I.M. AMX......

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, October 09, 2008, 03:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian the Kiwi Herder

I have written to Italeri (the most obvious candidate) twice in the last couple of years to suggest/ask for them to produce one and received reply to the effect that they have received a number of other similar requests but are not planning to make one yet.

Now I know this has become something of a 'cause celebre' in any number of modelling circles/websites, but I make no apologies for raising it here: We all know that the manufacturers do read these sites - or at least have the Internet equivelent of a cutting agency reading for them - so with that in mind, I'd like to get an idea from you guys as to whether you would like to see a mainstream injection molded AMX in any scale on the shelves......

OK over to you lot - (Moderators: Are there any rules about copying this thread (as a link) to Italeri/Airfix/RoG etc in the future ?)

Ian

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Radish

Good idea.
Well done Ian.
I suggested a few years ago that a Cr.42 would be good....and "hey", look what happened!
Mind you, about 40,000 others probably suggested the same! :wacko:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

upnorth

I've shot a few emails to Italeri asking them to consider a 1/72 Piaggio P.180 Avanti and recieved similar response to Ian's requests of an AMX.

Here's hoping.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Weaver

Can't see any Earthly reason why there isn't an AMX kit out. It's the only Italian AF combat jet that's uniquely (well nearly) "their's", it was in action over the Balkans in the 1990s, and would be the prime candidate for any future out-of-area urgent deployment in the same way that the Jaguar was. If there's room for the endless stream of Jaguar kits, then, then surely there's room for the Italian equivalent?

An AMX kit would also have excellent Whiff Potential, since it was and is a prime candidate for exports, re-engining, revised avionics etc.....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitnut617

I'm fairly certain that there's a resin kit in 1/72 out there, I thought it was made by one of the South American companies I have saved in My Favorites, but right now I can't find it

Edit: I'm not too familiar with this aircraft, is this the Aermacchi AMX ?  If so, our friends at Aeroclub did one in 1/72, then there's Aero Kit 1/72, Cunarmodel 1/72, Diorama 1/72, PD Models 1/48 1/72, Warrior 1/72
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Nick

I have the Aeroclub AMX kit and it has injection moulded body, metal landing gear and missile rails, vac-form canopy and an etched brass ejection seat. Only cost me £6 at the Brampton show!

I also have the Warrior AMX kit which is all resin apart form the vac-form canopy and metal landing gear. Both are in 1/72 and can provide a good build model.

Did you know that Venezuela ordered 8, 12 or even 24 which were blocked by the US on grounds of advanced technology?

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Yep, the Aermacchi AMX..... I am aware of the Aeroclub kit - I had one but gave it to a friend of mine from Spain - that's why I headed this with I.M. for injection molded. Also in the last line of my opening post, I said "Mainstream injection molded"

I just want to be able to go to my LHS and buy a good kit (in whatever scale) of this cracking little machine and build right from the box - probably as a 'What If' - for not too much money and have it go together quickly and easily..... in the same way as a RoG Hunter, Italeri Hawk, Esci F-5 or Hasegawa F-20.

Is it really too much to ask ?

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

Ed S

We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

kitnut617

Sorry Ian, I.M. went straight over my head, I was looking in my references for a manufacturer called IM and all I could find was Aermacchi,---  doh!  :banghead:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

jcf

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on October 09, 2008, 09:03:00 AM
Yep, the Aermacchi AMX..... I am aware of the Aeroclub kit - I had one but gave it to a friend of mine from Spain - that's why I headed this with I.M. for injection molded. Also in the last line of my opening post, I said "Mainstream injection molded"

I just want to be able to go to my LHS and buy a good kit (in whatever scale) of this cracking little machine and build right from the box - probably as a 'What If' - for not too much money and have it go together quickly and easily..... in the same way as a RoG Hunter, Italeri Hawk, Esci F-5 or Hasegawa F-20.

Is it really too much to ask ?

Ian

I'm sure that if you are willing to fork over a major chunk of the development cost... probably well north of $250,000, that they would
be happy to proceed.  ;D

If one takes a cold look at marketability, the obscurity, limited usage and thus limited general appeal of the aircraft makes for a weak
business case for a full blown 'state-o-the-art' kit. Based on Italeri's most recent pricing trends it would also be an expensive little model.

That said Italeri is doing more work with MPM, so perhaps something will come from that quarter.

It is a pretty little plane.

Jon

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on October 09, 2008, 03:00:25 AMOK over to you lot - (Moderators: Are there any rules about copying this thread (as a link) to Italeri/Airfix/RoG etc in the future ?)

Ian,

Providing the link directly to Italeri or any other manufacturer is not a problem since this is an open forum.  Would be nice if Italeri signed up as a member to provide us with up to date information on their products but that is just wishful thinking on my part. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Thanks for the guidance Jeff  :thumbsup:- I'll step back for a while and let the thread run, see where it goes.

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

lancer

Personally I woul dlove to see this little beauty produced i 1/72. I have always wondered why it has been bypassed by the major manufacturers. Besides, it's not just Italian  but part Brazillian as weel so that opens up the South American market for wiffs. Oh heel, the wiffing potentioal of this litte bugger are almost endless. I would love half a dozen or so in my stash
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

puddingwrestler

I assume you don't mean this...

Cause, you know, we'd want it in 1/24. And it'd be cool. But it'd be from an american company.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Damian2

I'd take a few in 1/48!! The AMX is right up there with the Hawk 200 and Skyhawk when it comes to my fav little attack jets!!

Oh yeah seeing as they've done a Hawk 60 why not a 100/200 too Italeri?

D
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.