Red Dawn remake in the works

Started by Matt Wiser, September 24, 2008, 12:47:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Wiser

There was a thread a while back about whiffing possiblities from the '80s movie Red Dawn, so be warned: it's coming back. MGM has a remake in the works. No idea as to if it's an alternate TL set in the 1980s, or if it's been updated as if the Cold War didn't end, or a new enemy altogether. It's being talked about on alternatehistory.com's forum.
Treat everyone you meet with kindness and respect; but always have a plan to kill them.

Old USMC adage

retro_seventies

I don't know if I'm excited or dreading this...

As it is, Red Dawn has become a wonderfully cliched and kitsch piece of period storytelling/cold war propaganda (just like Rocky IV, Rambo III, Top Gun, Iron Eagle).  Would it work if remade now?  I'm thinking no...no matter who the "bad guys" are. I'll just be happy if they can get all the right equipment together - i could do without Phantoms, Tigersharks, Pumas and S-58's pretending to be something that they aren't no matter HOW entertaining it might be.
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Madoc

R7,

"Red Dawn" is very much a period piece.  The movie only worked due to the times it was made in.  Even if the new version takes the time within the movie to explain the 80's fears of Soviet aggression that still wouldn't cut it as that would be like having to explain the punchline in a joke in order for folk to know when to laugh.

No, from the sound of it this seems yet another example of just how dried up the "creative juices" have become in Hollywoodland.

Madoc
Wherever you go, there you are!

madcatter

I agree entirely but I'd be stoked to see it just the same, regardless of the scenario or my mood at the end credits.  I got a kick out of the Terminator dogfight in 'Stealth' and the little Berkut screen time on the last episode of Dogfights.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of the latest and greatest in the Russian arsenal trodding across Colorado whether in Russian colors or not.  Perhaps the writers should do a little research here first, you know to get the creative juices flowing!
-N8

jcf

This time around the Red's will no doubt be marching to the strains of 'The East is Red' rather than the 'Internationale'.

;D

Jon

AeroplaneDriver

I kinda like Red Dawn, but the thoughts of a remake make me shudder.  Are they really that short of original ideas??  RD really is a product of its time, and would be awfully hard to remake in today's world.  On the other hand if Mr. Putin has his way...well maybe a remake in 2020 might not be so absurd...  :o
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

sotoolslinger

Well I am torn. The original was both well done and absurdly implausible. The director and the actors were great .I don't see anyone on todays scene that could properly duplicate it :blink:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Matt Wiser

I'm kind of two minds on this: I like the original, and I don't think that anyone other than John Milius should do a remake. But there's footage shot for the original that was shown in the trailer, but not included in the final cut, so perhaps a director's cut should be put out on DVD first. THAT would be worth seeing. 
Treat everyone you meet with kindness and respect; but always have a plan to kill them.

Old USMC adage

Taiidantomcat

Fun Fact, the original was shot in little Las Vegas New Mexico which still wears some "callumet" signs and other paraphernalia. Milius made a movie that was a little unique...it emphasized fighting for freedom but the massive toll that takes as well. not many war movies have that sort of balance and go with a "why? oh why?"  philosophy...which brings me to my next point...if a director who falls a little more to the left (most of hollywood) gets a hold of it. just how many iraq references can be thrown in? recent hollywood remakes have SUCKED to high heaven. the original, though not plausable and relatively corny nowadays will probably be better.
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

sotoolslinger

Actually the remake has already been done( now that I think about it) The really implausible part of the original was getting the invading troops over here on airliners an airdropping them in. The remake I speak of was the series" Jericho "  by CBS
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

GTX

Quote from: sotoolslinger on September 28, 2008, 08:24:59 PM
Actually the remake has already been done( now that I think about it) The really implausible part of the original was getting the invading troops over here on airliners an airdropping them in. The remake I speak of was the series" Jericho "  by CBS

did that ever finish or was it another casuality of the writers strike?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

jcf

Quote from: GTX on September 30, 2008, 02:36:52 AM
Quote from: sotoolslinger on September 28, 2008, 08:24:59 PM

did that ever finish or was it another casuality of the writers strike?

Regards,

Greg

It was a casualty of poor ratings, after the fan protest the show was revived for a stripped down 12 episode second 'season' that tied up the basic threads.

The writing and directing on the stripped down 12 episode run was improved over the first full season, so they went out looking pretty good.

Jon

Just call me Ray

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on September 28, 2008, 07:34:48 PM
philosophy...which brings me to my next point...if a director who falls a little more to the left (most of hollywood) gets a hold of it. just how many iraq references can be thrown in?

You know, call me crazy but I think this may be the ulterior motive behind the remake. What better way to showcase your "views" but with an "icon" of "red-neck right-wing xenophobic jingoists?"

Wow, lots of quotes there.
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

uk 75

Now is the chance for the British film industry to get its own back with a
British re-make changing all the US cliches to British ones and casting
suitable British stars in place of the American ones.

Blue Dawn

A country house in southern England.  Hugh Grant and Keira Knightley
are playing croquet on the lawn.

A nearby town centre, the usual merry early evening crowd and their
friends from the local county police are gathering in front of Wetherspoons etc

The sky is filled with sound of jet engines.  Large ugly Airbus A380s with
European Flag markings and slogans in French and German begin to
discharge garlic sausage chewing mercenaries...

At this point I woke up and realised I had turned on the Tory Party conference
instead of Murder She Wrote and went back to sleep

UK 75

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: Just call me Ray on September 30, 2008, 11:10:04 AM
Quote from: Taiidantomcat on September 28, 2008, 07:34:48 PM
philosophy...which brings me to my next point...if a director who falls a little more to the left (most of hollywood) gets a hold of it. just how many iraq references can be thrown in?

You know, call me crazy but I think this may be the ulterior motive behind the remake. What better way to showcase your "views" but with an "icon" of "red-neck right-wing xenophobic jingoists?"

Wow, lots of quotes there.

And they will show it with all the subtlety of an elephant raping a rhino. I understand different people have different views, but please hollywood...tell your story well. You are movie makers not politicians, climb of the soap box and make a decent movie.
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.