G

Leopard WHIF

Started by GINge!, October 17, 2008, 05:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Matador was originally proposed to the US Army for its SPAAG programme which eventuated in the Sgt. York abomination.  If they had accepted either Gepard or Matador, they'd have had a functioning system up and running well and truly by the start of the 1980s.  Instead they have nothing worthwhile in 2010.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

GTX

Quote from: MAD on January 01, 2010, 09:58:47 PM
Great find Greg!!

I am especially interested in the 30mm Matador SPAAG!!
Any related info of this system with the pics?
Was the Matador a Bundeswehr endorsed program??
If so - I find it ironic that the Germans were able to develop both this and the Gepard - whilst the U.S Army has failed so dismally in fielding a modern and effective SPAAG!

Essentially, this and the Gepard were competitors for the same requirement:

In 1965, the then West German Army was seeking a replacement for the clear-weather, United States M42. It would have an all-weather fire-control system and be based on the chassis of the Leopard 1 Main Battle Tank (MBT). In June 1966, a contract was placed for the development of a twin 30 mm vehicle that later became known as the Matador. Prime contractors for this were Rheinmetall (armament and turret), AEG-Telefunken (target tracking radar and computer), Siemens (search radar and IFF) and Krauss-Maffei/Porsche (chassis and power supply system). 

At the same time, a contract for two vehicles armed with twin 35 mm cannon was awarded to a consortium consisting of Oerlikon (armament and turret) Contraves (computer and systems integration), Siemens-Albis (tracking radar), Hollandse Signaalapparaten (search radar) and Krauss-Maffei/Porsche (chassis and power supply system). These two prototypes were called the 5PFZ-A and were delivered in 1968.

Following comparative trials with the Matador and the 5PFZ-A, a decision was taken in 1970 to concentrate further development on the twin 35 mm version developed in Switzerland. This eventually became the Gepard

Quote from: MAD on January 01, 2010, 09:58:47 PM
Secondly - the Leopard 1 based MLRS system (the prototype -as opposed to the model!) - does it state the type and calibre of the rocket?
They seem so much larger than the 'Light Artillery Rocket System' (LARS) 110mm - the standard MLR system until replaced my the M270 MLRS.

M.A.D

Less information here I'm afraid - there is a reference to 300mm rockets though.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

MAD

Thanks for your reply and info Greg
Up until know I never realized the Gepard had a competitor!
As for the Bundeswehr (or was it a private program??) its almost a 9A52 (BM-30) 'Smerch' - at least a decade before the the Soviet system - alas - only in 6-rounds ready to fire, as apposed to the Smerch's 12-rounds!!
It would be interesting to see this West German 300mm MRL system on the very capable M.A.N 8x8 10t truck- as used by the Bundeswehr as part of their Patriot SAM system :thumbsup:

M.A.D 

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: MAD on January 02, 2010, 04:27:58 PM
<...> It would be interesting to see this West German 300mm MRL system on the very capable M.A.N 8x8 10t truck- <...>

:lol: Actually, that is my plan for a Revell 1/72 MAN 8x8 - give it the Smerch treatment.  :wacko: And maybe to an Academy M977, too.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

MAD

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on January 02, 2010, 06:15:47 PM
Quote from: MAD on January 02, 2010, 04:27:58 PM
<...> It would be interesting to see this West German 300mm MRL system on the very capable M.A.N 8x8 10t truck- <...>

:lol: Actually, that is my plan for a Revell 1/72 MAN 8x8 - give it the Smerch treatment.  :wacko: And maybe to an Academy M977, too.

Look forward to seeing your work!
After all these days it nonviable in today's environment!!

M.A.D

Jeffry Fontaine

There are six images of a 1/35th scale model built by Diethelm Berlage of a Leopard 1 hull equipped with a T72 turret as proposed to Malaysia. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

DarrenP

What if after the CAT disaster the British had bought the Leopard 2 instead of the Challanger as many pundits were advising be interesting to see the Up armoured versions for Granby and Telic!

GTX

Drawing of the earlier posted Matador SPAAG should anyone want one:

regards,

Greg

GTX

Some SAM equipped 'Gepard' proposals:

Regards,

Greg

MAD

Again - great find Greg with the Gepard_SAM proposal designs!!!!!!!!!

Can I ask what the source is that you are pulling this gold from??
Book?
Web??

M.A.D

ysi_maniac

Quote from: dy031101 on January 01, 2010, 10:20:57 PM
I actually found the Matador turret not looking out of place on a M48 chassis.  ;D

Just replace the cannons with Bushmaster II.
In fact, IMO can be modeled with a M48 turret. :thumbsup:
Will die without understanding this world.

dy031101

Allegedly a heavy IFV based on the OF-40, which is in term based on the Leopard 1.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

apophenia

TOMA is just the Sabiex ICV conversion fitted with the turret of the BMP-3.

Sabiex took a page from OTO Melara. The Sabiex ICV/TOMA IFV follows OTO's evolution from the 'Leopardino' to the front-engined Palmaria SP (original version, not the VCA 155). The main difference is that the ICV didn't need the Palmaria's 'extra' roadwheels.

But what are the odds of success? The Palmaria shifted from the tank's ZF transmission to a Renk front-drive gearbox (as did the PzH 2000). Yet most sources say that the Sabiex ICV retains the OF-40's original ZF 4HP250 transmission. How is that feasible?

At any rate, the OF-40/Sabiex IFV use Leopard 1 running gear. And we're told that OEM spares for Leo 1 running gears are now near-impossible to find.

Since Oto Melara dropped the Palmaria to build PzH 2000s, doesn't that suggest that surplus PzH 2000 hulls might make a better basis for a front-engined HAPC?

rickshaw

Not many OF-40s produced.  Are they proposing conversion of the small number sold to the UAE or are they suggesting new production in this modified form?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

apophenia

The ICV was to be a Temsah-style recycling program. New hulls, refurbished propulsion bits. Sabiex never said much more about their OF-40-based carrier designs. My guess is that the project died when the UAE counted how many BMP-3s they had in their inventory!