

If God hadn't wanted us to kitbash he wouldn't have made bad model kits ;D :wub:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

ysi_maniac

^^^^^ :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BTW: Love the process of this model :cheers:
Will die without understanding this world.

Weaver

Small update. Undercarriage bays cut, minor filling work done, bulkhead to keep the jet pipe out of the cockpit and the seat's in paint with my first ever Tamiya Tape straps on it. In the picture is a rough prototype of an u/c bay detail decal. It's printed on paper not film, so it's a bit bright.

I just noticed the Freightdog Avro 720 build thread hereabouts: nice to see my guesswork on the u/c position confirmed!  :mellow: (I had to keep telling myself "it's NOT too far forward, it's NOT!")

- Indiana Jones

Captain Canada

Looking good....love the idea.

And a spineless Mig-21 known as the Mig-21 'Coward' ? Hilarious !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

Quote from: Weaver on November 16, 2008, 05:56:48 PM

I just noticed the Freightdog Avro 720 build thread hereabouts: nice to see my guesswork on the u/c position confirmed!  :mellow: (I had to keep telling myself "it's NOT too far forward, it's NOT!")

I've noticed on all the delta models I have that if you measure about one third of the way down the chord at the root starting at the leading edge that is usually the position where the u/c is located, so I think you've done very well with the position.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

Okay, this got stalled because I couldn't do much more until I got the fuselage together, which meant I needed the seat, which I made and painted up quite nicely, which I then lost, which I then sulked about for a couple of weeks.... :rolleyes:

So here it is with seat Mk.2 installed, which means things can start to rock'n'roll again:

- Indiana Jones

The Rat

Quote from: Weaver on January 04, 2009, 06:01:55 PM
Okay, this got stalled because I couldn't do much more until I got the fuselage together, which meant I needed the seat, which I made and painted up quite nicely, which I then lost, which I then sulked about for a couple of weeks.... :rolleyes:

So here it is with seat Mk.2 installed, which means...

... which means that now you'll find seat Mk.1!  ;D

Lookin' great, keep the pics coming!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Sisko

Watching this with much interest! :thumbsup:
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

retro_seventies

Looking brill - gonna be even better next time we see it, i just know it!

Spineless Mig-21 would have to start with an 'F', no?  Coward's out then - "Fearful" maybe?   :banghead:
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Weaver

Quote from: retro_seventies on January 04, 2009, 08:06:38 PM
Looking brill - gonna be even better next time we see it, i just know it!

Spineless Mig-21 would have to start with an 'F', no?  Coward's out then - "Fearful" maybe?   :banghead:

Were there any code series that did start with "S" though? It could be a MiG-21 adapted to a different mission, the same way a MiG-15 is a Fagot but a MiG-15UTI (trainer) is a Mongol....

Edit: answered my own question - no there isn't, because surface-to-surface missiles have "S" names, i.e. Scud, Scaleboard etc... However, that discovery also contains the solution: the MiG-21 Spineless could be a cruise-missile development.... :mellow: :thumbsup:

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

AT LAST - THE FUSELAGE IS TOGETHER! REJOICE!

The bridge piece on top will have to be filled and smoothed before the spine goes on.

More Airfix Gnat lovliness: one side of the lower rear fuselage has a damn great bulge in it:

An alloy tube tailpipe has been made and had a disc of thick plastic rammed into it's end to provide something to glue to. I'm considering leaving it unpainted and fitting it right at the end....

- Indiana Jones