Getting Agressive - The Aggressor and Adversary Group Build

Started by nev, September 27, 2008, 07:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

This was talked about in this thread

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,20083.0/highlight,aggressor.html

but AFAIK, it was never formally proposed in here.  So here I am  :thumbsup:

Ian first mentioned it, so I nominate him to be co-mod with me (if approved by the masses)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Taiidantomcat

Plus one vote here  :thumbsup:have a bunch of Tomcat ideas, in cool "what-if" aggressor schemes that haven't been done on a Tomcat.
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Mossie

Aggressor GB.  Lots of interesting schemes available & you can invent your own too.  Basically, anything that comes under DACT.  US, Canadian & Japanese aggressor aircraft are the most obvious, but what if other countries went the full monty with schemes?  You don't have to of course, many nations simply make do with a splash of colour on the fin or wings to differentiate themselves as 'enemies', that's fine too.  Some air forces, such as the RAF, have been known to use special or experimental schemes when participating in exercises.

Conversions are possible too, there have been many attempts to convert other helicopters to look like Hinds, what about other aircraft?  The USN uses paint tricks to simulate other aircraft & has even gone as far as painting a full silhouette of a MiG-19 onto an A-4.

Why leave it to aircraft?  Ships can be painted up to represent those of an enemy, even mocked up weapons to better represent what you're fighting against.  Tanks too, enemy paint schemes, with a re-jigged turret so it looks like something else?

How about it???

Simon.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Inspiration!  Fell free to add your own pics as always.

USN Aggressor F-14

USN Aggressor F-5's

Aggressor Huey

F-16 Arctic Aggressor

Luftwaffe F-4 Phantoms on exercise, minimalist Aggressor markings

JASDF F-15 Aggressor

It's not a new thing either, Spitfire with white 'enemy' identity stripe during 'Exercise Spartan' in 1943, a major allied exercise leading up to D-Day.  Other aircraft involved such as Typhoon's were similarily marked.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Taiidantomcat

I love this idea  :thumbsup: Gets my vote. cool spitfire, learn something new everyday  :cheers:

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

TsrJoe

id be up for building something for this too, an excuse to model that 'blackwashed' Finnish Hornet seen in an Ilmavoimat promotional clip (theres also a John Lacey profile of same showing how neat it looks too!)

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,18207.msg304969/highlight,aggressor.html#msg304969

there were also numerous 'wargames' markings applied throughout the aviation period, pre, wartime and postwar types all being marked up as 'aggressor' types, i recall there being some pretty colouful examples too prior to dedicated acm training squadrons, hmm, just a thought, theres a PR.19 Spitfire that fit with this theme too!

cheers, joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Gondor

Love the JASDF F-15 Aggressor scheme, just don't fancy painting it though  :blink:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Mossie

Two Bobs do some 1/48 & 1/32 sets for JASDF Aggressors.  The stencils are masked off on the real aircraft giving that splinter effect.  The Two Bobs decals have the grey surrounds so you don't have to paint them.  I'm not sure where to source 1/72 decals from, I think Hasegawa might have done a kit in a JASDF Agressor scheme but I'm not certain.

philp

If I ever get my hands on a Revell 72nd F-22 will be doing the Arctic Agressor.  Already have the decals.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

GTX

How about some Soviet Aggressors - e.g. MiG-21 painted to look like a EE Lightning or Su-27 to look like a F-14?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: GTX on June 24, 2010, 11:35:10 AM
How about some Soviet Aggressors - e.g. MiG-21 painted to look like a EE Lightning or Su-27 to look like a F-14?

Regards,

Greg

I was thinking the same thing... need to find stuff that isn't too gray though... shouldn't be a problem for the above examples though.  :ph34r:

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: GTX on June 24, 2010, 11:35:10 AM
<...> MiG-21 painted to look like a EE Lightning  <...>

Splendid idea! :thumbsup: Will need grey triangles on and under the wings to give the MiG's delta wings that distinctive Lightning look. Sort of like the A-4-turned-MiG-17 - only reversed. :lol:

Regarding Soviet Aggressors, here are three I found on ARC.

First two by "Trigger" (CLICK!):

MiG-29 posing as F-16

MiG-29 posing as an F/A-18:

And this one by Oroka (CLICKY!), a Su-27 trying to pass for an F-15 (the star on the inside of the vertical stabs is a stroke of genius!):

-----------------

And then there's THIS SITE from Hungary which has a couple of Soviet Fishbeds painted to resemble planes from Pakistan, the US, France, Israel....
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

dragon

Right now I am working on a follow up on my SU-47MKV Caiman.  It has the fuselage of an SU-35 and partial SU-47 wings.  I am leaning to giving it a Flankerized version of the Alaska Air National Guard F-16 Aggressor scheme.  Part of the premise is that this SU-49MK whatever-the-russian-word-is-for-vulture is the reason for that scheme.  Looks okay so far, but it will look a lot more interesting when armed with both NATO and Eastern Bloc armament.....
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Mossie

The objective is sometimes not to simulate a specific enemy, but just to make your aircraft different enough to identify it as an aggressor, like the Luftwaffe Phantoms & Spitfire above.  The Indian Air Force takes this to extremes, with the tail or portions of the airframe painted in bright patterns of stripes, dots, stars etc, not unlike USAAF Formation birds.

There are plenty of profiles on Wings Palette showing similar markings, have a browse through the pages:
MiG-21: http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww3/f/14/72/0
MiG-29: http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww4/f/39/72/0

MiG-29's with brightly painted tails

MiG-21 preserved with pink Aggressor markings (take note Rad!)

Daryl J.

Y'know, the Sopwith Pup on floats in blue lozenge could theoretically play the part of a Hansa Brandenburg W-29 couldn't it.   :wub: :wub: :wub:

Daryl J.