Camouflaged USAF UH-1N

Started by cthulhu77, September 21, 2008, 12:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthulhu77

OK, the last three kits I have been sent are all medium gray....gag.  Is there anything fun to do with a Twin Huey besides the weird blotch camo of the airfarce?  I could sure use some inspiration.

Radish

Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Archangel

The first one I remember seeing was painted gray with a white roof and had a red,white and blue cheet line down the side. It was an Air Force UH-1N. I wish I had kept the picture of it.

jcf

Shasper

If you wanted to go USAF, there's the scheme thats similar to the old 2-tone gray/green camo the HH-60s use to sport.

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: Shasper on September 21, 2008, 03:31:20 PM
If you wanted to go USAF, there's the scheme thats similar to the old 2-tone gray/green camo the HH-60s use to sport.

Shas 8)

Old? The Hueys at Kirtland AFB still sport that!

Its not a 212 but it does have 212 dynamic components and rotors. And this is a What if forum...
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

No, no, no..... the scheme you want to do, Greg, is the CANAL ZONE scheme used at Hurlbert Field in the 1980's. It's not weird it's cool and no two machines were the same..... Go on you know it makes sense.

Overall Dk Compass Grey with large mottles of Field Green, Olive Drab and 'Earth' brown...... I'll Google it now and post a link if I can...... back in a minute or ten.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Ian the Kiwi Herder

http://www2.hurlburt.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/040913-F-3005G-017.jpg Here ya go

Here too:- http://www.resimland.com/image.php?image=./data/media/52/Bell_UH-1N_Iroquois_27Huey27.jpg&maxim_size=900

Austrian ones are cool too - You could leave-off the soft ground skis, extra mirrors etc, unless of course you want to indulge your craving for scratchbuilding with plastic card, evergreen rods and stretched sprue !
http://www.bmlv.gv.at/english/dynmod/vollbild/ab_212.jpg

Then there's the Mexican ones:- http://www.acig.org/artman/uploads/mexaf_bell_212.jpg

Israeli ones a wee bit drab though:- http://www.davidpride.com/Aviation/IAF/images/IAFM_04_124.jpg

Then there's the USN orange/white base SAR birds and the overall red/orange ones from the 'Puckered Penguines' that were down in Antarctica for years - I believe they've been replaced now, but I'm not certain with what.... probably an H-60 derivative.

HTH

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

cthulhu77

Some interesting schemes. I can't do the camo one, as Scott is building the same bird in that coloration. Boy, I sure hope someone in the military comes up with some better colouration, this bland/bland is boring as hell.

I don't know if I want to do a civvy bird, but maybe a SAR. Have to mull it over.

Thank you all, the photos are inspiring!!!! :cheers:

Taiidantomcat

I apologize for not being able to find a pic but my dad worked on UH-1Ns in the USAF for 20 years and while stationed at Howard AFB in Panama in the early 80s they had UH-1Ns painted in SEA Camo complete with white lettering on the tail, and scalloped white undersides. Its killing me because i have the picture in a book right in front of me but can not find it on the web  :banghead: I will make a kinkos trip and scan it this afternoon. Looks sweet! and the fact that it is hard to find should be  a good indicator that it probably hasn't been done too often...

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

cthulhu77

You are a true friend!!!!  Thanks!

Taiidantomcat

cthulhu77

The "N's" had the same sort of camo as the 'H's" ?  I guess that would make sense in Panama, wouldn't it?

cthulhu77

Did you get a chance to ask your Dad about the N's?  That scheme would be perfect for the kit (it's a Panda, and camo would speed up the build), thanks for the image.
   Greg