C-141 Star Lifter

Started by kitnut617, September 26, 2008, 08:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 29, 2019, 05:43:47 AM

I wasn't even aware Nova had done a kit of it.

Chris, way back in 1975 a fellow called Bob Archer formed a company called Nova Models and sold the vacuform kits through his hobby shop in California. He didn't produce very many, the C-141 was done in the A and B. A company called Robert's Models bought all the moulds from Bob in 1987.
What's interesting is, the name Robert's Models rang a bell, so I've done some digging --- and it turns out Jeff Roberts (Robert's Models) bought all the Combat Models moulds too when John Rucks suddenly died around 2000.  Now Jeff has a second set of C-141 moulds, the Combat Models sets. It's where I got my A and B from.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on December 29, 2019, 03:36:49 AM

Does anyone have/know a sketch where the fuselage plugs for the A-to-B conversion were inserted?

Yes, there's a pic included with the Nova kit that shows you.  ;D

I'll scan it and post it back on here.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 29, 2019, 06:42:16 AM

Now Jeff has a second set of C-141 moulds, the Combat Models sets. It's where I got my A and B from.

How do the two kits compare Robert?

Looks like I better post pics of mine in case it's the ONLY one left!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 29, 2019, 09:43:11 AM

Now Jeff has a second set of C-141 moulds, the Combat Models sets. It's where I got my A and B from.

How do the two kits compare Robert?

Looks like I better post pics of mine in case it's the ONLY one left!  :o

I've never seen a Nova Models C-141 Kit, if you post pics of the one you have I'll hook out the Combat Models ones I have and post pics of those.  It would be interesting if the two are the same wouldn't it.  Mind you, I wouldn't mind borrowing the undercarriage set you have though, I'd like to make a couple of sets for myself ----

kitnut617

Anigrand does both variants in 1/72 too -----

jcf

C-141 Lockheed documents link, 5 files:
https://c141heaven.info/dotcom/lockheed/476l.php

Vol. 2 includes a drawing of a GE MF239 C-3, aft-fan engine installation.  :thumbsup:

Lots of fun stuff to root through.  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Here you go, where they stretched them.

It looks as if the two sections were added right under the wing fairings, which won't make life easy for us Whiffers, but then we're an inventive lot, aren't we?  ;D

I'll find somewhere in the house big enough to take all the vacform sheets in a while, probably next year........... ;)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Woweee, I did download that Vol 2 of the proposal that JCF linked, and it's truly fascinating.

I didn't know that the fuselage of the C-141 was the identical cross section of the Herc, but it's logical when you look at it.

And even Lockheed Whiffed it! How about this for a 'high cost, high risk' proposal to produce the best possible airlifter, just about the ONLY thing in common with the C-141 as built is the cockpit!

Much though I'd like to, I don't think I'll be whiffing my Nova kit into THAT!  :o

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 29, 2019, 05:43:47 AM

I wasn't even aware Nova had done a kit of it.

Chris, way back in 1975 a fellow called Bob Archer formed a company called Nova Models and sold the vacuform kits through his hobby shop in California. He didn't produce very many, the C-141 was done in the A and B. A company called Robert's Models bought all the moulds from Bob in 1987.
What's interesting is, the name Robert's Models rang a bell, so I've done some digging --- and it turns out Jeff Roberts (Robert's Models) bought all the Combat Models moulds too when John Rucks suddenly died around 2000.  Now Jeff has a second set of C-141 moulds, the Combat Models sets. It's where I got my A and B from.

Cheers mate  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Oh yes, in that Vol 2 there's mention of the C-141 carrying auxiliary fuel tanks under the wings INBOARD of the inner engines!  :o

Regards
Kit

jcf

Here's the An-22 drawing I referenced earlier regarding an airliner Lockheed L-300/C-141.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 29, 2019, 09:41:44 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on December 29, 2019, 03:36:49 AM

Does anyone have/know a sketch where the fuselage plugs for the A-to-B conversion were inserted?

Yes, there's a pic included with the Nova kit that shows you.  ;D

I'll scan it and post it back on here.

That's great, thanks a lot, Kit! I have been thinking about a civilian StarLifter, and consider the conversion of a Roden 1:144 C-141B into a shorter A (due to loacl space/strorage reasons...). I frequently find the hint that a 7.11m plug was inserted, but no info where.

Another weird detail I came across: there were apparently plans for a civilian "Super Starlifter" with an 11m(!) plug inserted. The C-141B is not the most elegant design, but with 4m more fuselage?  :-\

PR19_Kit

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on December 30, 2019, 10:07:12 PM

724 pax? That even beats an A-380!  :o

A pity they didn't build it, the standard An-22 looks wonderful but that monster would look AWESOME!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on December 31, 2019, 03:12:13 AM

Another weird detail I came across: there were apparently plans for a civilian "Super Starlifter" with an 11m(!) plug inserted. The C-141B is not the most elegant design, but with 4m more fuselage?  :-\

That would look awesome  too, but I can't help wondering if it would rotate enough to actually take-off.  :-\

The plug would have to be at the front to do that I reckon.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

This whole Starlifter thread is gaining momentum, it can't be long before one of us puts scalpel to styrene and actually builds one!  ;D

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

I built half of one last year (for the Jet Belfast), my main takeaways from that were:

- the C-141 is about as long as the Belfast
- but the Belfast has a much wider fuselage