O

Fire-bomber Jet P-38

Started by Ollie, December 31, 2003, 06:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

Evan - maybe an engineer is like a ref in football - over here we say the refs had a good game if you don't notice him.......

Tophe - great find on the californian fire bomber!  :wub:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Captain Canada

Yeah, all those fire-bombers in western USA and Canada rock !

There's even a tour from Europe that goes around to a bunch of the bases......Martin Mars, Cansos, DC-6, Electras, A-26, CL-215/415, Neptunes, Hercs, Broncos, Trackers.........an enthusiasts dream !

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

elmayerle

QuoteI thought this was a dream... ;)  What if twin-boomers that I love were fighting forest-fires that I hate ?  :D But looking closer, this seems a true story, thanks to the California Department of fire... :wub:
*G* I believe that's the California Department of Forestry.  As I remember, the main commercial airtanker operator is located about 100 miles north-northwest of Sacramento (interviewed there once upon a time).  
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

elmayerle

QuoteYeah, all those fire-bombers in western USA and Canada rock !

There's even a tour from Europe that goes around to a bunch of the bases......Martin Mars, Cansos, DC-6, Electras, A-26, CL-215/415, Neptunes, Hercs, Broncos, Trackers.........an enthusiasts dream !

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:
As I remember, they also use Orions - what few they can get out of the US Navy.  
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Tophe

Thanks for the Forest correction instead of Fire. I had just tried to guess, from a German source about a CFD Bronco, but that did not matched the CDF marking. Now all is explained, thanks, and Ollie will tell us the name of the Quebec department using his P-38, I hope...
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Ollie

Oh, I painted the P-38 like a bird out West.  We don't need P-38s here, we have CL-415s, eh!  Plus with all the lakes we have, it's an amphib we need.

And no, I will not participate in any way into designing an amphibious jet P-38.

:lol:  ;)  

Tophe

I did not mean Canada needs badly P-38 fire bombers, as I respect plainly CL-215 & 415 as the best tools in the world for that, I was just meaning : "Ollie will tell us : what-if the QDF (?) had considered using this jet-P-38, before refusing as the Canadairs were far better ?". Not insulting our dear flying-boats, summer heroes on both sides of the Atlantic...

Ollie

You want a background?  Here is one.

This aircraft was developped jointly by Burt Rutan and Aero Union, using left overs P-38 parts in the Davis-Montana bone yard.  A new carbon fiber wing was developped, along with new booms.  J-85s were selected as powerplants.

Aircraft began operations in March 1997 in California and was proposed to various agencies, including SOPFEU in Québec.  When the leaders of the French-Canadian were shown the plane, they laughed so hard that one of them had to be treated because of hyperventilation.

SOPFEU still operates CL-415s.  

SOPFEU = Société de protection des forêts contre le feu.

;)  

Tophe

Thanks a lot, Ollie !  :)  And glory to the STOPFEU, even without twin-boomer... :)  

Ollie

Ahem, c'est SOPFEU Tophe.....