Aircraft of different lengths...ideas?

Started by Radish, October 09, 2008, 03:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: Brian da Basher on October 29, 2008, 01:39:58 AM
Weaver my good man, your Super Snootster, Airananaconda and Pinocchio are the apex of whiffery! They are also proof positive that you indeed belong here with the rest of us.

Keep up the outstanding work!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

P.S. That bit about the cruiser Fiasco is priceless!

Thanks Brian, BUT I must point out, before I get bombarded with antipodean confectionery, that the Super Snootster is the work of Mr. Puddingwrestler, not myself.

Weaver
Cheesenapper
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: Daryl J. on October 17, 2008, 01:31:10 PM
This thread is just weird enough it would fit perfectly in Portland, OR.   :wub: :wub: :wub:   I love it!
Does anyone have the capability to illustrate an Aaaaaaaaaaaaardvarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrk? Or RDVRK for that matter?

:cheers:
Daryl J.

Okay, you asked for it. No, you really DID ask for it......

That was NOT easy! The 'vark is remarkably short of parrallel sections, and everything overlaps everything else, hence the crudeness of some bits of the long one: I could have taken all week over that one.... :rolleyes:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Mossie

You've missed the 'Ard-Vark, the bar brawler with seriously beefed up superstructure!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Brian da Basher

Quote from: Weaver on October 29, 2008, 01:44:30 AM
Weaver my good man, your Super Snootster, Airananaconda and Pinocchio are the apex of whiffery! They are also proof positive that you indeed belong here with the rest of us.

Keep up the outstanding work!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

P.S. That bit about the cruiser Fiasco is priceless!

Thanks Brian, BUT I must point out, before I get bombarded with antipodean confectionery, that the Super Snootster is the work of Mr. Puddingwrestler, not myself.

Weaver
Cheesenapper

PW, I was so overcome with delight that I missed sending my praise your way on coming up with such an excellent concept as the Super Snootster!

Love it!!! The extra spats are the cherry on top!
:wub: :wub: :wub:
Brian da Basher

P.S. Thanks for pointing that out, Cheesenapper Weaver!

Weaver

Inspired by a discussion on Maverick's profile thread:

Dismayed by the performance of the Defiants supplied to them under Lend Lease by Great Britain, the Soviets set about improving them. However, due to a shortage of capacity in the aircraft industry, they were forced to turn to the designers of the T-35 heavy tank, with predictably disasterous results:

- Indiana Jones

puddingwrestler

Dammit man, the Snootster is mine! All mine!
signed: The phantom profiler.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

puddingwrestler

I've just been reading a book on 1960s automobile advertising in America, and it made me think of this thread. Now I realise american cars of the 60s where often of the land yacht persausion, but the artists for the adverts pull every trick to make them look EVEN BIGGER! There's an Oldsmobile in there which would take up two lanes (and yet the driver and his wife are sitting so close they pactically touch), and plenty of Caddilacs which are longer than stretch limos. I know a lot of car advertising works by making the car look bigger and more spacious, but in some of the cases in this book, it'd actually turn me off buying the car because I'd find it easier to park an aircraft carrier. There's actually some wonderful modeling potential in these pics (like the heavily modified P47 inspired by squashed box pics which appeared here last year, sorry, but I cannot remember who built it right now...), as you could not simply take the normal car and fit a smaller crew as it were - you have to add length and width, but keep the same height really.
Here are some examples of the sort of ads I mean plundered from the web (what? me? scan?)
An excellent example taken from a sales brochure (each page is one image, and the pics are all double page spreads, so you need to look at them together)

The book in question.

A fine example of the super stretched look

A fine example fo the 'just how wide isd this car anyway?' look

Pontiac's new pancake look...

The engine's in a different time zone to the fuel tank...

I should poitn out that I'm an Australian, and our cars tend to be smaller. I should also point out that I drive one of these (so my ideas on car length could be biased!):

Weaver

Heh - nice one.

Reminds me of the film "Brazil". Our hero drives past a government car advert showing a happy, 1950s-style family of five enjoying their standard citizen's car. Then the camera zooms out to show that he's driving the same car, but it's a Messerschmitt bubble car: tight for one...... ;D Great little bit of film-making: tells you a lot about the impoverished, propaganda-driven world he lives in, without a single word of clunky exposition.

- Indiana Jones

puddingwrestler

It's not just a Messer buddle; it's a messer bubble with a jet engine looking thing on the back!

upnorth

Anyone know where I can get a Shorts 360?

I would like to do a Shorts 720, 1440, and 2880

If that works well, I'll got the other way and do a 180, 90, 45, 22.5, 11.25, 5.625, 2.8125, and 1.40625.

All this culminatining in the shortest of Shorts aircraft, the 0.703125

To quote Shorts' own pitch line for the 0.703125: "Any Shorter, and it would be inside out!"

Needless to say, it was a dismal failure.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Aircav

Quote from: Weaver on October 29, 2008, 05:35:59 PM
Inspired by a discussion on Maverick's profile thread:

Dismayed by the performance of the Defiants supplied to them under Lend Lease by Great Britain, the Soviets set about improving them. However, due to a shortage of capacity in the aircraft industry, they were forced to turn to the designers of the T-35 heavy tank, with predictably disasterous results:

Someones got to build that, its great  :thumbsup: :bow:
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

B777LR

Stretch airliners:

MD-11 (as planned)
ATR-72 (ATR-92?)
BAe ATP (longer = lower CASM)
SAAB 2000 for 70 - 80 pax
SAAB 340 for 50 pax
Il-76 (there a rumors that this may happen)
An-124 (will happen soon)
An-12 (like the C-130J-30)
Il-114 for 70 pax
Concorde

G.Marcat

The F-111S (short) like me...

Maybe one day it could take shape.

B777LR

How about a stretched F-111, with a larger wing? Or an Su-24 :wub: And possibly a four man crew :party:

Hobbes

Quote from: B787 on September 13, 2009, 09:19:00 AM
Stretch airliners:

An-124 (will happen soon)

The An-225 is a stretched An-124...