Raspberry Ripple 1/72 S.E. 10 Seaton for the RAF 100

Started by Brian da Basher, October 12, 2008, 09:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

The Royal Aircraft Establishment was always on the cutting edge, ever since the earilest days of powered flight. This was shown to no better effect than during prototype development undertaken in the 1920s directed by Chief Design Engineer Sir Hammond-Rye. Prior to taking that post, Sir Hammond-Rye served as British Air Attache in the United States. Sir Hammond-Rye spent much of his tour as Air Attache in pursuit of the Perfect Reuben sandwich. Sometimes, he couldn't help but let his official duties take priority over this quest. While enjoying a Reuben at Ruby's Diner near Selfridge Field, Michigan in 1924, Sir Hammond-Rye was astonished to see the the U.S. Army still using W.W. I vintage S.E.-5s as trainers. He discovered the American S.E.-5s had been re-built with steel framework and up-engined. This convinced him there was a lot of potential left in the S.E.-5. When he took up work at the R.A.E. he immediately began designing a prototype fighter based on the soundness of the S.E.-5. Thus the R.A.E. S.E.-10 was born. The new aircraft had a steel tube frame, an enclosed canopy for the pilot and was powered by the Mystel-Berkury radial engine wearing a drag-reducing Townend Ring. To further enchance streamlining, the S.E.-10 also had a pair of spatted, split axle landing gear. While preparing the prototype for her maiden flight, a semi-literate fitter mis-read the aircraft's designation as "Seaton" and the name stuck.

Continued...

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

Sir Hammond-Rye's S.E.-10 Seaton was visciously fast and wickedly maneuverable. It set a time-to-altitude record during testing in 1927. The leap-forward in technology was impossible for even the most moribound of the upper echelon R.A.F. command to notice, and a service test squadron of 10 Seatons was ordered in 1928. While never placed into mass-production, the Seaton provided valuable service as a test platform and was crucial in development of the Gloster Gladiator.

The sole remaining S.E.-10 Seaton can be seen on display at the Museum of the Royal Aircraft Establishment in Hampshire, in the annex just off the canteen where the Sir Hammond-Rye Reuben sandwich is proudly served.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

The base kit for this project was the 1/72 Revell S.E.5a, which is suposed to look like this:

Oops.

I modified it by attaching the engine, cowling and prop from a Monogram P-26, which seemed like a natural fit. I added a canopy left over from an Oscar and used the interplane 'N' struts from a Matchbox P-12E for a racy look. I used spats courtesy of Aeroclub and armed it with machine guns found at the bottom of my spares box. Rigging was accomplished with .008 wire and Gator Glue.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

The entire model was brush painted by hand with acrylics. I used Polly Scale's incredibly awesome Reefer White, Red and Blue and a fair amount of Tamiya tape for the paintjob. The engine cyllinders were done with Model Masters Steel and a wash of Gunmetal. The markings all came from the kit decals.

This is my final project for the RAF 100. I had a blast building it and I hope you enjoyed the pictures and backstory.

Brian da Basher

traceyrb

Another awesome one, honey!!!!   :thumbsup:

The back story was also great-very creative.  Sir Hammond Rye-what a scream!!!!   :lol:

Have a great afternoon...Talk to you later.

Love ya!!!!   :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

PanzerWulff

Now thats a beauty Bri I have to say that this is my favorite of your more recent builds Kudos BIG TIME  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

SPINNERS

pyro-manic

Da Basher does it again! Creative, entertaining, and a great-looking model! I don't know how you manage to do this time and time again....
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Damian2

Now thats a sweet build Mr. BdB! Will we be seeing more rippled WW I to WW II biplanes from you??

D
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

lancer

gotta be your finest yet Brian. Absolutely Awsome my friend.  Where did you get the character of Sir Hammond-Rye?? Totally brilliant and hilariously funny...
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

sequoiaranger

Maybe a new "Mistel" pic-a-back aircraft will appear named after another sandwich, the "chicken-and-egg" sandwich known as the "Mother and Child Reunion".

Nice, colorful work BdB.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Ed S

Raspberry ripple on a bipe.  COOL!   :thumbsup:

For some reason, particularly the side view with the enclosed cockpit, it reminds me of a cropduster.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

sotoolslinger

Man that is slick :wub: Beautiful paintjob and a very sleek dangerous looking aircraft :thumbsup: :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

BlackOps

Brian, this one rocks! (well your builds usually do but this one rocks hard!)  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.