C-141 Star Lifter

Started by kitnut617, September 26, 2008, 08:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Oh yes, I recall you asking that on your own thread.

I don't know of any probe and drogue tankers in 1/200 sadly.

I found I've got a vacform C-141B in The Loft, and it's 1/72. It's MASSIVE!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

The sole civil Starlifter visiting Australia in both its original markings and in NASA livery.

http://www.lockheed.adastron.com/oddities/starlifter.htm

PR19_Kit

Cor, I didn't know there were any civvie -141s. It looks pretty smart too.

I recall DrawDecals did a sheet of one in FedEx at one time, and that looked great.

I ought to build mine at some stage, it's pretty impressive as a model.

The NASA scheme looks REALLY good too!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Very nice ! Looks good in both schemes, neither of which I've seen before. Cheers !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

Wow, someone needs to do decals for that.  :wub:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

sandiego89

If you are ever in the mid-Atlantic area of the United States, the Air Mobility Command Museum at Dover Air Force Base is a great way to see a great array of "trash haulers". They have the first C-141, one of only 4 that did not get the stretch and a C-141B that is open every day for walking around in. Also the C-5 and lots of others.

Need more Whif Starlifters on here Hmmm maybe a KC, Launcher, other users, or other derivatives....
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kitnut617

I had this idea of 'what-If' Boeing won the contest. I've match up the 'A' with a C-135 fuselage and it's about the same length and shape, I'm thinking of switching the C-135 wing to the top of the C-135 fuselage but have it in anhedral, and then use the engine nacelles of the 'A'.  It's a work in progress sort of thing with no rush to it so who knows when it'll get done   ;D
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Aren't the engines of the C-141B the same as the As?

IIRC they're both TF33P-7s, military versions of the JT3-D7s that the DC8-63s had.

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Combat Models (USA) does both variants in 1/72 vacuform and I have both of them. And the nacelles look identical Kit.

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 25, 2019, 02:45:57 PM

IIRC they're both TF33P-7s, military versions of the JT3-D7s that the DC8-63s had.

Same engines on all Star Lifter versions, but I think Kitnut was just saying he was musing a build with the C-135 wings and the C-141 engines.

I am surprised by the wide array of nacelles that the TF-33 and JT3-D's used between the 707, DC-8, C-141, B-52 and KC/C/E/RC-135 etc. As I became painfully aware from my recent B-47 WHIF, Some had straight nacelles, some cut just aft of the compressor section etc.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kitnut617

Quote from: sandiego89 on December 26, 2019, 02:40:35 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 25, 2019, 02:45:57 PM

Same engines on all Star Lifter versions, but I think Kitnut was just saying he was musing a build with the C-135 wings and the C-141 engines.

I was thinking of using the C-135 fuselage too --

PR19_Kit

I am surprised by the wide array of nacelles that the TF-33 and JT3-D's used between the 707, DC-8, C-141, B-52 and KC/C/E/RC-135 etc. As I became painfully aware from my recent B-47 WHIF, Some had straight nacelles, some cut just aft of the compressor section etc.

Indeed so, all the colours in all the sizes.  :o

My faves are the -7s that the DC8-62/63s use, very similar to the nacelles on the C-141.

The airliner people call them 'Tube engines' to distinguish from the earlier 'Side Exhaust' engines on the DC8-50 series.

Regards
Kit

kerick

In 1974 USAF tested a C-5 launching a Minuteman missile by dropping it out the back ramp. What about whiffing a C-141 launching something like a Poseidon or Pershing missile.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 26, 2019, 07:31:10 PM

Indeed so, all the colours in all the sizes.  :o

My faves are the -7s that the DC8-62/63s use, very similar to the nacelles on the C-141.

The airliner people call them 'Tube engines' to distinguish from the earlier 'Side Exhaust' engines on the DC8-50 series.

In my latest Air-Britain Aviation World (winter 2019) there's an article about the Xian Y-20. The nacelles they're using on it at the moment look very similar to the C-141 nacelles. But they're actually copies of the nacelles which are on the Il-76.

PR19_Kit

Indeed! I noticed the similarity of the Il-76 nacelles to the 'Tube Engines' when one came to RIAT some years ago.

Of course they were totally independently designed and manufactured by Soloviev.......................  :-\

The Wiki page on the Soloviev engine says '.....and had specifications similar to those of Western analogues such as Pratt & Whitney JT8D....'

Pratt & Whitney must have copied Soloviev's design I'm sure.............  ;D

Regards
Kit