Bren Carrier Whifs?

Started by Weaver, October 02, 2008, 07:23:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sauragnmon

17pdr on a Bren... the gun would be damn bigger than the bloody carrier!  I think the smallest unit they mounted the might 17pdr on was the Archer, and even That was a squeeze fit, even if it did work out for shoot and scoot tactics.

Nice work with the PAK on the Bren carrier mod, Panzerwulf.  I'm pretty sure that's a PAK anyways, 5cm?

3" gun would be about the same problem, since that's the bore of the 17pdr.  I don't know about the 6pdr, but I wonder if some of the lighter Pack Howitzers might not look interesting mounted on the UC, as a mini-assault gun concept.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

dy031101

Quote from: Sauragnmon on October 03, 2008, 02:46:01 PM
I don't know about the 6pdr, but I wonder if some of the lighter Pack Howitzers might not look interesting mounted on the UC, as a mini-assault gun concept.

Would everything that can be mounted on Stuart tank chassis be okay (I was looking at 105mm M3 light howitzer when typing this question......)?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Arc3371

Quote from: dy031101 on October 03, 2008, 01:00:06 PM

The same source seems to claim also that Belgians made a 90mm SPG out of it though......

PS: Did a quick google...... almost no mention of the Belgian mod except one that says the gun is a recoiless rifle......

It was a 90mm MECAR gun

Arc3371

Quote from: dy031101 on October 03, 2008, 07:29:36 PM
I don't know about the 6pdr, but I wonder if some of the lighter Pack Howitzers might not look interesting mounted on the UC, as a mini-assault gun concept.

Would everything that can be mounted on Stuart tank chassis be okay (I was looking at 105mm M3 light howitzer when typing this question......)?

The yugoslavs mounted PAK 40 on the Stuart ( as well as Flak vierlings and 120mm mortars)

Sauragnmon

Now THAT would look cool... a UC with a Flakvierling on it.  Damn, that's a wicked thought... too bad I'd have to upscale to get it.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

PanzerWulff

Nice work with the PAK on the Bren carrier mod, Panzerwulf.  I'm pretty sure that's a PAK anyways, 5cm?
Thanks Sauragnmon the gun is a 7.5cm PAK 40 left over from a dragon SdKfz 251 Halftrak I built a while ago.I'm replacing the bow mounted bren with either a MG 38 or MG 42 and i have a few spare crew figures from various german armor kits,and will have an Anh-42 amunition trailer pulled behind it.So far the project is being called the "Pocket Marder"
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

Sauragnmon

That's pretty damn cool.  MG-42 would be more fitting than the 34 one might think.  Pocket Marder. Nice choice in name.

MAD

Has anyone got a good side-view line drawing of the Bren Carrier???

M.A.D

Doc Yo

Quote from: dy031101 on October 02, 2008, 07:39:30 PM
Quote from: Doc Yo on October 02, 2008, 02:12:31 PM
Other carrier oddities included one with a Smith gun ( a black
powder smmoth bore [3 inch, I think], a PIAT battery ( something like a dozen of the things all rigged to go off at
once ) and something called the Praying Mantis, which had an odd crane-like contraption to raise a machine gun
and its operator, over hedges for firing.

Off-topic, but what's the effective range of the Smith Gun?  How accurate is it?

Apologies for the delay in responding-I couldn't find my copy of Hogg's The Guns 1939-1945 ( which has
a good chapter on a some of the Home Guard wepons like the Smith Gun ) and so must fall back on oft
maligned Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_Gun

I couldn't find anything on the gun's range in this entry or the single link at the bottom of the article ( though
the latter has a slightly better picture. ) though I suspect it was fairly short. It was certainly a novel weapon.
Incidently, the Wiki article on the Home Guard links to articles on other HG weapons like the Northover projector
and the Blacker Bombard ( a spigot mortar that actually saw some service, at least in North Africa )

Weaver

Quote from: The Wooksta! on October 08, 2008, 01:40:33 PM
I quite like the idea of a Bren carrier with light sloped armour and a 20mm Hispano cannon in a flexible mounting.  Good for street clearances...

Wasn't there a Polish Tankette that was essentially that?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

jcf

Quote from: The Wooksta! on October 10, 2008, 07:14:39 AM
Possibly but weren't most of them built by Vickers anyway?
The TK series were built in Poland and were developed from the Carden-Lloyd designs licensed from Vickers.
The Carden-Loyd vehicles are quite different from the Carriers.

http://derela.republika.pl/tk.htm

Jon

Logan Hartke

NARSES2

Agricultural Brens anyone ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DarrenP2

75mm Pack howitizer mounted on it

cezch or french 47mm Anti tank gun tank hunter

JayBee

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 20, 2016, 07:42:32 AM
Agricultural Brens anyone ?

I thought "Brilliant idea" but then I realised that you meant the vehicle and not the gun itself.
In my head the idea was, say a helicopter, fitted with Bren guns that have been modified to take clips not of bullets but SEEDS.
Imagine flying along a field firing in rows of seeds, fantastic. The process of seeding would be done so much faster than the conventional method.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!