Camouflaged USAF UH-1N

Started by cthulhu77, September 21, 2008, 12:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Quote from: cthulhu77 on September 22, 2008, 02:36:47 PM
The "N's" had the same sort of camo as the 'H's" ?  I guess that would make sense in Panama, wouldn't it?

Hi Greg, the data block on the image does not refer to the helicopters in the photo... they are definitely twin engined Bell 212/UH-1N models.

Jon

cthulhu77

Thanks Jon !  What I know about UH-1's, you could fit into a small pamphlet.  Awesome, I get to go ahead with that colour scheme!
Thanks again to all for the images !

Greg

Taiidantomcat

Yep he is right...that book is not exactly accurate in fact if you look in the lower right corner the caption is talking about Uh-1Bs! :blink: The Greenhouse windows (the ones up top above the cockpit) are replacements which is why their edges are white. Must not have been to the paint shop yet, and thats how they arrive from the factory... I know that because my boss flew threw a hail storm in the Huey we have at work :banghead:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Scooterman

I'm a bit of a Huey nut but I've NEVER seen SEA USAF UH-1Ns.  Thanks for posting that Taiidantomcat.  That must be modeled someday.

cthulhu77

Even though it will be a real world build, I'll probably post some images so I can get cool information like this as it progresses. Feel free to chime in if I screw something up !

GTX

Maybe a Russian/Chinese scheme?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

cthulhu77

Just about wrapped up with the interior:

ysi_maniac

Looks great bttb.

About camo ... I love SEA :wub: :wub:
Will die without understanding this world.

cthulhu77

It is ready for the paint booth right now, hopefully, will have it all wrapped up by tomorrow.  Jeez, lots of masking!

Taiidantomcat

That patch on tail fin is just a standard Tactical Air Command badge, should be able to find it in a lot of spare USAF decal sheets. My dad said that around 1982 they went to the euro 1 scheme, and all the lettering remained along with the patches albeit in black. (just FYI) I'm really excited to see this one done dude!! Interior looks great  :thumbsup:

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

cthulhu77

I remember we would paint the outlines with rattlecans, and then fill in the middle with a HVLP, so I decided to do the same thing with the model (albeit using an airbrush) ...dark around the edges, and then filling in the panels lightly. I like the weathered look that it gives, maybe a ship after a few rainshowers or two ( a common thing in Panama !). Weathering will be done with brush and pastels to further the effect:

Mossie

Greg, you seem to be cracking on so it's probably too late but I've found pics of a similarly camo'd UH-1P on the USAF Museum site.  Different model & markings but the pattern seems the same & there are views from each side.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet_media.asp?fsID=308

Keep going, like the look of this one!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

cthulhu77

Nice!  Thanks for the reference photos...yep, I love that SEA camo too.

cthulhu77

Well, I am still searching about for some numbers (an excuse to hit the hobby store tomorrow?), but the kit is fairly well completed:

Taiidantomcat