C-141 Star Lifter

Started by kitnut617, September 26, 2008, 08:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 27, 2019, 06:34:03 AM

Pratt & Whitney must have copied Soloviev's design I'm sure.............  ;D

Of course they did  ;)   even though the C-141 went into service in 1965 and Il-76 in 1974    :angel:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

jcf

Indeed! I noticed the similarity of the Il-76 nacelles to the 'Tube Engines' when one came to RIAT some years ago.

Of course they were totally independently designed and manufactured by Soloviev.......................  :-\

The Wiki page on the Soloviev engine says '.....and had specifications similar to those of Western analogues such as Pratt & Whitney JT8D....'

Meh, analogue/analog simply means comparable in that context.

Nacelle appearance similarities are largely meaningless as nacelle =/= to engine.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on December 27, 2019, 10:46:05 AM
Indeed! I noticed the similarity of the Il-76 nacelles to the 'Tube Engines' when one came to RIAT some years ago.

Of course they were totally independently designed and manufactured by Soloviev.......................  :-\

The Wiki page on the Soloviev engine says '.....and had specifications similar to those of Western analogues such as Pratt & Whitney JT8D....'

Meh, analogue/analog simply means comparable in that context.

Nacelle appearance similarities are largely meaningless as nacelle =/= to engine.

Mandy Rice-Davis...............

"Well they would say that, wouldn't they?"
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

I wonder if noise reduction had anything to do with the varying nacelles on the TF-33 and JT3-D family?  or was it efficiency?

The early 707's and KC-135's were notorious as being loud (I have a very clear memory of being close to a early KC-135 on a (water injection?) takeoff and it was a very moving, bone shaking, crackling experience).  The slightly later B-52H had the "cut" nacelles and would not be worried about decibels, but the next in line the C-141 was required to be civilly certified in the hopes of some commercial sales that never quite happened.   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 27, 2019, 11:25:48 AM

Mandy Rice-Davis...............

"Well they would say that, wouldn't they?"

Looking forward to seeing what the Beeb do with the tale
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I dug my Nova kit of the C-141B out of The Loft last night, as it's been decades since I saw it last. To my amazement it has metal landing gear.  :thumbsup:

And jeepers, it's a big 'ole thing for sure! Makes a Herc look like a Skyvan!  :o

I'm a bit flummoxed when it comes to figuring out how to Whiff it though, and painting it in an RAF scheme would be a tad hackneyed.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 28, 2019, 04:08:32 AM
...I'm a bit flummoxed when it comes to figuring out how to Whiff it though, and painting it in an RAF scheme would be a tad hackneyed.

Civilian cargo airline?
Australia Post?
zenrat industries?
;)
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

scooter

Quote from: zenrat on December 28, 2019, 04:31:12 AM
...I'm a bit flummoxed when it comes to figuring out how to Whiff it though, and painting it in an RAF scheme would be a tad hackneyed.

Civilian cargo airline?
Australia Post?
zenrat industries?
;)

:wacko:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kitnut617

I dug my Nova kit of the C-141B out of The Loft last night, as it's been decades since I saw it last. To my amazement it has metal landing gear.  :thumbsup:

And jeepers, it's a big 'ole thing for sure! Makes a Herc look like a Skyvan!  :o

I'm a bit flummoxed when it comes to figuring out how to Whiff it though, and painting it in an RAF scheme would be a tad hackneyed.

That is a very rare kit Kit, all the Nova moulds were obtained by Rick's Models but were destroyed in an accident during a move in 1989
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

JayBee

Tactical transport, Israeli AF, camo.
Or
Very high altitude stellar observatory with extended wings so it could go even higher.  :wacko: :rolleyes: NASA of course!
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 28, 2019, 06:46:26 AM

That is a very rare kit Kit, all the Nova moulds were obtained by Rick's Models but were destroyed in an accident during a move in 1989

Really? Wow!

I better take some moulds from it then, when I opened the box it was the first time it had EVER been opened, it still had the original Scotch tape on the ends!   :o

Regards
Kit

jcf

Stretched fuselage double-decker airliner.  :wacko:
Along the lines of the proposed, but never built, conversion
of the An-22. I've got a drawing of it somewhere.

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

Dizzyfugu

Does anyone have/know a sketch where the fuselage plugs for the A-to-B conversion were inserted?

NARSES2

I wasn't even aware Nova had done a kit of it.

Anyway how about doing it as a Fleet Air Arm bird, serving in support of the Nuclear Deterrent ? Could be ferrying bits and pieces, and personnel to far flung Polaris sub bases ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.