Main Menu

RAN FAA Museum

Started by GTX, October 03, 2008, 11:56:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maverick

UK.

Thanks for that info.

I find it odd that someone restoring/flying a Firefly would have such an odd choice of markings however.  Whilst attrition replacements were, it seems, marked in odd ways, it seems unusual for the owner to have their aircraft so marked.  Furthermore, their suggestion that the aircraft is an AS.6 seems at odds again with their choice of a Korean War vintage aircraft.

Regards,

Mav

unlikeKansas

Mav,

I agree regarding the AS6. I would have thought that they would replace like for like. I.E. if the RAN lost an FR5 (which they did) then the RN would replace it with an FR5. I suppose there might not have been a replacement FR5 available so they sent an AS6.

Marking up a restored bird in such a schemme does seem most odd, but perhaps the owner is a 1:1 whiffer.

INo trees were harmed in the sending of this message; however, a significant number of electrons were slightly inconvenienced.

unlikeKansas

Just been doing some more research during my lunch break.

I think the picture in question is an AS6 owned in the USA by Captain Eddie Kurdziel.

The actual airframe is WB518. Delivered to King George V Docks, Glasgow, Scotland on 16 October 1950 and was embarked in HMAS SYDNEY Landed at Jervis Bay 07 December 1950 and towed by road to RANAS Nowra. It is known to have been allotted to 817 squadron and in 1952 with 816 Squadron when on 16 September was damaged when landing on board HMAS SYDNEY. It was with 851 squadron as 268/NW Modified as Target Tower by Brain and Brown, Ltd Avalon Victoria and numbered 842/NW. In 1958 it had side number 903/NW and was with 725 Squadron. Struck off Charge on 08 July 1966 and sold to Mr. R. Beltbame - Tender No.12379 for $400.00, PO Box 828, Griffiths NSW where it was mounted on a pole. In 1991 it was brought down from the pole and swapped with Firefly WD828 by Classic Aviation Company, Bankstown NSW. It was sold to Captain Eddie Kurdziel in 1994 who took it to the USA where it was restored to Flying Condition by Ray Middleton?s QA Aviation of North America in Fort Collins, Colorado USA. In 2002 it was successfully flown and attended Oshkosh Airventure Air Show in Wisconsin, USA where it won a swag of prizes for the best restored aircraft.

As it says in the quote from ADF serials it was bought by Eddie Kurdziel in 1994. There is a web site for WB518 (www.faireyfirefly.com) where Eddie describes how he acquired it restored it and his choice of markings:

It now came time for the cosmetics that most people only see. WB518 was one of the first ten MK VI s built but still retains the earlier fuselage of the MK V. The aircraft was originally delivered to 817 Squadron. 817 Squadron then exchanged their aircraft for those of 816 Squadron for duty in Korea. The aircraft has been painted to represent WB377 which was loaned to 817 Squadron aboard HMAS Sydney by the Royal Navy for duty in Korea. The Australians had damaged most of their original aircraft in accidents. WB377 '201' in the commanding officer's colors was no exception being damaged in Typhoon Ruth in October of 1951. I picked the wartime guise of 201 not only for aesthetics, but because I had most of the representative equipment of the period i.e. rocket rails, drop tanks, etc. The Firefly had such a long life it is only possible to 'fix it in time'. Ron Mahle the painter commuted more than twenty times from Minnesota to Colorado to complete the striking scheme. It is original even in the duplication of the luster. Ian Huntley generously provided the finishing info.

So it's an AS6 airframe (WB518) painted to look like an AS5?. for the reasons stated by Mr Kurdziel above.

Here's a picture of the real WB377 courtesy of Air Britain.

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1005800/
INo trees were harmed in the sending of this message; however, a significant number of electrons were slightly inconvenienced.

Maverick

Thanks for the update UK. 

Quite a convoluted story for the poor bird, but at least it's a flying Firefly...

Regards,

Mav

unlikeKansas

GTX

Quote from: Scooterman on October 06, 2008, 05:52:31 AM
Me love some Skyhawks! :wub: :wub: :wub:

I wondered how long that response would take.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Scooterman

sequoiaranger

>I think the picture in question is an AS6 owned in the USA by Captain Eddie Kurdziel. The actual airframe is WB518. <

Yup! That's It!!

The pic I posted here of the Firefly was electronically "reduced" in size, so some detail, especially small print, was too hard to read. When I looked back at my original picture and zoomed in on the Royal Navy serial, it was indeed "WB518". Quite a story--thanks for digging that up. So I guess it has the "right" to wear the colors of HMAS Sydney. It's a beautiful bird, to be sure, and it is FLYING again!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Aussie747

Quote from: GTX on October 06, 2008, 01:00:25 AM

Not to nitpick, but the shots were actually mine ;D

Regards,

Greg

Very Sorry Greg! I got you and Mav mixed up when making the the reply.
Do you get down this way much with work?
Great pictures  :thumbsup:
Ray
Canberra
*-*-*-*-*-*-

In work:
1/72 C-65J
1/72 P-7B
1/144 C-17T

GTX

QuoteDo you get down this way much with work?

Occasionally - my focus has mostly been international though.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!