Japanese Heinkel/Aichi-119 Torpedo Bomber

Started by sequoiaranger, September 30, 2008, 04:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

What a treat to see an update to this wonderful project, SR! The squadron emblem really looks right and I'm enjoying watching this one come along.
:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

sequoiaranger

WHAT A HASSLE putting the clear nose on and keeping the propshaft from seizing up or falling back into the model (where it would be hopelessly lost and rattle around!). I had to physically hold the whole assembly still while some RC-57 white glue dried, all the while keeping push-pull tension on the nose piece and push tension on the clear nose part. I ended up putting a teensy-weensy (translation---small) drop of Super-Glue in a risky place to steady everything. It worked!!! It's a little ugly right now, but I'll clean it all up when everything sets and get it ready to paint. There is a local contest June 6th that I am shooting for (I'll probably be a judge there, as well) to have the Aichi 119 ready for, but it will be a close call. Too many setbacks.

I put the prop/spinner on temporarily, and temporarily attached the Fliegenfische, too, for a model meeting tomorrow. It's still a W-I-P, but it looks so cool with that big prop up front!

Pics maybe tomorrow.

Thanks, BdB for the encouragement. I was losing heart with all the complexities.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

sequoiaranger

Here is a close-up of the nose. It needs work, but I am proud to have achieved the engineering that got me this far.

Then, here is the "look" of the beast, still raw. It resembles a He-70 on steroids! I fully realize that the clean lines of the original have been uglified, but the dorsal "hump" is certainly no more extrusive than the chin radiator setup (see sepia-toned pic a few posts back), and the sleek, "racer" of 1937 would obviously need some practical additions or changes to become an effective operational bomber. The aftermarket flattened wheels (actually for a 1/48 P-51) seem TOO flat--if I were the chief mechanic I would have them pumped up a little! It has wonderfully free prop-spinning, but the temporary attachment still wobbles---that will be rectified by completion. Landing gear doors, tailhook, X-Gerat, DF loop, radio mast, rigging, wing guns, and rear guns and gunner need to go on, then masking applied and PAINT (!) will come soon.

sequoiaranger

Here is what it would look like carrying a standard torpedo. OK, so it's a DOCTORED picture. As the Japanese might say, "Sosumi!"

No time to work on the model today--social engagements. But soon...!

Brian da Basher

I really like the look of this bird, SR! The radiator on top fools they eye into thinking the cockpit is there until you notice the clear nose. Absolutely whiff-tastic!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

John Howling Mouse

This is wildly amazing and courageous.  The nice thing about this site is that sharing some of the dilemmas involved with such a build truly resonates with other Whiffers who strive to produce similar results out of our wild imaginations.  Keep up the good work.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

sequoiaranger

Here is a nicely-painted RLM Hellblau 65 Aichi 119 attacked by strange orange worm-beings! It's the "FunTack" method of overpainting and revealing that I first saw used by Sotoolslinger and others. I'm giving it a try for the first time. I will over-spray some RLM Grau 02 and a personal concoction of "Turkisgrun" and the result will be a "sea" camo like an ocean with white-caps and rills of foam. We'll see!

Or maybe I should just leave it thse colors?

sequoiaranger

Here is the "completed" FunTack camo scheme. The amount of Hellblau on the tail and sides is appropriate (and the middle of the tail will have a huge red/white/black horizontal swath anyway), though I am a little shocked/disappointed that the seemingly SKINNY little shards of funtack I put on the wings, etc, stand out so much. I was hoping for a more subtle disruptive effect. I supposed I *COULD* overspray the Hellblau to soften the effect a little, but that might be irreversible if I make ANY mistakes. I still like it though! Considering that I will soon put on bright orange-yellow wing ID bars, red meatballs, and the pre-war type of tail marking, "subtle" is going to be thrown out the window anyway.

P.S.--The ball of orange/green is used funtack.

Logan Hartke

Has almost an Il-2m3 look to it in that shot.

Logan

Brian da Basher

That's one smokin' camo scheme, SR! You're quite the artiste!
:bow:
Brian da Basher

sequoiaranger

>Has almost an Il-2m3 look to it in that shot.<

Yes, it does, with that slightly swept-back wing. The Aichi/Heinkel 119 is a quite a bit larger, however, about 3/4 the size of a Heinkel He-111.

>That's one smokin' camo scheme, SR! <

Well, considering what I was smoking when I painted it.....!   ;D 

P.S.---I have the propellers in a box, labeled, and ready to send, BdB.

I won't "waste" a picture here, but I went ahead and toned down the "bright" Helblau with a light overspray of the two darker colors--me like-um better.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

jcf

That's crazy Craig.
One can certainly see the He 70 influence on the Gunter Bros later designs.

Jon

sequoiaranger

(Sigh) I had worked feverishly on this project in order to ready it for Saturday's San Diego Regional IPMS contest and model swap meet. Setback after setback later, I concede it can't QUITE be done. Hoover! Grand Coulee! Auburn! (three large dams!)

Anyway, here is the progress: I toned down the overly bright disruptions, added the Slovakian-esque (especially on the bottom, where the black center cross still exists) German Pacific markings, the squadron badge, the small American stars (kills from shooting down B-24/flyingboat snoopers over the Marshalls), and (too hard to see here) wing-gun markers made from 1/32 scale Japanese center-of-gravity markers looking like giant gunsights. I tried to short-cut masking the yellow wing bars and spray-painting them by using decals, but the decals I used not only are too thin, showing through the paint underneath too much, but also broke apart in many places (GRRRR!). Now that I have the time to mull over things, instead of a headlong rush to complete, I may have to mask-and-paint after all.

Ed S

It's looking good.  The problems you have really aren't noticable.  I like the way the camo blends into the background.
:thumbsup:
Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.