1/144 "Peaceliner" in progress

Started by Brian da Basher, October 16, 2008, 11:48:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

Here's a few teaser shots. I'm hoping to get better pics and the backstory up in a day or two. Looks like I'm going to have to build a stand to hold this beast for its fashion shoot.
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

Logan Hartke

Gorgeous, Brian.  The Big Stick is one of my favorite aircraft of all time.  Very nice.

Logan Hartke

John Howling Mouse

You have GOT to be kidding me with this one, Brian.   Just like that?  You pull off this sort of beauty as if it was a commonplace event?
I am soooooo jealous.  Wow, this is just one of those perfect ideas.  I still can't get over the blended nose from two dissimilar kits/diameters.

How are you getting over the SPATS!-free aspect of the build, though?

:bow: :thumbsup: :wub:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Brian da Basher

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on October 21, 2008, 05:14:10 PM
You have GOT to be kidding me with this one, Brian.   Just like that?  You pull off this sort of beauty as if it was a commonplace event?
I am soooooo jealous.  Wow, this is just one of those perfect ideas.  I still can't get over the blended nose from two dissimilar kits/diameters.

How are you getting over the SPATS!-free aspect of the build, though?

:bow: :thumbsup: :wub:

I do have the shakes. Spats withdrawl I think. ;)

I've been planning this project for over two years. I've got a Lockheed Electra turbo-prop hanging near my "accurate" B-36 in the ceiling fleet, and that's when the idea hit me. Of course, the Electra's nose would've probably been a better fit, but I was too cheap and opted for the $5 DC-6 instead. Now I hear Squadron is selling DC-6s for $2!
:banghead:
Brian da Basher

P.S. Here's one more pic.

sotoolslinger

Runnin through the country I completely missed this :o :rolleyes: :blink: Just beautiful :wub: :bow: I can't believe how fast you build. :thumbsup:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Jeffry Fontaine

Spat withdrawal? 

Nurse!  20cc of spats and tonic followed up with a bourbon IV drip STAT!

Brian,

Looking spectacular!  Who would have ever thought that a B-36 would look that swell with all of those windows? 

Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Ed S

Great!  That is one fine looking model and one very creative WHIFF.   :thumbsup:

:cheers:
Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

kitnut617

That looks just right Brian, fantastic build.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Chap

This has to be one of my favorite projects in some time, fantastic work Brian!

~Steve

bexwh773

Brian,

Not only does your model look very proffessional, but, the end result actually looks like its been rolled out of an aircraft R&D dept for type concept testing. I started reading this thread with my breath held, but within seconds I needed an industrial sized drool bucket :bow:

Thanks for sharing

Bex

P.S: Always liked the B-36  :wub:
Becky aka Bex

Big Bird

Nice work Brian, it looks like it should have been.  :thumbsup:

Brian da Basher

The post-war years were a time of great consolidation in the U.S. aircraft industry. In fact, even Consolidated was consolidated, becoming part of Boeing in 1946. Of all the Consolidated projects, Boeing was most impressed by the B-36 Peacemaker and continued work on a civilian transport version, the C-270, dubbed the Peaceliner.

Boeing had trouble designing a nose for their new huge transport, and hired an exotic dancer named Lulu Charms to do a little spying at the 1947 Airframe Engineers convention. Upon seeing Miss Charms' amazing "natural talents", a Douglas airframe designer whistled and said "What a lulu!" Early the next morning, Miss Charms emerged from the man's hotel room with some blueprints.

Upon rollout at the 1947 Seattle air show, Donald Douglas immediately recognized how much the nose of the new Peaceliner resembled that of a DC-6 and exclaimed "Those Boeing clowns stole my nose!!!"

Continued...

Brian da Basher

sotoolslinger

Stunning  :wub:I still can't believe you did that so fast with that level of quality :bow: :bow: :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Brian da Basher

The size of the Peaceliner was indeed impressive. It could carry 250 passengers and 65,000 lbs. of cargo. It was also able to cruise at high altitudes so passengers were rarely troubled by turbulence. Still, the design was unproven and few airlines were willing to risk placing orders.

In October of 1947, the perogie magnate Aloishous T, Sr. (the original Mr. T and spouse of Mrs. T) bought a controlling interest in Allegheny Airlines, a Pittsburgh-based regional carrier, and ordered 20 Boeing C-270 Peaceliners. Allegheny immediately put them to work on the Pittsburgh to Erie run where they were able to carry the entire staff of the Pittsburgh and Lake Erie Railroad's northern operation. Once the phenomenal 8,000 mile range of the Peaceliner was discovered, Allegheny Airlines put the new airliner on its Pittsburgh to Buffalo, Pittsburgh to Lackawanna and Pittsburgh to Chicago routes as well. Eventually other carriers bought the new Peaceliner, but Allegheny Airlines was remembered for being the first. Peaceliners served until the advent of jetliners in the 1960s, and the sole surviving Allegheny Airlines C-270, N967VJ ("Very Jigunda") can be seen on display at the former Greater Pittsburgh International Airport terminal, across the highway from the office of Dr. Douglas Schnozz, a plastic surgeon who specializes in nose jobs.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

The entire project took me five days to build and over four hours to decal. The decals are a mix of Allegheny Airlines liveries available from Airline Hobby Supplies whom I heartily recommend for selection, value and very fast service! A couple of the doors and the emergency exits came off a generic sheet of airliner decals that site offered on sale for a couple of bucks and the old 1930s Boeing logo near the tail is from the sheet for the Williams Bros.' 1/72 Boeing 247. Speaking of that logo, here's a shot of it.

Brian da Basher