Mi-8/Mi-14/Mi-17 whiffs

Started by nev, October 18, 2008, 09:45:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

So, the Soviet theme for next years Nats inspired me to check the stash, and I realised that I have a couple of 72nd Mi-8s in there.  So, what to do with them?

The problem with the Hip is that every man and his dog used them, for just about every conceivable role, so coming up with a whiff is quite hard.

So far I have come up with 2 ideas

*  A spec ops Pave Lowski replete with lumps, bumps and heavy metal  :tank:

*  Blue Force aggressorski.  Paint it in all over Olive Drab, with Black stars

Would be interested if anyone knows of any real-world proposals that never made it to production.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

GTX

I'll check my files for "real-world proposals that never made it to production", but for now how about these ideas:

• US Presidential "Marine One" scheme;
  • Australian Army Scheme - I've always thought our army wanted a flying truck instead of a high tech aircraft;
  • Hip with Hind D style front.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: nev on October 18, 2008, 09:45:04 AM*  A spec ops Pave Lowski replete with lumps, bumps and heavy metal  :tank:

You beat me to it!  I was thinking of the same thing as I read the title and opened up the topic :) 

Of course you could make it a kit bash between the Italeri MH-53 Pave Low kit and your Hip to give it all of the requisite features including some very large fuel tanks and the mini-gun battery.  As far as the back story, maybe the Sultan of Brunei was denied the opportunity to procure the Sikorsky product and decided to go with the Mil design with all of the upgrades.  Indonesia or Malaysia are two other options but that all depends on how ambitious you want to get with the kit.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

ChernayaAkula

Pave Lowski would be cool. With IFR probe and the sensor array on the nose.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

deathjester

Joe C-P

A COD aircraft for the Kievs. Give it folding blades, Soviet Navy colours and markings, and fill the interior with cargo boxes and mail bags.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

deathjester

well in that case, how about fitting the chopper with Cheyenne style stub wings to offload the rotor during high speed cruising flight?

ChernayaAkula

Or delete the cargo bay and go for the CH-54 Tarhe/Skycrane look! :wacko:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

gunfighter

Any soviet type is a good candidate for red spain... :lol: